ForumsWEPRStarting Over

63 8172
TotalReview
TotalReview
803 posts
Shepherd

I figured this thread would cause some good debate. Every single one of us complains about at least one law or restriction. However, we never take into consideration the consequences of each law we would like put in place. So, let's start over. Right now, there are no laws and the members on here are the government. Basically, you just post a couple laws you would like put in place and the other members can debate on whether it is a good idea or not. There are no rules against what laws you want put in place. You can be detailed or not such as saying the exact punishment or just saying it is illegal.

This thread has two main reasons. The first is to cause good debate and discussion. It will get those brain juices flowing. The second reason is to show you that changing/making laws is not exactly as easy as you thought. We all complain about the government so now we are the government. Let's see how we do. By the way, we will be the government of America so everyone is on the same page. I will start us off with a couple laws and if you feel they are good, say I agree and post one or more of your laws. Eventually (won't take very long) we will get to a point where people disagree on a law. Okay, I think if you guys read this, you understand what is going on. If not, feel free to ask. Here are just a few laws to get us going.

- Killing another except in the case of self-defense should be illegal. Depending on the intensity of the murder, either life in prison or the death penalty.

- Raping another person should be illegal. I say 10-20 years in prison.

- Child molestation should be illegal. I would say 20-50 years in prison.

- The legal age where someone should be able to have sex should be 16.

More laws will be posted but I figured these would start us off. Feel free to debate/agree and even post a few or more of the laws that you think should be put in place.

• 63 Replies
Drace
Drace
3,880 posts
Nomad

Thats my plan pyro.
And I don't even consider 1 and 2 laws.

Actually, you need some more laws, reasonable laws though.
For things like TV commercials, you'd let anything be advertised on there?

Oh one law I must mention, no freedom of press. You can only post the truth!

TotalReview
TotalReview
803 posts
Shepherd

Oh one law I must mention, no freedom of press. You can only post the truth!

What about freedom of speech? I think it would be sort of odd to have it where you can't publish an opinion but you can go out and speak on it. If you just want no freedom of press, you want to get rid of freedom of speech as well.
Drace
Drace
3,880 posts
Nomad

No freedom of speech would be speaking out against something, but you shouldn't be able to say false information. People believe it.

Eshploded
Eshploded
469 posts
Nomad

Would this adopted child be adopted at young? Very young...

Yup, very young. Lets say that the child pops out of the mom and is given to the parents adopting him/her.

What I mean is that you be the person who you are rather through society. Being born aggressive does not mean that your going to be violent. It just means that you will thoughts quite aggressively.

Most humans are born with the switch that could cause us to be violent/aggressive. I'll give you an example about me:

When I was 6 in the first grade, I was different from the other kids. I was mostly by myself, out of choice, and was content. At home my parents didn't hit me, and I watched educational kids shows for the most part. I had a bully though, and I didn't harbor any hate towards him. One day though, he trapped me in the corner of the playground, and I felt trapped and scared. I was in a frenzied focus (tunneling-in is another term) to get out and I panicked. I punched him in the eye and stood there. There, violence.

Some people with a sociopathic behavior in a similar situation might tunnel in, want out, and would severely beat the person just to get him to stop hurting him everyday. Because he is a sociopath, he would not feel the guilt caused by that defensive action.

o.o kinda lost my train of thought.
TotalReview
TotalReview
803 posts
Shepherd

[quote]No freedom of speech would be speaking out against something, but you shouldn't be able to say false information. People believe it.

What is the difference between freedom of speech and freedom of press other then one is written? If you get rid of one, you are getting rid of the other. When you publish something, you are saying your thoughts which is freedom of speech. Freedom of press is just the ability to put that freedom of speech in a paper.

Ninjacube
Ninjacube
584 posts
Nomad

@thelistman

I happen to have relatives in the Netherlands and they're banning marijuana in July of 2009 because of increase in crime.

Drace
Drace
3,880 posts
Nomad

Well Total, I'm just against being able to publish false information.

Its like brainwashing people.

thelistman
thelistman
1,416 posts
Shepherd

@ninjacube

I thought they were just banning marijuana with tobacco in it.

TotalReview
TotalReview
803 posts
Shepherd

Well Total, I'm just against being able to publish false information.

Its like brainwashing people.

I get what you are saying but I am just saying the two are connected. What would be the difference if someone started running around a city shouting false information? I agree that the news should only show true information but then we are still going against freedom of speech.
Drace
Drace
3,880 posts
Nomad

What would be the difference if someone started running around a city shouting false information?

Well publishing is much stronger then speech. I never heard of a false rumor that was passed down by word of mouth. Well I mean from one area to another.
Drace
Drace
3,880 posts
Nomad

Well I suppose it is but unfortunately, you can't ban anything on the internet.

TotalReview
TotalReview
803 posts
Shepherd

Well publishing is much stronger then speech. I never heard of a false rumor that was passed down by word of mouth. Well I mean from one area to another.

Do you consider e-mail as publishing? With e-mail, "false" news would pass through very fast.
TotalReview
TotalReview
803 posts
Shepherd

Well I suppose it is but unfortunately, you can't ban anything on the internet.

Yeah so it would be very tough. Some fake news is actually good for the people while some fake news is bad for the people. It is hard to differentiate between which is which.
crimsonblade55
crimsonblade55
5,420 posts
Shepherd

This is less about what laws we think should be put in to effect and more about whats wrong with the ones we have, at this point.If I were to put any law into effect it would be to make scamming people a felony instead of a misdemeanor(no jail time)mainly because its worse than stealing, because your stealing and lying at the same time, and people get away with it all the time.

justgotpwned
justgotpwned
1,166 posts
Peasant

ok drace how do you not consider raping and killing a law you think with no laws the world would be okay everyone would be killing eachother and it wouldnt be peaceful at all so i dont know what your talking about but if they made no laws earth would fall to pieces

Showing 46-60 of 63