ForumsWEPRA Biased topic on being biased

41 6840
Asherlee
Asherlee
5,001 posts
Shepherd

This is a biased topic that I am making because it is *mainly* directed towards homosexual people.

*If you are not comfortable talking about your sexuality in an appropriate way please do not feel obligated to post here.*

I was wondering if any of you gay folks out there find yourself discriminating against straight people? For example:

This lesbian comedian I was watching admitted that as a cop she wouldn't ticket gay people. She may or may not have been joking. Either way, because we (homosexuals) have such oppression that we are worried about, no one ever talks about how we might discriminate against the straight folks. I find that I will prefer to be around gay people than I will straight. I feel that is normal for my lifestyle. BUT...I would definitely go out of my way to help someone that was gay versus a straight person.

• 41 Replies
WeeMan147
WeeMan147
199 posts
Nomad

Dear daswiftarrow,

Not all straight people think bad of gay people. I personally am perfectly ok with gay people. I don't like to see people by what they believe in, only how they present themselves and what they say. I have been best friends with people that I would normally despise because they are the complete opposite of me. I HATE radical Republicans, but I have known these people since I was four or five years old and have always put my neck on the line for them. When you say that people judge you because you are gay, they are the bad kind of people and they should be ignored.

daswiftarrow
daswiftarrow
873 posts
Nomad

@Weeman i know not all straight people are like that, it just seems like a majority are

thelistman
thelistman
1,416 posts
Shepherd

Sexually, I am bisexual. But emotionally and romantically I am straight. I would never &quotrefer" to help a gay person over a straight person, or vice versa. Someone who needs help will get that help.

One thing about me is that I am NOT offended by anything. I make gay jokes, I make jokes against women, I tell racist jokes, I find humor in anything. Obviously, I do not believe what I joke about, but I have a good time with it. People need to stop being so offended by every touchy subject.

Asherlee
Asherlee
5,001 posts
Shepherd

I am glad to see so many people understanding and there are only a few that really aren't reading the posts.

I think the birds of a feather quote is better. Discrimination is not the right word here. I feel more comfortable around gay people for obvious reason, but another is we are constantly judged by straight people and never really know until there is a weird confrontational moment. Therefore, I will find myself around more gay people that way.

Plus, like said earlier it is networking!

WeeMan147
WeeMan147
199 posts
Nomad

I agree with thelistman, I rarely get offended by anything. Even that rawest of jokes is perfectly fine with me, because it is just that, a joke. I think straight people are sometimes mislead by homosexuality. It's not all that it's cracked up to be. All the stereotypes aren't always true. As people we usually clump together with like-minded people, but I wouldn't go out of my way to be with similar people. But then again, I get along with pretty much anyone.

Asherlee
Asherlee
5,001 posts
Shepherd

I also agree with thelistman. It is better to laugh about such things then anything else. Of course there is a time and place, but as a whole people are uptight.

Ricador
Ricador
3,722 posts
Shepherd

It is wrong to discriminate one side because you are on the other.

Xzeno, why would you say that i discriminate a lot, i don't, that kind of an accusation hurts, bud.

Ricador
Ricador
3,722 posts
Shepherd

AAAAAHHHHHHH. From my last post it sound like i discriminate a little, just not A LOT. Well i don't AT ALL. End of story.

thelistman
thelistman
1,416 posts
Shepherd

I think my main point is that if the people being discriminated against can laugh at themselves and stop taking things so seriously, the anti-gay crowd will eventually stop.

It's a fact that people who are passionate about an issue will argue and try to get people emotional about it. My brothers and sisters do the same thing to me. They try to make me emotional and angry about random things. But when I show little interest, or even laugh about it, they finally stop. It's gotten to the point where they don't even start petty arguments with me because they know I don't take it seriously.

If we laugh at the face of the anti-gay protesters, they have nothing on us. They can do nothing to stop us. They feed off our anger. If we don't show any anger, they can't protest against us.

I think that's my point...

daswiftarrow
daswiftarrow
873 posts
Nomad

@Thelistman, i completely agree with you on that we should laugh it off, its just that where i live alot of the people doing the "jokes" are right-wing southern christians who do think i am evil for being bi and act like im should be killed for being so, where i live the jokes arn't jokes its people actully being serious about it

Ninjacube
Ninjacube
584 posts
Nomad

I am not gay, and those of you who have seen me post in these types topics would know that I'm against it. But, nothing anyone does can stop it and discrimination on either side will not stop for a long time. I would venture to say that the worst is yet to come. Once politics is involved more, it will get brutal. Also, neither one should act like either side. There are just as many people you would consider "evil" on both sides of the topic. Just as many pro-gay protesters as anti-gay.

Asherlee
Asherlee
5,001 posts
Shepherd

This isn't about discrimination, what I am getting at is a feeling of alienation forcing "Birds of a feather flock together" type of scenario.

daswiftarrow
daswiftarrow
873 posts
Nomad

@Asherlee, thats what im saying, along with the "jokes" they do try to make you feel alienated while trying to discriminate you at the same time

DragonMistress
DragonMistress
1,058 posts
Blacksmith

Just as a straight person may feel strange amongst a crew of gays, vice versa may occur. I think it sounds harsh to say you would help a fellow gay over a straight person, but in my head it was like... two people are drowning, who do you save? Over the more realistic, who would you probably loan coffee money to? Haha.

Maybe being bi makes me feel comfortable among most people, though I have found that I feel very comfortable around other bi people. I work with a few girls that are bi, and I feel very comfortable talking about my sexuality with them, moreso than with even a straight man.

I also think that some of this 'bias' is due in part to some resentment. They can discriminate us, why not the other way around? Not to say it is right, or just, but that is how it is. As said before, birds of a feather...

Devoidless
Devoidless
3,675 posts
Jester

Hahah, if I did not know either person in each scenario...forget them both. XD

People just seem to find some silly sense of blind loyalty to people of the same orientation/ethnic background/whatever.

Because, you know, just simply being another human being is not enough to give a reason to get along.

Showing 16-30 of 41