ForumsThe TavernHelp Me Make Potatoes Exciting

3 4133
R2D21999
R2D21999
18,319 posts
Treasurer

I swear to god, I promise this isn't going to be like my old fruit threads. Well, maybe a little...

Anyway, so potatoes are pretty cool. They've made classic food dishes such as french fries, tater tots, chips, hash browns, mashed potatoes, etc. One good-sized potato can pretty much fill a whole meal and I am convinced(by mostly myself) that if the food pyramid had room for another section of the pyramid, potatoes would most definitely fill that slot. Just potatoes.

However, what I have a major concern with is the baked potato. Now, I have no problem with the baked potato itself, it tastes pretty good and I'm not faulting the potato(although pre-wrapped microwave potatoes might not be the greatest choice.). I'm the one who is at fault, but not with cooking the potato. The problem I have is garnishing the potato, you know, making it taste better than it already does.

To me, no matter what I put on it, it always seems really dry and a little boring. I've put on butter, sour cream, shredded cheese, bacon bits and mushroom bits. I've probably put some other stuff but I don't remember. I'm also thinking for next time I try some pickle slices for some more acidity(dill of course. Bread-and-butter users are monsters.) but I don't know.

I was hoping you guys would give me some ingredients to put on the baked potato, maybe even tell me what I'm doing wrong with the current ingredients, cause I'm kind of just throwing them on. Also keep in mind that I'm not a cook, so I'd rather not do anything that requires any heating other than a microwave.

I don't trust myself with anything else.

Also make sure the ingredients are fairly cheap. As much as I'd like to try truffles or lobster for the first time, they're both pretty expensive.

• 3 Replies
FishPreferred
FishPreferred
3,171 posts
Duke

I'm also thinking for next time I try some pickle slices for some more acidity(dill of course. Bread-and-butter users are monsters.)
Garlic is superior to both in nigh every conceivable way. In fact, never mind the pickle, just use fresh garlic with butter and salt. Adjust the proportions to taste.
R2D21999
R2D21999
18,319 posts
Treasurer

Garlic? Hmmm... I've always thought most garlic flavored things tasted good, but I've never actually had straight-up garlic. I find that disturbing about myself. Perhaps next time I'll put that on the shopping list.

Would garlic butter give it some pizzazz as well? I think I might have some of that.

greeble
greeble
17 posts
Nomad

I'd say you're definitely on the right track with the fillings, with the notable excepion of baked beans - they're a staple! Also, a lot of the time the problem is with the skin going dry and bland while baking. Try covering the potatoes and then adding salt and pepper before you put it in the oven!

Showing 1-3 of 3