ForumsSupport ForumModerators & Merits - Important Information

141 36326
Carlie
Carlie
6,843 posts
Blacksmith

This is a compilation of an introduction to the moderators, answering questions on how to become a moderator, and what our merit standards are.

TABLE OF CONTENTS

1. The Moderation Team
2. Want to be a Mod? Want Merits?
3. Our Merit Standards
4. Our Moderator Standards

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-

The Moderation Team

Questions can normally be answered through the Help page, so if you have a general site question, please make sure to look there first.

The Moderators on Armor Games make sure that users are following the Rules and Regulations, and help enforce these rules. You may see them around the site, answering users questions and taking care of SPAM. Moderator comments show up in blue in the forums, so it is easier to tell when a moderator is responding on a topic.

Without further ado, here are the Moderators:
http://armorgames.com/image/armatar_85_80.80_c.jpg
Asherlee

http://armorgames.com/image/armatar_52_80.80_c.jpg
Calm

http://armorgames.com/image/armatar_15_80.80_c.jpg
dank

http://armorgames.com/image/armatar_18_80.80_c.jpg
Devoidless

http://armorgames.com/image/armatar_21_80.80_c.jpg
DragonMistress

http://armorgames.com/image/armatar_79_80.80_c.jpg
Moegreche

http://armorgames.com/image/armatar_4_80.80_c.png
Strop

http://armorgames.com/image/armatar_34_80.80_c.jpg
ubertuna

Armor Games also has a Community Manager, who acts with the Moderators to help improve the community.
http://armorgames.com/image/armatar_112_80.80_c.jpg
Carlie

Much thanks to all of the Moderators that help keep the site clean of SPAM and abuse!

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-

Want to be a Moderator? Want Merits?

Then DON'T ASK!

We love that you love Armor Games enough to try to become a moderator or that you want extra points for writing a great review but we will not make you a moderator or give you a merit if you ask.

Why?

Because we choose our moderators by selecting members of the community who are responsible, mature, and contribute in great ways to the site. We watch in our own eyes and suggest to each other who should become the next mod. If you say to us "hey, I want to be a mod!" you are hurting this process because we want to choose based on qualities of users we need... leadership, responsibility, maturity, respect, and dedication to make the site awesome. Saying "I should be mod!" makes us think twice... mod material comes from people who SHOW US they can be a mod, not ASK US.

So don't:
Ask a mod to make you a moderator on the site.
Ask an admin to make you a moderator on the site.
Suggest a user to become a moderator on the site.

As for merits, we don't want you shoving your merits in our faces. We have quite a few people scouring the site looking for awesome comments to merit so if you wrote something good most likely it will be found. If it isn't found, that isn't to say you didn't do something great for the site. People who write lots of good comments end up becoming mods as well, so maybe you won't get the merit but you might get something even better!

So help the site by being good Armor Games users, but let us choose the next mods and merits on our own accord.

Thanks!

(Thanks to John for this section)

Merit Standards

We have been getting a lot of complaints lately about people not getting merits for their comments. This is not necessarily because we have not seen them, but because we have heightened our standards of what constitutes a merit worthy comment. We have put our standards into some guidelines, so that you guys can see what we look for in a merit:

1) Perfect or near perfect grammar. Remember to use capitalization and proper spelling.
2) Structured - try to give some flow and structure to what you are writing. Don't just around from topic to topic.
3) Comprehensive, and with unique insight into the game that we somehow deem to be valuable.
4) Coherent. A lot of reviews that follow the recommended template become an exercise unto itself i.e. they don't really make sense when you actually read them. They sometimes even contradict themselves. These sort of comments don't get merits. Just because it is long, does not mean it will get a merit. It has to make sense too.
5) Contains constructive criticism of the game. Tell us the changes that you would make to the game, and why. What do you approve of? What don't you like?
6) Do not ask for a merit. Chances are, if you have to ask for a merit, you will not get one. It highly reduces your chances of receiving one, and makes us sad every time you ask

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
For further hints and tips, check out the N&N and Greg Merit Guide. But remember to always follow the guidelines listed above.

Moderator Standards

"If you would like to become a moderator, you first need to show that you are responsible on the site; show a good posting record and maturity and you may be granted these exclusive rights! We will usually hand pick moderators, but if you feel you have what it take, contact us on the Contact page... we are really, really picky though!" -Courtesy of the Help page.

