ForumsWEPRAddictions to life.

30 4914
crimsonblade55
crimsonblade55
5,420 posts
Shepherd

I have been thinking of something lately,and have wondered.People often refer to certain things as addictive.Drugs,caffeine,video games,etc. but one thing I thought about is that in theory.Could you say just about anything could be addictive in life?

"the state of being enslaved to a habit or practice or to something that is psychologically or physically habit-forming, as narcotics, to such an extent that its cessation causes severe trauma."
Link here
That is one definition of an addiction.What I mean to say is that any habit in your life could be addictive.Such as exercising,fighting,watching the T.V.,and even staring at a blank wall for several hours.What do you guys think about this?

• 30 Replies
florglee2
florglee2
1,778 posts
Peasant

I'm addicted to Tenacious D, Linkin Park, Need For Speed games, and Resident Evil games, Sweet Chili Heat Doritos, and Youtube. And yet I'm a totally normal person, theres no problem about addiction.

crimsonblade55
crimsonblade55
5,420 posts
Shepherd

No one said there was anything wrong with addictions,so where did that come from.I was just saying that you could be addicted to anything.

Ninjacube
Ninjacube
584 posts
Nomad

I'm addicted to life and everything that comes with it. I don't know what I would do without it.

dizzyk
dizzyk
423 posts
Nomad

I think the diference between addiction and and something like a habit is the negative affects of addictions. I believe anything can become an addiction but shouldn't be considered such unless the constant (insert habit here) causes negative consequences of some sort. For example weight lifting is only a habit until you neglect your family for it or whatever. Get me?

Flipski
Flipski
623 posts
Nomad

It is possible to be addicted to anything. Every animals body has a built in mechanism that rewards you for doing good things, and punishes you for doing bad things. The bad things are punished through pain, uncomfortable emotions etc. So you don't go cutting off your limbs. For good things, your body rewards you with happiness, which triggers the release of chemicals which make you feel good. These chemicals are addictive and thus you can become addicted to anything that makes you happy. Certain drugs have substances in them that are or mimic these natural chemicals. These drugs are very addictive because they reward you directly for taking them. Other things, such as video games are harder to get addicted to, but if some one has a lot of fun playing them, they can get addicted to this release of chemicals associated with having fun.

drakokirby
drakokirby
1,651 posts
Shepherd

Exactly. If you aren't addicted to someone or something, you must be an alien and then we can take you to questioning, see what you are doing here, and then blow you up if we want to. So what are you addictions Mr. Flipski?

Flipski
Flipski
623 posts
Nomad

hmmm, I don't get addicted to things easily. I can't think of anything that I just get hooked on. I usually get bored of something before I do it enough to get addicted to it. Okay, maybe you could say I am addicted to good food, because it does make me happy and I love to cook and eat. But I think if i was truly addicted, I would weight 4 times as much as I do. But I can stop myself and do exercise alot, so I don't know if you would call it an addiction, Maybe an obsession.

drakokirby
drakokirby
1,651 posts
Shepherd

I'm not talking about how you get addicted to them. I am asking what your are addicted to. Like listening to a band. Watching a certain show? If your not, you aren't a true humanoid.

crimsonblade55
crimsonblade55
5,420 posts
Shepherd

I think it is possible to not be addicted to anything.It is called living a simple life.While it is possible to be addicted to anything,it is also a double standard,to where it is possible to be addicted to nothing.

justgotpwned
justgotpwned
1,166 posts
Peasant

I think smoking and drug addiction is bad but like a smal addiction of doing somethingelse isnt that bad.

Strop
Strop
10,816 posts
Bard

It is suggested that certain people are more predisposed to forming
'addictions' than others, keeping in mind that addictions are defined both by the psychological craving and habit.

shermzx
shermzx
564 posts
Nomad

as everyone has different personalities,i feel that anything in life can be addictive.

you can be addict to anything,if not everything.if i have a weird character,i may be addicted to staring at ants or trees.

crimsonblade55
crimsonblade55
5,420 posts
Shepherd

@shermzx,I had already explained this in the beginning,when I said that it could be possible to be addicted to staring at a blank wall.

Shark7996
Shark7996
373 posts
Nomad

Not all addictions are bad. Some people are addicted to running. We all have good and bad addictions, we just need to have more good ones.

ryan7g
ryan7g
478 posts
Shepherd

The only things I really consider addicting to people in life, is drugs and tobacco. Well, actually, I take that back. Some people have an addiction of biting their nails or licking their lips or anything else. But as far as playing video games go, I can't really consider that an addiction unless you're playing them almost all day, every day.

Showing 16-30 of 30