ForumsWEPRCell Phone Age?

44 8001
steevo15
steevo15
1,562 posts
Peasant

Well, it all started when I was walking out of Buffalo Wild Wings with my friends, and I saw these two kids, one was about 7 and one was about 9, they each had their own cell phones, it looked as if they just got them.

I personally thought that it was ridiculous that a 7 and 9 year old had their own cell phones, there would be no use for it.

What are your views on what age you should own a cell phone?

• 44 Replies
Drace
Drace
3,880 posts
Nomad

I think the US is helping out Africa just for influence.

Ehh...sorry unrelated I know, but I think this topic is pretty much done anyway.

azorDead
azorDead
33 posts
Nomad

I get my cell phone when I was 10. I think good age is 10.

Drace
Drace
3,880 posts
Nomad

10 still too little.

kevin44
kevin44
1,780 posts
Jester

12 or 13 was when all my friends started to get them. A good time is when they start to stay after school for sports, so they can call their parents to pick them up. There really isn't an age that is acceptable, but it's more about when they need it.

TotalReview
TotalReview
803 posts
Shepherd

To sum this up, most kids probably shouldn't have them but in some cases like if parents work and drop off their kid at a game, then the kid should have them.

I think the real issue is driving with a cell phone. Actually, kids who text are worse. More accidents are caused by cell phones then drunks. I don't get why it isn't illegal in all states. If drinking and driving is illegal, why isn't texting and driving?

Drace
Drace
3,880 posts
Nomad

Lol you know its ok to text and drive?
Its funny how thats ok but it isnt for talking on the cell phone.

"More accidents are caused by cell phones then drunks."

No...

Talking on the phone is basically talking someone whos sitting next to you.

TheKassinator
TheKassinator
2 posts
Nomad

I don't see what the big deal is about having a phone. If there's no reason to have one, then I don't really see the point. However, there's no real reason not to have one either.

Rather than increasing dependence on the parents i think it encourages independence, as it gives children the opportunity to go out and do stuff without their parents.

I think i was about 12 when i had my first phone, and it certainly didn't do me any harm.

WeeMan147
WeeMan147
199 posts
Nomad

I got my first phone when I was 16. Cell phones don't do anything but encourage dependence. Yeah you can go out and everyone knows where you are, but at the same time mommy and daddy call you nonstop and for every little thing. I thought I would be better off for getting a phone, now I have to hide from my phone so that I don't have to talk to them. Little children don't need them because I think if you give them a phone they wont respect it. I payed for my phone and I have taken the best care of it and never let a thing happen to it. MY friends always trashed their phones from their parents. It's about respecting your possessions.

drakankyle
drakankyle
5 posts
Nomad

I agree, when a child reaches the age that they are going out more with there friends and may have actual need to contact there parents/other people that that is when they should have there own phone but any time before that is pointless, I got my first phone at the age of 12 because that was the age I started going out alot on my own and I never needed a phone of my own before then and now I think that is one of the best times to get my own phone cause that was the time I started going out with my mates.

TheKassinator
TheKassinator
2 posts
Nomad

@WeeMan, it only encourages dependence if your parents are indeed phoning you all the time, in which case it's the parenting that's at fault, not the phone. If your parents are relaxed enough to let you have your freedom and only contact you about important stuff then being allowed to go out on your own will really encourage your independence.

I agree that children often do not respect their phones if their parents buy them for them, but i payed half for my own phone, and i was as careful as i could be with it (which is saying alot, as i can be very careless with my possessions). I think if a child wants a phone they should pay at least some of the cost themselves, in which case they would care alot more what happens to it.

TotalReview
TotalReview
803 posts
Shepherd

How is it okay to text and drive? That is another distraction when you drive. Also, what about the second sentence? I don't really get what you are saying there.

Talking on the phone is basically talking someone whos sitting next to you.

No, when you are talking to someone next to you, both hands are on the wheel. Also, you are listening to them but more likely, you are paying attention to the road. With a cell phone, usually it is only one hand on the wheel and you are more worried about what to say next.

Just so you know, read the page from the following link.

[url=http://www.injuryboard.com/topic/Auto-Accidents-Caused-by-Cell-Phones--PDAs.aspx]

Yeah, 330,000 are injured from cell phones while driving. 2,600 are killed.
Drace
Drace
3,880 posts
Nomad

Its ok as in its not against the law...
Thats what I saw in the newspaper.
Dawt
Dawt
26 posts
Nomad

Its ok as in its not against the law...
Thats what I saw in the newspaper.

Seeing as it's illegal to talk on the phone and drive, I'm just going to guess that text messaging is too.

Which it is
thelistman
thelistman
1,416 posts
Shepherd

Cell phones for young people is just something we have to get used to. Just like videogames, rap music, and new clothing styles. Don't try to stop the change, just accept it.

Showing 31-44 of 44