ForumsWEPRoil in Alaska

50 7382
thepossum
thepossum
3,035 posts
Nomad

should we destroy the nature in alaska for oil?

• 50 Replies
Flipski
Flipski
623 posts
Nomad

Either way all of the oil will get used up sooner or later, even if we do drill in Alaska. I don't think we should though, because I don't think it is worth it for me to make a couple bucks off of destroying a beautiful place that hasn't been destroyed by us yet. I think the sooner we get alternative sources of energy, the better. Even if it takes a few initial years of paying for expensive gas. Its the only incentive out there to get people to invest in other forms of energy, and its starting to get people to do something about it.

tempo013
tempo013
581 posts
Nomad

i know there is a massive amount of oil in Alaska but I don't feel that we should drill for it because it would destroy such a beautiful natural habitat. Alaska is probably the last natural area our country has left and it should not be destroyed. once drilling starts and the oil is found Alaska will develop industrially instantly.

thepyro222
thepyro222
2,151 posts
Peasant

I believe that eventually, we are going to drill for oil in alaska. We are going to run out of supplies elsewhere, and we are going to have no other choice. Hopefully by then, though, we will have discovered an alternative source of fuel that is cheap and efficient enough for mass- usage.

dizzyk
dizzyk
423 posts
Nomad

There has already been drilling in Alaska by private companies. I believe this issue at hand is government sponsered drilling. I'm glad, and hopefull to see several dissenting voices in this case. It gives me hope where I had none before.

Lilboi3000
Lilboi3000
230 posts
Nomad

I think we shouldn't, but until we find another source of consumable energy, or find another place with oil that is not already destroyed by humanity, then this might be the only option.

thepossum
thepossum
3,035 posts
Nomad

there is already a substitute for oil called ethanol that is already in popular use in Brazil

Lilboi3000
Lilboi3000
230 posts
Nomad

But it is an expensive source of energy.

kevin44
kevin44
1,780 posts
Jester

I think that ethanol is even worse for the environment than oil, I've heard some ecology experts talk about it on the news.

TotalReview
TotalReview
803 posts
Shepherd

there is already a substitute for oil called ethanol that is already in popular use in Brazil

We can't depend on ethanol though. Overpopulation will not work with ethanol. Humans take up too much space to grow corn and we also have too many cars. Ethanol is just a cleaner gas so it wouldn't really solve much. I suggest we either go to bio-fuel, electric, or nuclear powered cars.
Cholokid
Cholokid
1,667 posts
Shepherd

[quote]I suggest we either go to bio-fuel, electric, or nuclear powered cars

If we go nuclear that brings up a whole new problem. We will need to find a way to get rid of the nuclear waste. Sure nuclear will be good at first, but in the long run have more pollution than oil.

Supposedly someone has already found a way to run cars on water, but that may not be true. If we were to use the oil in Alaska then we (USA) would be better off economically. We would depend less on other countries for oil, therefore we should use the Alaskin Oil.

Cholokid
Cholokid
1,667 posts
Shepherd

sorry for double post, i forgot to end the quote.

I suggest we either go to bio-fuel, electric, or nuclear powered cars

If we go nuclear that brings up a whole new problem. We will need to find a way to get rid of the nuclear waste. Sure nuclear will be good at first, but in the long run have more pollution than oil.

Supposedly someone has already found a way to run cars on water, but that may not be true. If we were to use the oil in Alaska then we (USA) would be better off economically. We would depend less on other countries for oil, therefore we should use the Alaskin Oil.
kevin44
kevin44
1,780 posts
Jester

A fourth reason would be that it is pretty expensive to dig up all the oil in the first place.

TotalReview
TotalReview
803 posts
Shepherd

The technology to run cars on water has been around for nearly 90 years. I am guessing it would just create water vapor which also contributes to global warming. I am not sure if it needs to be fresh water or salt water. Alaskan oil really is not going to save us as much money as people think. The first reason is that we are still going to mainly depend on foreign oil. The second reason is that Alaska is farther away then most of the country. The third reason is it takes some years to even start digging oil up. Also, how many people will move to Alaska to work in the oil fields? The only way we save a little money is from the tariffs which is not that much.
Lilboi3000
Lilboi3000
230 posts
Nomad

You know, there is a solution for the nuclear waste, though i'm not saying i agree with it. You just eject it into space. and in response to the actual oil problem, when there is a chance for profit, there'll be people coming from around the globe too stake claims in Alaska, and for those people who know about the oil industry... it won't always be nice and legal. So anyway you look at it, if you put one foot in alaska with oil mining equipment, your killing the environment.

TotalReview
TotalReview
803 posts
Shepherd

A fourth reason would be that it is pretty expensive to dig up all the oil in the first place.

Very good point. It would cost a ton to start all over.

Also, we got Alaska from Russia. They may want a cut of the oil so what are we accomplishing. If conflict arises, there possibly could even be a war because of it.
Showing 31-45 of 50