ForumsWEPRShould Pluto be Considered a Planet?

41 8325
bigBLUEbOnG
bigBLUEbOnG
22 posts
Nomad

I personally believe that it should be a planet because it has it's own moon and that it has been orbiting the sun for many years.

• 41 Replies
justgotpwned
justgotpwned
1,166 posts
Peasant

i think it should be it smaller but still has a moon and is a big thing orbiting the sun

Flipski
Flipski
623 posts
Nomad

Its a Big asteroid. A giant lump of ice that happens to orbit in a similar path to the rest of the planets was mislabeled as a planet. But now that we know more about it, it shouldn't be labeled as a planet, but a chunk of ice.

thepossum
thepossum
3,035 posts
Nomad

I think it should be a planet but whether it is or not doesn't affect me at all so why worry about it?

InTheZone
InTheZone
562 posts
Bard

@ choaz:
Calm down. Understand that repeating comments will always happen in a thread, there's no need to throw a hissy fit.

@ Flipski:
Exactly my point. Pluto's a minor planet, and until it can actually fit the characteristics of a "full" planet, it will remain as such. There's no real debate that should be done

napolian654321
napolian654321
922 posts
Nomad

I think Pluto is a planet not a Dwarf Planet.

dragoncrusher
dragoncrusher
773 posts
Peasant

Well, Pluto is very small to be a planet. Its a big asteriod. Their are many other asteriods in the same part of space that are even bigger.

Lilboi3000
Lilboi3000
230 posts
Nomad

Well, Pluto is very small to be a planet. Its a big asteriod.

Did you seriously call pluto an asteroid?!?!!!! Yeah, because of course asteroids have moons...
quakingphear
quakingphear
410 posts
Peasant

But asteroids have different orbits, than planets. Pluto orbits like another planet. We need to get better criteria for planets. In other galaxys where there could be planets big enough to make us look like pluto.

gman1000
gman1000
977 posts
Nomad

The only thing it changes is whether or not it is taught to be a planet.

Also, the new definition of planet states that a &quotlanet" must not cross orbits with another object, AND it must be somewhat spherical.

They will not make Pluto a planet. They cannot make exceptions to the definition.

Waterpologuy
Waterpologuy
227 posts
Nomad

I think its just a rather large astroid.

Ricador
Ricador
3,722 posts
Shepherd

Most definitley not.

It is the size of a large Asteroid. It cleary does not meet the size standards. It is smaller than our moon for heavans sake. And of course you will say "but pluto has a moon, so it's a planet". Yeah, a moon that is aproximatley the size of a house. Also, at this point, how do you know that pluto is not the planet but the/or a moon.

im_tha_man
im_tha_man
394 posts
Nomad

The scientists declared it to no longer be a planet a year or two ago but i still consider pluto a planet because it is there, its orbiting the sun, therefor, making it a planet, have a nice day/night. =)

Graham
Graham
8,052 posts
Nomad

It is a planet, just a little one! That's why it's called "dwarf planet" because it is a dwarf or smaller one along with Eris

Dwarf Planet has the word Planet in it!

Skyla
Skyla
291 posts
Peasant

The name of something means nothing

Not always true.

The name 'Dwarf Planet' better describes Pluto. Take this exaggerated example, I could call Earth a banana-shaped planet (thanks masta,) or an apple-shaped planet. Now, when you think of a banana planet, you would imagine a cresent with little blue and brown patches. When you think of an apple planet, you would imagine a spherical planet with little blue and brown (and white) patches. Which category do you think Earth belongs in?

If someone didn't know what Earth looked like, it would be misleading to call it banana-shaped. Same applies to Pluto, if someone didn't know what it looked like, calling it a planet would make that someone think it's as large as Earth.
mvpguy22
mvpguy22
304 posts
Peasant

The reason Pluto is now labeled a Dwarf Planet is for the following reasons:

1. Pluto is smaller than most of the moons that orbit the other planets.

2. It is close to the same size as its own moon.

But the most imposrtant reason why...

3. Pluto and it's moon revolve around each other.

So unlike the other planets, in which the moon revolves around the planet, Pluto revolves in the same path as its moon.

Showing 16-30 of 41