Now here are some of this things we look for in moderators:

1) Responsibility. Potential moderators must be responsible, mature, honest, and trustworthy. There is not a specific age requirement, but maturity is a big aspect of moderation. This is why we do tend to choose members who are older.
2) Good posting record. We look for members who have a good posting record. This means they have an adequate amount of forum posts, game reviews, and merits. We look for people who post clearly and intelligently with very few spelling or grammatical errors. We will never choose someone who spams any of their writing for points. We look for people who post comments to help improve the site, instead of just posting for points.
3) Helpful. Potential moderators are members who are very helpful and courteous to other members of the community. They answer questions for other members when possible with a friendly attitude. They are active and constructive with suggestions and support. Moderators have a genuine interest in helping improve the community.
4) Activity. We only ask members who are moderately to very active on the site. This helps us ensure that they will be accessible to members of the community, and be around to help enforce the rules of the site.

If you would like to be a moderator, please do not ask a moderator or administrator directly. Chances are, if you have to ask to be a moderator, you probably should not be one. We normally hand pick moderators, and none of the moderators that we currently have were chosen because they asked for it. We don't really go by the 'Ask and you shall receive policy.'

Last updated by Carlie on July 16, 2008

• 141 Replies
dragoncrusher
dragoncrusher
773 posts
Peasant

Thank you Carlie! But one thing that I would like to ask, how often do you pick moderators? And how many do you pick at once?

Carlie
Carlie
6,843 posts
Blacksmith

It really depends on who we think is ready. We do not have set time intervals in which we choose moderators, or a number that we are trying to reach. If we feel someone is ready, then we ask them. If we don't currently have anyone we are considering, then it may be a while until the next is chosen.

Carlie
Carlie
6,843 posts
Blacksmith

Well sorry to Answer a Question Directed at Carlie but my experience 1(DragonMistress) And i have been here for 2-3 months and only 1 Mod picked.

Not necessarily. We went quite a few months without any new moderators. then Strop and DragonMistress were both brought onto the team withing the same week. Since, we haven't asked anyone. It just all depends on who we think would do a good job.
dragoncrusher
dragoncrusher
773 posts
Peasant

Thank you fst6 and Carlie! I really appreciate it.

seize_the_element
seize_the_element
757 posts
Shepherd

thanks but havn't you already posted a thread like this?

oh well doesn't matter

Devoidless
Devoidless
3,678 posts
Jester

She more or less consolidated many topics into one, to reduce the sheer amount or stickied topics here.

Very nicely done Carlie! *gives her a cookie and a hug*

KHROME
KHROME
618 posts
Nomad

Thanks, this gave me a lot of information that I really wanted to know about.

Dreiyas
Dreiyas
113 posts
Peasant

What are the chances of becoming a mod if you know what I mean like.. If you see someone saying "Please don't spam the mods and ourselves would not like that in our community, Thanks." What would you say bout that?

Kingy
Kingy
251 posts
Nomad

This is great Carlie.

kingryan
kingryan
4,196 posts
Farmer

Thanks Carlie...That helps a little...but I know most of it anyway!

Very Well Put Together!

kingRyan

crazynaitor
crazynaitor
2,612 posts
Jester

Well this is great Carlie but can I ask one question do I have what it takes to be a mod?

Carlie
Carlie
6,843 posts
Blacksmith

Nice guide Carlie, but you could have mentioned the about page for the mods/admins... Also, under there armatar it says "Moderator" which is another way to know who is a mod in the forums posts... And in the bottom of the main community page., those with black/dark blue names are mods.

Good ideas ;-) I will keep that in mind for the next update!

What are the chances of becoming a mod if you know what I mean like.. If you see someone saying "Please don't spam the mods and ourselves would not like that in our community, Thanks." What would you say bout that?

Personally, I don't like it when people go around threating other members with moderators, or saying what we would like, or would not. Unless we go and see it ourselves, and do not like it, I would not include the moderators in a warning.

Well this is great Carlie but can I ask one question do I have what it takes to be a mod?

We have already discussed this...
MasterXatu
MasterXatu
89 posts
Nomad

Combined, that's a great idea. Saves a lot of room from all of those previous ideas all cluttered up.

Chaze100
Chaze100
479 posts
Peasant

awesome guide Carlie it helped me to try and get a merit and the merit standards

Carlie
Carlie
6,843 posts
Blacksmith

Combined, that's a great idea. Saves a lot of room from all of those previous ideas all cluttered up.

That's the idea! ^_^
Showing 1-15 of 141