ForumsNews and FeedbackQuestion to those who think about quitting AG just because of the ads

18 12308
dorukayhan
dorukayhan
1,318 posts
Bard

this is a screenshot of all 5 ads a non-afg+ user can see at once(note that i zoomed out):

http://i.imgur.com/2ciwf3L.jpg?1

what could possibly go wrong? is it the ad #5 that brings up looping ads with sounds?

• 18 Replies
Arm_Candy
Arm_Candy
716 posts
Bard

Make the ads lighter weight by insisting that they be visual only

Unfortunately, Armor Games does not have much control over the ads they run, otherwise they would have probably already removed the video ads. Before people were upset about the sluggishness of the video ads, they complained about the length of the ones that cannot be skipped, so Armor Games knows that their gamers have never welcomed those ads. If they had the option to make every ad silent and motionless to keep the players happy, they definitely would, but the advertising service is ultimately in charge of which ads are displayed, so there is not much that can be done to pick and choose which ads can appear and which ones cannot.

Before I started using AFG+, I noticed that the ad increase contributed considerable slowness to games that had previously run perfectly, but I also noticed that different browsers handled the slowness differently. The main game I would play here was Crush The Castle 2 Players Pack, which ran slowly on both Firefox and Chrome, but considerably choppy on Chrome. Firefox ran it equally slowly, but it was a smooth slowness that did not ruin the timing of the game the way Chrome's jerkiness did. Since every computer is different, and my browsers are likely to run differently from yours, I cannot guarantee that you will have the same experience, nor can I verify that using one browser over another would make the lag more tolerable, but that is how I dealt with it.

FishPreferred
FishPreferred
3,171 posts
Duke

Hate to break another of your assumptions, but I do know what runs on my computer. I'm a computer tech IRL, and I happen to use my own computers for getting a feel for how certain tools run.
Right, so what you're telling me is that there's really no excuse for making the hasty conclusion you stated earlier, as you obviously know better than to blame AG's ads without full knowledge of their scripting. Or should I allow for the possibility that you are also on the programming team of one or more of these particular third-party ad providers?

Also, you complain about my offered solution, but don't make a counter-proposal, [...]
Complain? I told you it would be counterproductive, because it would be counterproductive. I made no proposal because I have nothing worth proposing. Right now, increasing AFG+ membership is the only solution that seems workable, but that's a long-term solution at best. Anything that makes ads less obvious, intrusive, or persistent is going to reduce the desirability of AG's adspace, so there needs to be something else in place to prevent that revenue from being lost.
scole86
scole86
6 posts
Chancellor

No, what I'm telling you is that I happen to know what's going on with my computer when it starts slowing down, because there are plenty of tools that you can use to see that information. I'm of the opinion that the sheer volume of ads and how they interfere with the games is causing people to either leave for better sites or turn on adblockers, with a few either enduring the ads or finding enough worthwhile to purchase AFG+. I'm pretty sure the first 2 categories individually outnumber the third, so it most likely is of greater benefit to try and get those people doing things the way you want them to, especially since the adspace on pages is currently utterly worthless for those people.

Showing 16-18 of 18