ForumsThe TavernAnd another classic AG glitch. Or an update?

63 19665
nivlac724
nivlac724
2,555 posts
Shepherd

Well i'm sure you can see what just happened I think it's an update it might be a glitch. I created this for two reasons. One: a mod's/admin's verification that this is or is not an update. Two: to talk about the changes made in this update. (If it is an update.)

• 63 Replies
boppins
boppins
774 posts
Bard

New forums, not a glitch. Although there may be glitches here and there, so please let me know if you notice anything! Post on my profile or @ me for any glitches.

And the 'new forums' is mostly just layout. There was a recode, but all the same old features should still be here.

Doombreed
Doombreed
7,022 posts
Templar

Well, UnleashedUponMankind confirmed it is an actual update

Now to talk about the update itself. Well, it certainly is...different XD. No seriously, it seems good but needs some polishing in my humble opinion. The white and grey is so far all there is to it...some colors, some more work and it could be great. But it is nice for a change

You know, AG3 may have been cancelled but this is the closest we are getting to it, isn't it?

*EDIT* Also, no ability to skip to the last page of threads? I don't see any button (please tell me it is right in front of me and I am just blind :/)

Doombreed
Doombreed
7,022 posts
Templar

OK...I am going to use this thread for it. @boppins

- Edit button. I've tried editing the previous post but the change doesn't show up.
- The Forums are not updated. We need to know the last threads that people posted in
- last user to post is also buggy.
- Number of replies also doesn't match some forums, like the CT100 which has more posts than 56145 (which is the number listed)
- No last page button. This one needs fixing. RIght now the only way to visit last pages is to divide the number of posts listed by 15 and put that number in the URL, adding some pages depending on the page's popularity (because posts from the last 3 days are ignored)
- Hard to navigate and understand what's going on. This is not just because I am not used to it. This is actually hard. Hard to know which thread is a sticky, the threads are all mixed up.

Now that we are finished with the functional problems, let's go to the aesthetic design.

- This needs some more colors. Definitely. It is al lgrey, it feels like it is a cached version of the page that Google uses when your internet connection is shaky.
- The posts are not even clearly separated, just by a thin grey line.
- Overall, I think adding frames, and some designs (which is obviously not a priority, as the functionality comes in first) would certainly not be missed. It looks a bit like a chat app right now.

Now onto the positives of the new interface:

+ The posting field
+umm...
+ I think that's it

*EDIT* Also, this post shows up twice for some reason...
*EDIT #2* I see the last page button has been updated...but due to the wrong number of posts on each thread, it doesn't get you to the actual last page, only a few pages back

So, it probably needs more work. The important thing is in my opinion to get rid of the glitches soon.

That's my opinion. Thanks for taking the time to read this. XD

Swarmlord2
Swarmlord2
2,081 posts
Marquis

I don't mean to be nasty @boppins, particularly because you look like a pink version of Mr Rainbow (see my profile), but I really don't like it (except for the posting bit but the buttons are hard to get on a touch screen although, as there are more, that is understandable). It may just be because I dislike change. In addition to what @Doombreed said, the online text is too bright relative to the background, the main forum lists are less clear, the bit at the top is annoying and the change in posts per page is annoying (10 is much more even and logical. Particularly because it makes post numbers fit better with page numbers). I think that that's it.

armorplayergc
armorplayergc
16,463 posts
King

And I guess that the timers are still glitched (the system thinks that the posts were made 2 or 3 minutes before the actual time)

I'm sorry, but I guess I liked the older version better

Graham
Graham
8,052 posts
Nomad

I certainly hope this is a glitch. I can't imagine this passing any quality control ever.

boppins
boppins
774 posts
Bard

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I've addressed most of these issues. Working on updating the post counts for all the threads to be accurate, that will take some time.

As for the new look and feel, we're not going to make any changes for a while at least. After it has sunk in and we all get a better feel for it, then we can look at making changes.

apldeap123
apldeap123
1,708 posts
Farmer

Even if the old forum's layout was not sleek comparable to the present one, I'd much prefer the old layout, because the way it was organized was much more clearer than it is now. Just my two cents on the matter.

SportShark
SportShark
2,980 posts
Scribe

Well, I sure got a surprise this morning when I did my routine log on. You know, I really hated disqus when it first came on to AG, but I love it now. I guess this new layout is just something I'll have to learn to like just like disqus. Farewell, old AG. I mean, I've been so familiar and comfortable with the now old layout that this is actually quite a shock. But as I said...

R2D21999
R2D21999
18,319 posts
Treasurer

I'd also like to add that the AFG and knight forums seem to be gone.

helpo1
helpo1
3,778 posts
King

Don't have many new things to say, since that post of Doom's is basically a result of our discussion. Even without the bugs, the old design and layout was definitely much more legible.

But you've definitely managed to bring a lot of activity into the Tavern chat, I'll give you that. :P

EDIT: And yes, secret forum(s) are not accessible.

Doombreed
Doombreed
7,022 posts
Templar

Well, nice to know you've been fixing the issues but fully half of them are still there

- The clock has been long bugged, even before the updated interface.
- I really don't get which thread is supposed to appear in the main page, right beside each category...is it the first on the list? because it is mostly stickied thread that haven't been updated for long time (for instance the thread that appears in the main page right next to "The Tavern" category is the picture thread)
- Last posts and last users posted are still bugged...in fact the "last post made by -" seems to have been removed completely, since only the OP shows up.
- Multiple CSRF security check fails...I've gotten this at least 3 times since the update which was less than 5 hours ago.
- Why does it say "Play Free Games Online at Armor Games" on every tab instead of the actual name of the page you are on (like "The Tavern&quot?

nivlac724
nivlac724
2,555 posts
Shepherd

Test Test Test

I assume since there is an option in the tool bar different sized text is allowed in the forums now.

Doombreed
Doombreed
7,022 posts
Templar

Well, nice to know you've been fixing the issues but fully half of them are still there

- I really don't get which thread is supposed to appear in the main page, right beside each category...is it the first on the list? because it is mostly stickied thread that haven't been updated for long time (for instance the thread that appears in the main page right next to "The Tavern" category is the picture thread)
- Last posts and last users posted are still bugged...in fact the "last post made by -" seems to have been removed completely, since only the OP shows up.
- Multiple CSRF security check fails...I've gotten this at least 3 times since the update which was less than 5 hours ago.
- Why does it say "Play Free Games Online at Armor Games" on every tab instead of the actual name of the page you are on (like "The Tavern&quot?

Doombreed
Doombreed
7,022 posts
Templar

Showing 1-15 of 63