ForumsWEPRLincoln vs.FDR

42 7806
crimsonblade55
crimsonblade55
5,420 posts
Shepherd

Since I'm kinda getting sick of all these who's worse threads.I decided to take a different approach with this one.If you don't have a good knowledge of history then you might wanna make sure to do a little research before commenting.Anyways heres the facts from my previous knowledge of the two.Lincoln won the Civil War and freed all the slaves.FDR ended the great Depression, and led us through a majority of WW2, and planned out D-Day Himself, but didn't live to see it happen.Thats all the info I got if you have any extra feel free to share.

• 42 Replies
thelistman
thelistman
1,416 posts
Shepherd

FDR did live to see D-Day. Plus, he didn't plan it. Eisenhower, Patton, and Montgomery (UK) planned it all. He did not end WWII in Europe. America had very little influence in ending the war. FDR was also a wimp against Stalin. He backed down anytime Stalin challenged him. FDR was a fascist. The Japanese internment camps he set up imprisoned hundreds of thousands of people based on their race. Nor did FDR end the Great Depression. WWII ended the Great Depression. In fact, unemployment was at its highest in 1938, right before the war started.

I have not done too much research on Lincoln, but from what I know, he was much better than FDR.

srry
srry
11 posts
Nomad

FDR because i'm related to him

MsterXantos
MsterXantos
438 posts
Nomad

Lincoln was good and FDR was not a facist lincoln was very intellegent and taught himself how to read and write but not all he did was good now a days he would probably have been impeached for attacking the confederate states of america it would not be leagal for him to declare war unless they provoked it. so what no one is perfect people everyone does something they later regret so give it up no one will ever win an arguement because everyone is to stubborn to back down

crimsonblade55
crimsonblade55
5,420 posts
Shepherd

ok then....uh yeah nice to know.

crimsonblade55
crimsonblade55
5,420 posts
Shepherd

although truthfully I wanted this thread to be on what they did right, and not what they did wrong.

necromancer
necromancer
750 posts
Peasant

@crimson- Why shouldn't faults be included? To be really extreme one could cure cancer but kill 2000 people in testing.

I agree with thelistman, it be Lincoln. Although here are some bad things about Lincoln: he temporarily suspended habeas corpus(a brutal blow to civil liberties), he picked his generals poorly, McClellan and several other leaders of the Potomac Army weren't that great, his lucky pick Ulysses Grant won the war, his war caused a massive economic depression in the South, and more Americans died in combat under his presidency than any other.

MsterXantos
MsterXantos
438 posts
Nomad

yeh but it was kinda unfair since the country was fighting itself

crimsonblade55
crimsonblade55
5,420 posts
Shepherd

hmm I guess your right necromancer.It wasn't the intention of thi topic to bad mouth anyone, but its hard to make a arguement without them.I never said who I perfer did I?Well I guess it would be lincoln, because he ended slavery(even though it wasn't the original reason for the war)and he had a cool hat.ok I'm not really into all the facts that much and I'm really hungry right now so its hard to think.

MsterXantos
MsterXantos
438 posts
Nomad

well FDR has many good things also he invented the social secrurity act which helped retired people he has done numerous thigns to help others so obviously necromancer you like to be aginst evryoen else you don't care if your right you just care that you win

WeeMan147
WeeMan147
199 posts
Nomad

Lincoln is my favorite president. Not because he "freed all the slaves" because he didn't free a single slave. He was a charismatic and humorous man who did a lot of other good. You see, the Emancipation Proclamation freed all the slaves in the Union. I hope we can all see the flawed logic in that.

necromancer
necromancer
750 posts
Peasant

@Xantos-
I would say the Social Security Act was a bad idea.

obviously necromancer you like to be aginst evryoen else you don't care if your right you just care that you win

By saying Lincoln was a better president than FDR, I'm going against everyone else? Thelistman agreed with me. Also, those who are right tend to win, but this is a subjective question, there is no right or wrong.
MsterXantos
MsterXantos
438 posts
Nomad

who says you are right though? you feel like everythign is real only if you say it and social security has some flaws yes but nothings perfect if you expect everything to be perfect then you will always be dissapointed

necromancer
necromancer
750 posts
Peasant

this is a subjective question, there is no right or wrong.

I don't see where you are coming from, I don't see things in black and white, and I am not saying that I am infallible, I am stating my opinion.
MsterXantos
MsterXantos
438 posts
Nomad

well your opinion is getting on my nerves you seem to always want a debate i can tell from your speech on topics that either you have nothing to do which forces you here or you hate it when others say you are wrong or have a different opinion and the world is black an white to me i can see answers when they are in front of my face and the answer to this debate question is both are great men who have served their countrys wiht honor and dignity and neither is better in my eyes

thelistman
thelistman
1,416 posts
Shepherd

@MasterXantos

If you don't want to hear opinions, don't come to this forum. We are allowed to say whatever we want here... including that I think FDR was a fascist and a terrible president.

Showing 1-15 of 42