ForumsWEPRStarting Over

63 8171
TotalReview
TotalReview
803 posts
Shepherd

I figured this thread would cause some good debate. Every single one of us complains about at least one law or restriction. However, we never take into consideration the consequences of each law we would like put in place. So, let's start over. Right now, there are no laws and the members on here are the government. Basically, you just post a couple laws you would like put in place and the other members can debate on whether it is a good idea or not. There are no rules against what laws you want put in place. You can be detailed or not such as saying the exact punishment or just saying it is illegal.

This thread has two main reasons. The first is to cause good debate and discussion. It will get those brain juices flowing. The second reason is to show you that changing/making laws is not exactly as easy as you thought. We all complain about the government so now we are the government. Let's see how we do. By the way, we will be the government of America so everyone is on the same page. I will start us off with a couple laws and if you feel they are good, say I agree and post one or more of your laws. Eventually (won't take very long) we will get to a point where people disagree on a law. Okay, I think if you guys read this, you understand what is going on. If not, feel free to ask. Here are just a few laws to get us going.

- Killing another except in the case of self-defense should be illegal. Depending on the intensity of the murder, either life in prison or the death penalty.

- Raping another person should be illegal. I say 10-20 years in prison.

- Child molestation should be illegal. I would say 20-50 years in prison.

- The legal age where someone should be able to have sex should be 16.

More laws will be posted but I figured these would start us off. Feel free to debate/agree and even post a few or more of the laws that you think should be put in place.

• 63 Replies
tempo013
tempo013
581 posts
Nomad

i want a law making it illegal to partake in any activities while driving. these activities would include things like talking on a cell phone, eating, applying make-up, reading, ect.. i drive 45 minutes to work on the highway everyday and get cut off and screwed over by drivers who do not pay attention to the task at hand which is driving. i've seen countless wrecks in my area caused by these people. unsafe drivers should be fined heavily and repeat offenders would serve jail time. too many accidents are caused by these drivers sometimes resulting in serious injury and even death.

Waterpologuy
Waterpologuy
227 posts
Nomad

I think we need to throw in some environmental protection laws. (It would be good to have them right from the start)

TotalReview
TotalReview
803 posts
Shepherd

Eliminate the greedy and the "gangsters" and its perfect.

What on Earth are you talking about? Everyone is greedy and if you make murder legal, there would be murder non-stop. There is not one person who isn't greedy. We all would love to have money pouring out of our pockets.

i want a law making it illegal to partake in any activities while driving

Good idea but how would we catch them? I do agree that it would lower the number of people who do it but it would be hard to enforce it.

I think we need to throw in some environmental protection laws.

I agree but what laws are you thinking of. I am thinking not so much laws, but where some money goes. I think we should put more money into alternative fuel research.
crazynaitor
crazynaitor
2,611 posts
Jester

To think about it I actually agree with Drace alot.

Waterpologuy
Waterpologuy
227 posts
Nomad

And Drace, your ides barly make any sense at all.... Humans arnt perfect, not just the "gangstas" murder. No laws mean everyone can just do whatever they want to get what they want. Its human nature to want to gain power over others. No laws simply means that everyone is in danger constantly.

tempo013
tempo013
581 posts
Nomad

very simple to enforce the "driving activities law"...when a cop sees this happen pull them over. right now cops do not enforce it because it's not considered illegal. so just enforce it. you never said they had to be easy laws to enforce. just laws.

Waterpologuy
Waterpologuy
227 posts
Nomad

Why is that? Totalreveiw has shown all the flaws in his "no laws" plan.

TotalReview
TotalReview
803 posts
Shepherd

To think about it I actually agree with Drace alot.

Okay, here is a simple situation, if we made driving illegal, how many people would do it? Not many people at all. If murder is illegal, how many people would do it? Not as many as if it were legal. I really don't get how you guys can think laws don't play an effect in how much people do something. I want to see an example from you or Drace that supports your reason for having no laws.

very simple to enforce the "driving activities law"...when a cop sees this happen pull them over. right now cops do not enforce it because it's not considered illegal. so just enforce it. you never said they had to be easy laws to enforce. just laws.

