ForumsThe Tavern[req] Things to do with only one hand?

24 12264
SportShark
SportShark
2,980 posts
Scribe

As you might have heard, I injured my right hand about ten days ago. I made the huge mistake of waiting a while to get it examined (I don't like hospitals and I didn't think that it would be this bad).

Actual damage.
http://rs144.pbsrc.com/albums/r196/Eye_of_Azure/Mobile%20Uploads/tmp_9909-IMG_20151019_183811545003135_zpsunogp9md.jpg?w=480&h=480&fit=clip

So my left hand is completely out of action now, so I am basically interested in opinions on things I can do (other than watch TV and read of course) and general conversational info about this kind of stuff (the med staff didn't tell me anything helpful about it, they just rebroken it and set it). Good time to reflect on your own experiences of this nature too if you like.

• 24 Replies
FishPreferred
FishPreferred
3,171 posts
Duke

Plumb the metaphysical mysteries of the universe. You don't need any limbs for that.

Also, is that your main or secondary hand?

Alp_Ehni
Alp_Ehni
315 posts
Farmer

What you always could do is go for a hike, do silly dances, go on music festivals, watch videos and stroke random cats.

SportShark
SportShark
2,980 posts
Scribe

Also, is that your main or secondary hand?

Unfortunately that is my right hand and I am right handed so I can't do many of the things I like like a drawing for instance.

what you always could do is go for a hike, do silly dances, go on music festivals, watch videos and stroke random cats.

I like the hike idea, but I have just two issues with it, first I like to be 100% before going off by myself into the unknown and secondly you should know that the cast goes most of the way up my forearm so I have no way to clean my skin for a couple of months, so sweating may not be a very good idea.
Silly dances - uh... The sweating idea still applies, dancing by myself gets boring pretty fast, and five pounds of stiff plaster and vinyl on my right arm isn't going to approve.
Watch videos- one of the better ideas here, but I can only take so much before my eyeballs start to melt and the skin on my forehead begings to peal off.
Stroke random cats- this is a good suggestion, but the cats would be getting the pleasure. I have only two cats and it might be harder than you think to chase down cats on the street and force myself upon them.
09philj
09philj
2,825 posts
Jester

Play solitaire.
Play solitaire again.
Browse the internet.
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Listen t more music.
Catch up on those films.

SportShark
SportShark
2,980 posts
Scribe

Play solitaire.
Play solitaire again.

I can't shuffle cards with one hand.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Idk what this cute face means.
FishPreferred
FishPreferred
3,171 posts
Duke

Unfortunately that is my right hand and I am right handed so I can't do many of the things I like like a drawing for instance.
Teach yourself to draw and/or write with the other hand. That ought to keep you occupied.
R2D21999
R2D21999
18,319 posts
Treasurer

Play a video game or something using one hand. I don't have any experience in this kind of stuff, so that's my only idea.

SportShark
SportShark
2,980 posts
Scribe

@screwthelag, I'm pretty sure I know what it is. If he's implying that this face is best achieved with my left hand only, he's very uninformed.

awsomejazz123
awsomejazz123
346 posts
Scribe

OW! OW! (And oh yeah) OWWWW!!! That looks like it hurts! And the things that you van possibly do with one hand would be to try a hand stand with it (I don't recommend doing it though)

SportShark
SportShark
2,980 posts
Scribe

OW! OW! (And oh yeah) OWWWW!!! That looks like it hurts!

It certainly doesn't feel that great, but it's not as bad as most people make it (broken bones) out to be. From personal experience I have found that illnesses like food poisoning are usually more painful/uncomfortable than injuries like broken bones and sprains. Thanks for the concern though!

And if you don't understand why, then you don't actually know what that face means.

My dear Holmes, I can assure you that I most certainly do understand.
Arm_Candy
Arm_Candy
716 posts
Bard

You could play chess and hone your skills against a computer. Even against a human opponent, you only need one hand to play chess.

apldeap123
apldeap123
1,708 posts
Farmer

I'm thinking simply here, but you can still bake with one hand. It would take a lot longer to do it, but the task is still possible.

SportShark
SportShark
2,980 posts
Scribe

You could play chess and hone your skills against a computer. Even against a human opponent, you only need one hand to play chess.

I'm thinking simply here, but you can still bake with one hand. It would take a lot longer to do it, but the task is still possible.

Finally, some better ideas! I like both of these, guys. Mmmm, what should I bake? Pie? Potato dishes? Seasoned meat?

As for the chess, I can set the computer's voice to Victoria. Then it will feel like I have a pretty girlfriend sitting across from me. My well developed imagination is a gift from God as far as I'm concerned.

GhostOfNinja
GhostOfNinja
600 posts
Farmer

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

yeah no, that's not happening with the nondominant hand

gaboloth
gaboloth
1,613 posts
Peasant

Trying to draw with your left hand can be a pretty good idea. When I tried it myself for the first time, I was really surprised how natural and raw the left hand drawings looked.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
yeah no, that's not happening with the nondominant hand

...you're making me feel like I'm weird now.

Showing 1-15 of 24