ForumsWEPRFree rice for 3rd world countries

27 5239
greg_greg
greg_greg
440 posts
Peasant

http://www.freerice.ca/ is a site that donates to 3rd world countries..plz consider going on it....its not to hard and its free!

• 27 Replies
Drace
Drace
3,880 posts
Nomad

We have this thread in the Tavern, but glad to see people spreading the word.

crimsonblade55
crimsonblade55
5,420 posts
Shepherd

Hmm interesting,but how does that work out.All you do is point and click,next thing you know you just got someone 300 grains of rice.Where is the money for all this coming from?

Danstanta
Danstanta
1,702 posts
Blacksmith

I love that site, I gave as much as almost 500 grains.

greg_greg
greg_greg
440 posts
Peasant

it seems more appropriate in this not in the tavern, but im happy to see a small amout of ppl responding, i think everone should be in this but its better than nothing... oh and i have no clue where the money is coming but it is a good cause!

drakokirby
drakokirby
1,651 posts
Shepherd

Actually, this would be better in World Events. This goes to all the 3rd world countries. Like Florglee said, sponsors give them the money for all that rice. You click on the word that you think means the word above. They don't make it obvious though. Theirs was the word dumb or something and the answer was mute.

florglee2
florglee2
1,778 posts
Peasant

The money comes from independent sponsors. Thanks for advertising, greg!

Drace
Drace
3,880 posts
Nomad

I love that site, I gave as much as almost 500 grains.

Thats really not much, if you think about it...500 grains is as much as uhh, not even a few meals?
greg_greg
greg_greg
440 posts
Peasant

ok people, this is excellent!! just tell alot of ppl about it and we can help alot of ppl, im at donating 8040 right now, but its all for the greater good of people!

florglee2
florglee2
1,778 posts
Peasant

Drako, dumb is another term for someone who cannot speak. But I do find the problem that the answer is usually a more advanced word than the question.

drakokirby
drakokirby
1,651 posts
Shepherd

Well I just thought it was that one. I'm not all knowing like God or Chuck Norris. Updation on my rice is 10200. Aiming for 13k today. Also, one meal of rice is about 2000 grains.

Drace
Drace
3,880 posts
Nomad

The minimum wage is actually somewhere around $8/hour here.

Ehh but true, its not so much of an impact.

The program might still get somewhere because people are appealed to it because they don't have to give anything out of their pockets.

necromancer
necromancer
750 posts
Peasant

1) I hate all caps titles.

2) There is a Facebook application for it. http://apps.new.facebook.com/donaterice/

3) I donated 12k and got to level 50!

4) @Drace- 500 isn't even a couple of meals you can hold 500 grains in the palm of your hand easily. there are approximately 29,000 grains to a pound (long, white rice), so I'm guessing that these people are very poor, they are used to eating little and would go through about 15,000 grains a day depending on size.

5) Rice costs approximately 24 cents a pound, if you spend an hour playing the game and donate 30,000 grains you donate 1/24th what you could if you worked minimum wage (approximately 6 USD an hour) and donated your entire earnings.

greg_greg
greg_greg
440 posts
Peasant

im sorry for putting the title in caps, i didnt realize it was like that ok....jeez:P....but you would like to sit on your compuiter and do it effortlessly, i mean its great, and it helps ppl,....but yeah 500 really isnt enough...sad to say...

drakokirby
drakokirby
1,651 posts
Shepherd

Greg, every donation helps even if it's 20. 20 is at least 1/10 of a meal.

greg_greg
greg_greg
440 posts
Peasant

yeah i kno, i was makin a point to another guy tho, but i went away and then you and drace posted, so it made no sense!

Showing 1-15 of 27