ForumsGamesOld Game of the Week

31 23047
Arm_Candy
Arm_Candy
716 posts
Bard

With quest games being so popular, many of the older games that do not and will not ever have quests become forgotten my the majority of players.

Each week, I will find a game that has been on this site longer than I have, play it, post it here and give it a brief overview so others who are interested may play it and discuss it.

This week's game is:

http://cache.armorgames.com/files/thumbnails/magnetism-495.png
Magnetism

This game was added to Armor Games in 2007, but it is actually even older than that. The goal of the game is to get the metal ball into the cup, while avoiding different magnets and obstacles and using them to your advantage at the same time. There are four sets of 25 levels, two which are played with the mouse and two with the keyboard. Timing and accuracy are required to beat every level of this underrated physics puzzler.

• 31 Replies
Ernie15
Ernie15
13,351 posts
Bard

I played this game for the first time over 10 years ago on a different site. Back then, I couldn't beat it, but I wasn't a very experienced flash gamer in 2005. I'm still not a very experienced flash gamer, but I can still beat Magnetism. Game A (the one where you just drop the ball) is quite easy.

One of my earliest game comments can be found there, and you don't have to scroll very far because there are only 71 comments for the entire game. Even in 2008, I was obsessed with level editors and wished Magnetism had one. Now, in 2015, I don't think Tyler Glaiel will go for it.

GeoffreyXIV
GeoffreyXIV
42 posts
Nomad

The physics appear accurate for when the ball interacts with a magnet, however when the ball interacts with a corner, that is one minute detail that the programmer didn't prepare for, as a corner is treated like a vertical face instead of two coming together, so the ball will get stuck bouncing on a corner with only a minor fraction of the ball coming in contact with the wood.

Arm_Candy
Arm_Candy
716 posts
Bard

@Ernie15 If it were a more popular series, a level editor would further enhance this already great game into something that could challenge players for years instead of several hours. It only takes one look at the comments to see that this game is not widely liked, one of the main reasons being it's too hard for most players already, so if most people consider these moderately easy levels to be too hard, very few people would actually appreciate user-built levels that were even trickier.

@GeoffreyXIV I have seen the corner glitch, and it is visible in the sequel as well. There is nothing stranger in this game than watching the ball bounce up and down in midair.

DrElmer
DrElmer
552 posts
Shepherd

Some of those levels with the goo and the arrow keys are like pulling teeth. Still a pretty good game, not great but pretty good.

Arm_Candy
Arm_Candy
716 posts
Bard

It turns out the only people who wanted to talk about Magnetism were the people who like to build custom levels in games. Maybe @Ernie15 has a point about that level editor. This week's game will be from a different category with the intention of drawing a different crowd.

This week's game is:

http://cache.armorgames.com/files/thumbnails/subterfuge-1662.jpg
Subterfuge

A turn-based strategy game played on a board, similar to Stratego with some similarities to chess, this game was added in 2008. The goal of each round is to capture your opponent's leader, which usually requires capturing all of their other pieces first. It starts out very easy, then becomes more difficult very quickly. Enemy pieces all appear the same, but some of them are harder to capture than others, so you must use your watch your enemies closely if you want to defeat them before they defeat you.

THUNDERRIFIC_X
THUNDERRIFIC_X
1 posts
Nomad

Flash games are the building blocks to all great graphic in depth game. AND JUST PLAIN OUT FUN!!!!

daydreamer01
daydreamer01
440 posts
Peasant

it's very interesting - it feels like a mix of Fire Emblem with the one hit k.o.
of chess

GeoffreyXIV
GeoffreyXIV
42 posts
Nomad

The AI plays terribly in all of the main missions. There is strategy to it, a pea-sized amount, but I beat every round on my first try, and sometimes I didn't have to kill all the units. I was most disappointed at how horribly the AI played in the final round, throwing his own warriors at my bombs, I defeated him in 3:41 on the first try, he didn't even put up a fight.

Arm_Candy
Arm_Candy
716 posts
Bard

This week's game, suggested by @MattEmAngel, is:

http://cache.armorgames.com/files/thumbnails/commando-141.png
Commando

Commando is an old school side-scrolling platform shooting game. It was added in 2007, but it may be older than that. If you like shooting people and helicopters, you will enjoy this game. Shoot anything that moves, avoid bullets and grenades, and try not to fall off dissolving surfaces. You have three lives to get the highest score you can. How high will your score be?

Ernie15
Ernie15
13,351 posts
Bard

I didn't like this game for three reasons:

1. You can't scroll backwards ever, even a little. The screen only moves in one direction.
2. Even after changing the controls, it still always reverted back to default, meaning I had to shoot with J, jump with K, and aim upwards with W. I would have switched the jump and the aim buttons, and I tried to, but it didn't let me.
3. The rockfall stage doesn't forgive minor mistakes. I jumped up and accidentally hit the edge of the platform and the whole thing fell down before I was on it. My character was still alive, but I couldn't see him, so all I could do was wait until he ran out of health.

My total score was 54150. I should've waited under the plane longer and killed more guys without destroying the plane to rack up points, but it wasn't worth it.

Arm_Candy
Arm_Candy
716 posts
Bard

@Ernie15 It does have some flaws. If you use the keyboard and mouse controls instead of keyboard controls, running, jumping, and grenade throwing is all done with one hand, and shooting and aiming is done with the other.

This week's game, suggested by @Hectichermit, is:

http://gamemedia.armorgames.com/351/icn_thmb.png
Sea of Fire

Sea of Fire is a strategy defense game submitted to Armor Games in 2007. To win each round, you must create units to destroy enemy units and, in the greater scheme, the enemy base before the enemy does the same to you. You can play in campaign mode or in skirmish mode. In campaign mode, you start off with only a few unit and building options, and you gradually gain more as you conquer new territories and mine new resources. In skirmish mode, building options are not limited except by the amount of starting cash you give yourself.

Hectichermit
Hectichermit
1,828 posts
Bard

Well given the age of the game, it was probably developed for lower resolution monitors. Just use a zoom tool on your browser, I think the graphics are all vector based and scale decently. Other than that I would say that given the style of strategy game this would be one of the better ones at the time. Though it has a fairly limited amount of replay value outside of bumping up the difficulty or choosing one of the two factions. If you haven't played it I would say give it a try.

weirdlike
weirdlike
1,299 posts
Prince

I enjoyed playing this game. Compared to newer games this one seems to still be on par, minus the graphics and unit control. It is a little buggy when it comes to unit production and available resources, but as long as you are watching your money, then you will be fine.

Arm_Candy
Arm_Candy
716 posts
Bard

This week's game of the week is:

http://cache.armorgames.com/files/thumbnails/greens-survive-only--13065.png
Greens Survive only when Reds Die

This puzzle platform game was added to Armor Games in 2012. The goal is very simple: kill the reds so the greens will survive. Greens must not touch any enemies or spikes, while the reds must touch them, and greens and reds must never come in contact with the opposite color. The catch is that all the characters are controlled at once, so they all move at the same time. Each level is also scored based on how long it takes to beat and how many coins have been collected. There are 28 levels, so it is a quick game, but not every level can be beaten in one try.

Ernie15
Ernie15
13,351 posts
Bard

It's a skill game more than a puzzle game. There's some thinking sometimes, but very little in total. It took me 15 whole minutes to beat every level with every coin. It would have thrived as a longer game with harder levels.

You should feature Galactic Gravity Golf. You might enjoy it yourself because it's a physics game similar to Magnetism.

Showing 1-15 of 31