ForumsForum GamesTAG:BA Discussion Thread

31 15663
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,254 posts
Regent

This thread is reserved for discussions relating to the forum game The Armor Games: Battle Arena (Main Thread) (Character Creation).

Adress any problems, balance issues, suggestions, questions or strategy discussions here.

• 31 Replies
PLGuy
PLGuy
4,755 posts
King

I'd like to become a gladiator but I don't have much time now - I think I'll manage to create a character this weekend.

nousername757
nousername757
493 posts
Nomad

wont we know what the other person is going to do? this seems unfair
edit: scratch that just read OP more carefully

HahiHa
HahiHa
8,254 posts
Regent

I don't see any way that could prevent that. But in my opinion, that is mostly a flaw in a system where both players post in the same round, because the first to post is at a disadvantage. This is why I made my game turn-based; it limits this inequality to the first turn only, after that both get to react to the opponent's turn.

nousername757
nousername757
493 posts
Nomad

do we have max hp?
do we keep stats inbetween rounds? (inv and hp etc.)

HahiHa
HahiHa
8,254 posts
Regent

Max HP is defined by your strength. 5 STR = 100 (default), T1 STR = 110, T2 STR = 120, T3 STR = 130.

You start every new duel afresh, with full attributes and inventory.

nousername757
nousername757
493 posts
Nomad

how do we know how close we are to eachother?
do we have to be next to eachother or on the same space to melee? can we even BE on the same space?

HahiHa
HahiHa
8,254 posts
Regent

Ooh, right. Thanks for pointing that out. I'll mention it in the battle thread.

edit: no, you can't be on the same field. Melee range is considered distance 1. 2 fields distance means there's one empty field between you two. I decided to start duels at 2 fields distance, otherwise it might be a bit dumb for melee-only characters. This may change in the future depending on how well it goes.

editedit: Max distance will be limited at 5 (4 fields between players) for now.

nousername757
nousername757
493 posts
Nomad

there should be an option to just.. wait
also.. how do you do the randomization for shields and stuff? im curious

HahiHa
HahiHa
8,254 posts
Regent

Wellll, I haven't thought about just doing nothing, that's true. BUT, you could just use your Concentration ability. No move, no attack, AND plenty of bonuses (get less dmg from next attack, restores more FP and MP)

Also, if by randomization you mean block and critical chance and all that, I throw a d20. An actual d20, not the Roll Dice option, because I think that'd just make the whole process more complicated. You'll just have to trust me

HahiHa
HahiHa
8,254 posts
Regent

So I decided to implement the small penalty to accuracy when using a ranged attack after moving. I also added a requirement for the tower shield; you now need at least 10 STR to wield it (which is not much considering the advantages of a tower shield).

edit: made it 15 STR for the tower shield. On the other hand, reduced STR requirement for Taunt ability to 10. I think it makes more sense that way.

Doombreed
Doombreed
7,022 posts
Templar

I think it does well done

HahiHa
HahiHa
8,254 posts
Regent

@MattEmAngel It could, but I consider it more simple to do it myself each time I update a duel. Aside from that, I also feel more like a GM

However, if there would be demand to integrate the Roll Dice feature so that you can roll your own die, it would necessarily mean that 1) the player choosing an action rolls a die in his/her post to determine critical hits, and 2) that the opponent answers with a separate post/roll to determine evade/block. It means having an additional post per turn, which has the advantage of an increased participation by both candidates, but also slows the game down a bit.

@Doombreed @nousername757 Any input on that?

Doombreed
Doombreed
7,022 posts
Templar

I am cool with you doing the calculations and dice rolls off thread I don't mind. It's also easier, because you know how many dice and in what order to roll

Doombreed
Doombreed
7,022 posts
Templar

Hmm, @HahiHa , when I used Mana Lightning, I noticed you drained my FP as well as my MP. Which sounds more fair, but you might need to update the description of that ability in the character creation thread

HahiHa
HahiHa
8,254 posts
Regent

@Doombreed Thanks for pointing that out. I had it right at first, but then somehow an error sneaked into the following post... well, if you think Mana Lightning should be nerfed, we can see about this, though for now I'll keep it as it is.

What I do have an issue with, is melee combat when opposing a ranged character. I don't think nousername757 ever used his sword except when he used Holy Strike. Ditching 'moving around' completely seems a bit radical; maybe I could enable moving twice for every character independent of agility?

Showing 1-15 of 31