ForumsWEPRTraditions

32 19303
EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,447 posts
Jester

This thread is for discussing traditions. You can talk about familial or personal traditions and what things you celebrate, ask questions about formal holidays and observances, or how important or unimportant it is to maintain traditions, etc.

• 32 Replies
Ntech
Ntech
257 posts
Shepherd

I go to Mass whenever I can - almost daily. It's a tradition many observe. Who is the best person you've met today? I met God.

Doombreed
Doombreed
7,022 posts
Templar

I go to Mass whenever I can - almost daily. It's a tradition many observe. Who is the best person you've met today? I met God.

Interesting distinction. Is God even a person however? What defines a person to you?

Moreover, what defines meeting someone?

Ntech
Ntech
257 posts
Shepherd

A person is a creature with a soul, sentient and made in the image and likeness of God. As a Catholic, I believe that God is present in the Eucharist, both physically and spiritually. His whole being is in the Eucharist - it is Him. So, since the Eucharist becomes God, and I receive Him, then I meet God.

Doombreed
Doombreed
7,022 posts
Templar

A person is a creature with a soul, sentient and made in the image and likeness of God.

Then God is not a person. He was never "made". According to your theory He is the first actuality. He was not created.

Ntech
Ntech
257 posts
Shepherd

God too is a person because he has a soul, and He is the very image and likeness of Himself.

Moegreche
Moegreche
3,827 posts
Duke

I found this link: Is God a person?

The quick answer is 'yes'. I also found a similar article called Does God have a soul? It was really interesting.

Edit:
I can't speak to the whole accuracy of what's in these articles--I don't have the competency to do that. According to their 'About', the answers here are provided after much prayer and answered by a faithful Christian. I worry here because different denominations can have radically different stances on some pretty fundamental questions (i.e. is communion a literal or metaphorical body/blood of Christ?).

I've honestly never thought these questions (I don't do philosophy of religion), but they're super interesting!

Ntech
Ntech
257 posts
Shepherd

@Moegreche, thankyou for your interest! If I may know, are you in any specific denomination?

Moegreche
Moegreche
3,827 posts
Duke

Oh, I'm an atheist. I'm just really enjoying the discussion I'm particularly interested in these properties of god we've been discussing. Like I said, I've never thought about those issues before. And I'm even more interested than when I wrote the above post. Unfortunately, I have no competency in this area whatsoever, so I'm crazy unqualified to discuss those things

Ntech
Ntech
257 posts
Shepherd

You seem to understand it greatly! You have more competence in this than many religious people

Doombreed
Doombreed
7,022 posts
Templar

Unfortunately, I have no competency in this area whatsoever, so I'm crazy unqualified to discuss those things

I mean, qualification is not really a necessity Just check me out talking about all things I haven't got a clue about

Boofuss
Boofuss
265 posts
Peasant

I mean. If God's going ahead and just creating everything out of nothing if you follow that whole thing, he's not a person in any sense that anyone can relate to is he? He's not like a person you pass in the street. Meeting the "Creator of All Things" is probably not something you'd be able to comprehend, so when I think person, I don't think omnipotent being.

Also really glad qualification's not necessary, I wouldn't get past the door

Ntech
Ntech
257 posts
Shepherd

@Boofuss
God is fully comprehendable, and yet totally uncomprehendable, yet I meet Him each time I receive Communion.

Boofuss
Boofuss
265 posts
Peasant

That's my point, he's not a person.

If you believe at transubstantiation that God's presence is with you, it's not a meeting of a person as say, meeting the priest is.

There's a difference, which means technically, God's not a person.

Ntech
Ntech
257 posts
Shepherd

I don't mean that God is with me, but that God is in me.

Boofuss
Boofuss
265 posts
Peasant

So it's meeting him or not meeting him?

The bell rung during mass is to signify God's presence entering the church isn't it? It's literally God coming into that place of worship. It's less a "meet and greet" and more a blessing of His presence as I understood it, it's not tangible in any sense and is greeted, again, as far as I'm aware with silent contemplation.

Showing 16-30 of 32