ForumsProgramming ForumI need help on game maker 7!!!

36 11951
JoyLord
JoyLord
42 posts
Nomad

i need help, i cant seem to get the action and event thing down. can someone help me? i dont get it.....

• 36 Replies
dank
dank
983 posts
Peasant

Alright, so first make a new object with the blue ball at the top. Then you get the new object's window. You have four columns, the first is the general properties like name, parent, visible, solid, etc. The next column is you events. Events listen for things that happen such as mouse clicks, keyboard events, and some other things. To the right of the events is the actions. These are fired when an event is confirmed. To the right of that is the action selection. You drag these over to the actions to make a list of things to happen when the event is fired.

Try clicking the 'Add Event' button in the event column and choose 'Key Press' > 'Right.' Then drag the red arrows from the action selection pane to the actions. Press the right arrow and set a speed of 5 or so and click ok. Then create a new room and place your object in the room. Test the game and your player should move to the right with when the right arrow key is pressed.

You can find some great tutorials on yoyogames and other places on the web

JoyLord
JoyLord
42 posts
Nomad

omg.... thanks dank.... i now just noticed that i was doing something really wrong... but you didnt say it, i clicked all the red arrows and it went every where..... lol.

JoyLord
JoyLord
42 posts
Nomad

ok, i got the moving thing down.... but does anybody know how to make it shoot? and have that shot destroy something?

im_tha_man
im_tha_man
394 posts
Nomad

yes I do. here is your answer, in the events section go to key press and then hit space, and then put an action under that event that action would be, create instance of an object with a motion don't forget to put a sprite with that object and then set a collision with the object you want the bullet to destroy and for that you would go to the enemy's object, most likely object 2 or 3 and then put a collision event and put collision with object 1 or whatever that object name may be and set it to destroy self(enemy) and other(bullet) also for the create instance of an object with a motion put the speed you want the object to go at I would recommend 5-7 if you have any more questions just ask me on my page.

im_tha_man
im_tha_man
394 posts
Nomad

Dang I just downloaded game maker v. 3.9.9 and it is hard! I am trying to figure it out but I think I'm going to have t read an online help book.

NightfangII
NightfangII
47 posts
Nomad

Game maker 3.9.9? Is that a new or older version? (Or is that a completely different program?)

JoyLord
JoyLord
42 posts
Nomad

ill just... i dontt know... but when then forum reaches 10 pages, lets party!

JoyLord
JoyLord
42 posts
Nomad

uhhhhh geese.... when i push whether an object is solid or not its not solid... whats going on? i want it to be solid!

im_tha_man
im_tha_man
394 posts
Nomad

Is a newer version built specifically for mac and the creator of game maker is working on converting 3.7 to mac so mac users can use it.

im_tha_man
im_tha_man
394 posts
Nomad

if you want it to be solid you must go to that object itself for example a wall so just find that object and its on the left side when you double click on it it should say solid and have a check box next to it.

NightfangII
NightfangII
47 posts
Nomad

...well, if what "Tha Man" said doesn't help...
If an object is not solid any collision checks will ignore it. If an object is solid collision check will check it along with everything else. i.e. if you have a ball that bounces on collision with any "Wall" or child of "Wall", and one of the children has Solid off, the one with solid off will never collide, so the ball will not bounce off of that type of wall. Or if you turn off Solid on the ball, the ball will not bounce at all.

Hope that helps.

im_tha_man
im_tha_man
394 posts
Nomad

also another thing you can do to make the object seem solid is have it to when it collides with object "wall" put a direction pad in it and click in the center and set the speed to 0

Danstanta
Danstanta
1,702 posts
Blacksmith

But you're game is going to look as best as others with different system.

JoyLord
JoyLord
42 posts
Nomad

ok, what im trying to say is that i DO check the boxes, but its NOT solid... i try to move though it when i did check it, but its still not solid...

NightfangII
NightfangII
47 posts
Nomad

Okay.
on the ball go
Add Event->Collision->Wall
then drag (it's something along the lines of) Bounce into the actions

That should work.
Checking Solid does not make you bounce off, it just makes it possible to detect if you have collided.

Showing 16-30 of 36