ForumsWEPRAnimal Rights: How far is too far?

38 6193
necromancer
necromancer
750 posts
Peasant

Read this story.
Do animals have the same intrinsic value as humans?
Is it ethical to kill them to find cures for diseases?
Are the activists morally justified?

• 38 Replies
Asherlee
Asherlee
5,001 posts
Shepherd

You are on a slippery slope, my friend.

MsterXantos
MsterXantos
438 posts
Nomad

not slippery more a rocky ridge and first off i beleive there is no such thing as aliens and also i don't care if a deer is smarter then me that's not why i kill it it's because most of those deer starve during the winter and it's a waste of animal

Asherlee
Asherlee
5,001 posts
Shepherd

It doesn't matter if you believe in aliens or not. This is a thought experiment that involves "what if."

Also, we aren't really debating about killing an animal for food at the moment. Because killing for survival is another story.

MsterXantos
MsterXantos
438 posts
Nomad

well still the first half i don't care if my dog has the same I.Q. as Albert Einstein even if i still would not let him eat at my table and sleep in my bed i treat animals the way they are because they are animals and the alien thing would never happen first off no one on earth would be stupid enough to do that and if they were count me out i would be sitting in my house with a shotgun if they tried to get me

Asherlee
Asherlee
5,001 posts
Shepherd

Mster, you are missing the point of this thread completely.

MsterXantos
MsterXantos
438 posts
Nomad

i know i am getting sick of debating this right now because like everyoen else on this website you are impossible and don't accept that maybe your wrong i would but i see no evidence that i am

Asherlee
Asherlee
5,001 posts
Shepherd

Mster, I don't see how you could be right or wrong, you haven't stated anything. The only thing you've typed hasn't been the discussion at hand...

MsterXantos
MsterXantos
438 posts
Nomad

well rights to me are the freedom of speech and everything we have. all other rights are bogus and have no place in this world an animal is an animal nothing more nothing less all you have to do is treat it with respect there you happy?

Asherlee
Asherlee
5,001 posts
Shepherd

Mster, you just don't read do you?

Animal rights and human rights are ALWAYS going to be different. You cannot apply them to each other. What you can do is give equal consideration and apply an appropriate ethical theory.

Next time you go to debate with someone, try using some reasoning and research.

TotalReview
TotalReview
803 posts
Shepherd

Good topic. My view on it is that you can look at it two ways. Prevent animal testing and you won't see this news about animal rights activists. You can also do animal testing but you have to deal with the activists. Personally, I think we should be trying to benefit the human race more. Now, killing endangered animals for clothes is not what I am talking about. I am saying that if it takes some animal testing to help us find a cure to a disease, then we should do it.

MsterXantos
MsterXantos
438 posts
Nomad

@Asherlee
who cares about animal rights then no point in argueing something that doesn't have a point fo relevence to this animls have no rights and they need none end of story they

Asherlee
Asherlee
5,001 posts
Shepherd

Mster, it is almost impossible to argue with you because you make little to no sense. I think I could have a better discussion with someone in French.

I don't speak French.

IPwnU2Day
IPwnU2Day
395 posts
Nomad

Animals and Animals, if they are helping us find cures to human diseases maybe the cure could help cure similar diseases in multiple species. I think animals have no rights, people should do whatever they want with them.

Asherlee
Asherlee
5,001 posts
Shepherd

PwnU2Day, why don't animals have rights? Is it because of intelligence? Please explain further. If you are going to make such an extreme stance you better be able to back it up.

TotalReview
TotalReview
803 posts
Shepherd

Animals and Animals, if they are helping us find cures to human diseases maybe the cure could help cure similar diseases in multiple species. I think animals have no rights, people should do whatever they want with them.

I disagree with them having no rights. I do think that animal testing should be done if it will help find cures. However, killing them for fun or clothing is outrageous.
Showing 16-30 of 38