I like your idea for a law but my point is that there are always consequences. If we wanted to enforce it greatly, we would have to put more cops out there which means taxes raise. However, I don't think many people would risk it anyways so it wouldn't have to be enforced as much.
Drace
Drace
3,880 posts
Nomad

"What on Earth are you talking about? Everyone is greedy and if you make murder legal, there would be murder non-stop. There is not one person who isn't greedy. We all would love to have money pouring out of our pockets."

Surely there has been a histroical event when the government has lost control for quite some time. No non stop murders...sheesh think about it, people don't kill for no reason.

You don't need laws, you need education. Educate someone to why not to do it and they will not do so. And in rare cases if they do, punish them. A law is not flexible. They are nothing but punishments when you do something bad so hopefully you won't do it again. They don't prevent things.

Okay, here is a simple situation, if we made driving illegal, how many people would do it? Not many people at all.

Haha no, the government would have been whooped. Protest laws all over.

People don't follow things they don't want to. Specially something as big as not being allowed to drive. People would refuse to follow that law. See thats why laws do not work. They only put laws on what the people think are OK with.

OK the driving age limit. Lets say we take that out.

Surely you think a 15 year old would go drive on the street right? Well this is a bad example, because surely you need to be a certain age, but I wouldn't consider this a law. You can compare this to having to be able to be a certain age to go to a university. Your just not ready to drive yet.

But saying that taking out the murder law, its like saying that if you had no driving age limit law, all the 8 years olds would be driving cars. Lol.

Also, laws do not change people, they may only prevent them from doing something. So if we have 15 years olds that would drive if the law was taken out...then thats a problem with society. The law would only make the 15 year old not drive at this point, but what does it tell you about this person? He'll end up breaking another law in the future.

Education prevents.

Oh and when people kill, they are angry and very very ugh dont know the word for it.

The murder law is the no driving when drunk law. When someones drunk, there not going to even remember that it is against the law.

Its not a law, its a punishment.
Drace
Drace
3,880 posts
Nomad

And as to "Everyone is greedy" and that "We would all just kill eachother"

Ehh...I for one am not, and I would never.

Seriously, who ever thinks of killing someone? Humans do care for the feelings of others. Wouldn't you feel bad if you accidentally killed someone? Don't tell me its because you feel scared that you will go to jail, lol.

Laws do not have utmost responsibility for the thoughts of people.

Lilboi3000
Lilboi3000
230 posts
Nomad

But without laws, human nature (which is incredibly bad) would be allowed to run free, and everywhere you look CHAOS.

TotalReview
TotalReview
803 posts
Shepherd

Also, laws do not change people, they may only prevent them from doing something.

After going on a rant about how laws do nothing, you finally say, "Also, laws do not change people, they may only prevent them from doing something." You basically just contradicted everything you were saying by stating those words.

And as to "Everyone is greedy" and that "We would all just kill eachother"

Before putting words in my mouth, check what I said. I did say we were all greedy but I never said we would all just kill each other. There would be murder non stop because the corrupt humans could do it. You think educating people will stop them? Look how many kids fail school. How are you going to get it through their heads? Laws make it an incentive to not do something.
Ninjacube
Ninjacube
584 posts
Nomad

Laws usually don't prevent people from doing them, they prevent them from doing them twice. Heed these words.=p

TotalReview
TotalReview
803 posts
Shepherd

Laws usually don't prevent people from doing them, they prevent them from doing them twice. Heed these words.=p

Good point but what else is going to stop them?
Ninjacube
Ninjacube
584 posts
Nomad

Nothing can stop them. Just like it's impossible to stop someone who's willing to commit suicide for they're religion or culture. There's no stopping them. All you can do is try. If I had to give one thing other than laws that could stop people from being stupid would have to be education.

Showing 16-30 of 63