ForumsWEPRDo Actions Speak Louder than Words?

18 6451
Estel
Estel
1,973 posts
Peasant

Simply, do you think that someone's actions have more influence than words do? This idea sparked into my mind while I was reading, "Ender's Game," which is a very great book, that contains a bit of military and political intelligence.

I'll give both stances with back-up to support each.

Actions

So this means that actions have more influence on someone than words do. Now to support "actions," I'll give some examples.

You are a child, and you have done something wrong. You mom or dad will spank you. Now this influences you to try and not repeat that one action, because of the pain of spanking. You score a goal in a soccer game. The claps and cheering make you feel real good about yourself, so you want to score even more goals. Now some may say that, "He'll score more goals because that's the point of the game!" Well I'd think that you'd want to score more if there were people clapping than if there were people that didn't.

Of course there's always room to expand this point, but I'll save that for later in the debate.

Words

Words, are just a spoken language, that can't physically harm you at all, but can change you mentally.

I really think that if Strop was to tell everyone on this site, that the world will end next week using big words, and relate to the readers, then alot of people would believe him. Since Strop is probably one of the most intelligent people on this site, alot of people will follow him, just based off his past debates. Also, you have to think of Switchfoot. He manipulated sooo many people on this site to thinking he was a 20 year old, when he is actually just 14 or so. When he got banned, a riot went out, just because of his words said on this site.

Now of course, the manipulation that destroyed so many. Adolf Hitler. When Hitler was younger, he started what was called, Hitler's Youth, which was a school, that taught Hitler's opinions on Jews, and military power. Those children grew up and turned into what we call the Nazis. Just because of what Hitler told them as children, they turned into the monsters that destroyed a good portion of the Jewish population.

Now what do you think is more influential?

• 18 Replies
TotalReview
TotalReview
803 posts
Shepherd

If you gave someone a hug instead of an "I luvs joo" the person could be creeped out, or they could think that it's sweet.

This made me laugh so hard. I just thought of a creepy stranger doing that to someone and it made me laugh.

Anyways, if someone punches you, you either fight back, talk back, or run away. If you fight back, does that mean you hate them? Not necessarily since you are just defending yourself.
C_is_for_Cookie
C_is_for_Cookie
713 posts
Nomad

It very much depends.
Words are VERY powerful if you are a good speaker, take Martin Luther King for example.
But actually DOING it is very powerful too, because it shows people that you have the courage and the guts to do something that you think is right.
Either way, they are both powerful, and in some situations, one is better over the other! So, actions are not always stronger that words. They both give you the power to stand up for what (you believe,) is right!
( :

Midnightday
Midnightday
86 posts
Nomad

I don't think actions can speak. Unless the action is speaking.

Showing 16-18 of 18