ForumsWEPRReligion-- in a nutshell

18 3928
thepyro222
thepyro222
2,151 posts
Peasant

My theory on religion is that every religion is sentimentally equal. For example, A bhuddist has the same rights to worship their gods as Christians do. Religion gives us hope. Religion gives us something to clear the blackened skies when tragedy strikes. The idea of there being a god also gives us an explanation to many things. Of course, creationism is just one theory out of many. Religion gives us something to hold onto when everything seems evil. It is really a tale of good vs evil. i.e. god vs the devil. I use Christianity because that is the only religion I at least half- understand. No religion is more right than the other. Look at the conflicts in the middle east. Each side has its own religion, and they are equal, because they are all fighting for it. If one religion was better and more true than the others, everyone else would just lay down their weapons and praise their god, but I don't see that happening.

What do you guys think?

• 18 Replies
BostonXBound
BostonXBound
16 posts
Nomad

I am a Unitatian Universalist, so I was raised on pretty much every religion.
I don't think any religion by its self is totally right, but they all have their merits.
But no one should be forced to believe just one thing. I appreciate RE because I am able to make up my own mind as far as religion goes (many other things for that matter)

To Dizzyk- Interesting, I scanned it but it still picked up a few things

SuperzMcShort
SuperzMcShort
325 posts
Nomad

@dizzyk

That was an interesting read. It shows more of the ignorance of (now) basic scientific knowledge then proof of God, but I tend to like seeing how far we've come. Good find!

tanstaafl28
tanstaafl28
336 posts
Farmer

My theory on religion is that every religion is sentimentally equal. For example, A bhuddist has the same rights to worship their gods as Christians do. Religion gives us hope. Religion gives us something to clear the blackened skies when tragedy strikes. The idea of there being a god also gives us an explanation to many things. Of course, creationism is just one theory out of many. Religion gives us something to hold onto when everything seems evil. It is really a tale of good vs evil. i.e. god vs the devil. I use Christianity because that is the only religion I at least half- understand. No religion is more right than the other. Look at the conflicts in the middle east. Each side has its own religion, and they are equal, because they are all fighting for it. If one religion was better and more true than the others, everyone else would just lay down their weapons and praise their god, but I don't see that happening.
What do you guys think?

I suggest you might want to study comparative religions.

First, Buddhists don't worship gods.

Western religion has done an excellent job of marketing itself. Those it could not convert by the sword, it converted by convincing them that they were sick, and that religion had the only cure. The cycle of hope/hopelessness is a valuable "hook" aimed at conversion.

Organized religions in the West are more political movements rather than spiritual ones. Christianity gained popularity because Constantine needed them to help reunite the fragments of the Roman Empire. Before this, Christians were actually persecuted as atheists.

Once the Catholic Church gained absolute power over Christ's "trademark," it became more interested in the accumulation of wealth, control over the masses, and the consolidation of its political influences. They were the first official Christian religion, therefore they are the "model" upon which all other sects and denominations are based.

Some people are so completely indoctrinated by their religious beliefs that they would not be able to function without them. This is not spiritual faith, it is belief based upon ego.
Showing 16-18 of 18