ForumsWEPRAnimal Rights: How far is too far?

38 6195
necromancer
necromancer
750 posts
Peasant

Read this story.
Do animals have the same intrinsic value as humans?
Is it ethical to kill them to find cures for diseases?
Are the activists morally justified?

• 38 Replies
WeeMan147
WeeMan147
199 posts
Nomad

I believe it depends what you are testing. Some things cause lots of pain and harm to the animal, where as other products don't cause any pain.

IPwnU2Day
IPwnU2Day
395 posts
Nomad

I guess it does have to do with intelligence, if a few animals who have little impact on the world die or are "traumatized" then it's no big deal. I mean those cures gotten from animal testing could really make a difference. They're looking at crocodiles or alligators (whatever) for cures to AIDS because crocodiles or whatever have been around for billions of years so they must have some sort of way to block out diseases. Those cures can save thousands, possibly millions of lives. Killing maybe 100 or so canaries is definatly worth the lives of thousands of humans.

IPwnU2Day
IPwnU2Day
395 posts
Nomad

But we aren't killing them all... we're killing the 10-15 that wander into our houses each year. There are BILLIONS in the whole world. And they get born in hundreds. So 100-15 or so = 75 and then they all had kids so thats 7500 mosquitoes... there will be plenty of food for the little froggies.

WeeMan147
WeeMan147
199 posts
Nomad

Every animal has an impact on the world. Let's take our friend, the mosquito. We kill them all. That means all the frogs and other animals that eat mosquitoes will die out. The animals that eat the frogs will die out. Then, it affects the humans who eat those animals being affected.

In theory, yes. In execution, next to impossible. The food chain is a fickle one, but not that fragile. Not all things that are tested on animals are deadly or harmful. Makeup shouldn't kill a rat or whatever.
TotalReview
TotalReview
803 posts
Shepherd

Every animal has an impact on the world. Let's take our friend, the mosquito. We kill them all. That means all the frogs and other animals that eat mosquitoes will die out. The animals that eat the frogs will die out. Then, it affects the humans who eat those animals being affected.

Strop
Strop
10,816 posts
Bard

Despite its alleged relevance, all arguments that wish to use intelligence as a categorical distinction for animal (creature) rights are on some kind of slippery slope: the slippery slope of variance.

First, rights are granted and there are many levels of distinction between no rights, consideration of some rights, having rights, and acting with impunity as anthropocentrism has humans doing.

Second, there are 'multiple types' of intelligence and these are developed to different extents between and within species.

So from all the above, when I see discussion of intelligence as an indication of how much in terms of 'rights' we ought to be granting, what I see is that we're essentially being influenced by the extent of our emphatic capacity to each animal, or judgements on how closely said animal's capacity for considering the import of pain matches ours.

TotalReview
TotalReview
803 posts
Shepherd

But we aren't killing them all... we're killing the 10-15 that wander into our houses each year. There are BILLIONS in the whole world. And they get born in hundreds. So 100-15 or so = 75 and then they all had kids so thats 7500 mosquitoes... there will be plenty of food for the little froggies.

I was just using mosquitoes as an example. There are other animals that we kill for fur and they are endangered.

In theory, yes. In execution, next to impossible. The food chain is a fickle one, but not that fragile. Not all things that are tested on animals are deadly or harmful. Makeup shouldn't kill a rat or whatever.

I probably should have used a better example. I meant killing animals for fur like the leopard. Animals are becoming endangered and we are killing them for clothing. I don't mind animal testing at all as long as it is for something beneficial to health.
shermzx
shermzx
564 posts
Nomad

msterxanos is just pointless.

he makes weird comments...

@asherlee

i meant monkey have no obligationp for us means that,they dun owe anything to us do they?

like the aliens theory,what if they landed on earth and said they need 100 of us to research on to save millions of their species?

unless the monkeys owe something to us , we may have the right to research on them.

Showing 31-38 of 38