ForumsThe Tavern[req] Things to do with only one hand?

24 12274
SportShark
SportShark
2,980 posts
Scribe

As you might have heard, I injured my right hand about ten days ago. I made the huge mistake of waiting a while to get it examined (I don't like hospitals and I didn't think that it would be this bad).

Actual damage.
http://rs144.pbsrc.com/albums/r196/Eye_of_Azure/Mobile%20Uploads/tmp_9909-IMG_20151019_183811545003135_zpsunogp9md.jpg?w=480&h=480&fit=clip

So my left hand is completely out of action now, so I am basically interested in opinions on things I can do (other than watch TV and read of course) and general conversational info about this kind of stuff (the med staff didn't tell me anything helpful about it, they just rebroken it and set it). Good time to reflect on your own experiences of this nature too if you like.

• 24 Replies
etg2002
etg2002
703 posts
Scribe

A. @gaboloth i thought you were gantic because of the armatar, where did you get it?

B. i have a good idea. have you ever just sat there a thought? REALLY thought? like, contemplating the universe thought? try it. i do it a lot, and the time goes by quicker than you THOUGHT. (oh, puns!) or read. a star wars book. by Timothy Zahn. he is a good writer. or play random mouse only flash games. i love those things.

gaboloth
gaboloth
1,613 posts
Peasant

Oh wow, it was one of the basic choices when I picked it. I had no idea it became a rare one in between! Guess I'm gonna never change it again then.

FishPreferred
FishPreferred
3,171 posts
Duke

B. i have a good idea. have you ever just sat there a thought? REALLY thought? like, contemplating the universe thought? try it.
That was the first suggestion on page 1.
Ernie15
Ernie15
13,349 posts
Bard

Plumb the metaphysical mysteries of the universe. You don't need any limbs for that.

How do you expect to operate a plumb bob without the use of limbs?

SportShark
SportShark
2,980 posts
Scribe

B. i have a good idea. have you ever just sat there a thought? REALLY thought? like, contemplating the universe thought?

This is both a good and bad idea. Good because it can expand the mind, create new solutions to stuff, help one find new perspectives, etc..
But it's also bad because it snaps you back to reality sometimes and can remind you just how insignificant and pathetic you are. Another reason I dislike the thinking about the universe thing is that sooner or later my mind comes around to wondering if I'm going to go to hell forever and I can't snap out of it for like 2 days. I think somebody once said "I don't believe in God but I'm afraid of him". I feel like that every now and then so that's why I often avoid deep thought about the universe and stuff like that.

Trying to draw with your left hand can be a pretty good idea. When I tried it myself for the first time, I was really surprised how natural and raw the left hand drawings looked.

I tried drawing a picture tonight and it turned out okay. It's titled " Picture of the Derelict Kneeler Award of 2021" I swear I'm not making any of this up.
etg2002
etg2002
703 posts
Scribe

here we go. how about you go and play a nice game of Chinese chess? or checkers... you know, the game with the six pointed star for a game board.

FishPreferred
FishPreferred
3,171 posts
Duke

How do you expect to operate a plumb bob without the use of limbs?
Just what do you think teeth are for?

It's titled " Picture of the Derelict Kneeler Award of 2021" I swear I'm not making any of this up.
Could you elaborate on the premise of this?
SportShark
SportShark
2,980 posts
Scribe

Could you elaborate on the premise of this?

Sure. It came to be in this way: I started off trying to draw a dude, but it ended up looking quite shabby. It soon became apparent that the dude was quite dere-leeckt, so I decided to emphasise his derelicticty. I accomplished this by mounting him atop a trophy which I labeled after him. Bravado!

Just what do you think teeth are for?

For scaring people of course.

I suggest everyone practice doing things with their non-dominant hand, really, because if you lose that good hand, you're not gonna be able to do cool stuff like draw ponies and beat up Asians (if you're racist).

I couldn't agree more, but if I were to practice the sports afore mentioned, I would sweat. Being unable to cleanse under a hot, tight fitting cast will result in a tremendous stench sooner or later so I should avoid activities like sports.
SportShark
SportShark
2,980 posts
Scribe

Sounds legit

You're darn right.
http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r196/Eye_of_Azure/Mobile%20Uploads/tmp_8498-IMG_20151030_170915871895245168_zpsymp7ljvy.jpg

Showing 16-24 of 24