ForumsGamesWhat is your favourite Mario platformer?

2 1734
gphpgl
gphpgl
14 posts
Nomad

A work mate and I got in discussion regarding Mario games and which was the better platform game. He would swing towards the more simplistic 2D style, where as I prefer the more complex 3D style. Dont get me wrong, I love Mario World, Yoshi’s Island etc but I have to pick one game It would have to be Mario 64.

Jaws dropped when I played Mario 64 for the first time (purchased on launch day) I couldn’t imagine on just how they would make a 3D platformer, but Nintendo managed it. I also loved on how open it was, being able to pick an choose levels, open up other areas of the castle, draining the moat outside, activating the coloured power-up switches which would then change on how you tackled a level and so on. Jolly Rodger Bay was always the level for me too – The freedom, swimming, discovering the giant eel for the first time, the music changing when you entered the cave…………..

I did enjoy Mario Sunshine even though it was very hard for me. The Galaxy games are also very impressive too, with some fantastic, imaginative levels. But it will always be Mario 64 for me.

So, if you had to pick just one, what would it be?

• 2 Replies
thebluerabbit
thebluerabbit
5,346 posts
Farmer

i cant choose between 3d or 2d cause i love them both for different reasons. i think id love sunshine the most but unfortunately i never had it.

i guess my fav would be galaxy (the first only though). it had amazing music, was pretty unique and the story of rosalina is deep and sad.

R2D21999
R2D21999
18,319 posts
Treasurer

3D Mario because Sunshine is awesome.

Although, 2D Mario now has Super Mario Maker, and it does seem like an awesome game.

Showing 1-2 of 2