ForumsSupport ForumBack-Seat Modding, Suggestions, and Going Off-Topic

23 5858
NoNameC68
NoNameC68
5,043 posts
Shepherd

I have noticed a few things about posts and threads being created under this section. I am going to attempt to explain a few problems I am seeing and touch up on how to fix them.

BackSeat-Modding
This has been mentioned before a while back and I feel this should be mentioned again. It is great that members are trying to help the community but be carefull not to backseat-mod.

The following comments are examples of backseat modding:
"This needs to be locked."
"This is spam, lock this please."
"Question answered, lock now please!"
"This thread is full of spam." (when you say this 5 times in a single thread or you repeat this even though another member already said this, it becomes extremely anoying)

Those are only a few examples of backseat-moding. For one, the mods do not need to be told what needs locked and what does not need to be locked. If you think a thread should be locked then contact the mod and ask them if the thread should be locked. The mod will have the final say and lock it if they feel the thread needs to be locked. They are mods because they know what to do, so don't tell them they need to do their job or how to do it.

When you see someone with low AP asking a simple question, do not say things like "this has been asked many times before" or get on their back for not knowing. Simply give them the answer they desire and maybe a link to where you found it and let the thread die (people have gotten much better with lately) = )

Suggestions
This is a fairly tough one to explain. I am not trying to give people the impression that they should stop making suggestions, but there are some things many users should consider before posting their idea.

I have noticed that a few people on this site have been making suggestion after suggestion on ways to improve this site. Please do not spend a bunch of time trying to think of ways to improve the site. Enjoy the site and allow the admins to worry about ideas to improve the site. If you come up with an idea and you think it out some, by all means post it! But don't try to think of ways to improve the site, just let it happen naturally. If you don't think of any good suggestions then let it be.

People are trying too hard to come up with suggestions, most of the times they think of solutions to fix problems that this site does not have or problems this site already has under control.

Off Topic and Topic Change
If a thread has gone off topic, then it is not wrong to mention cassually that the thread is going off topic. Just try not to do this too many times and try not to do this when you see only a few off-topic posts.

Sometimes it is alright to go off-topic for a few posts. If you see a few posts then do not say anything about it. If you notice the thread is off-topic and it looks like it won't ever be back on topic, go ahead and say that the thread is starting to go off-topic (do so politely!) and follow it up with something on-topic.

If you find that the thread goes off topic again then just let it be and flag the off-topic posts. A mod will take care of the situation as soon as they are able.

If a thread changes topic and the topic looks like it should not die, then make a new thread. For example, one thread may be talking about profile updates and somewhere along the line a few people start talking about snakes. If you see this happen and you want to keep talking about snakes then go to the apropriate section and make a thread about snakes.

These are just a few things I beleive people should watch out for when posting and thinking of ideas.

• 23 Replies
firetail_madness
firetail_madness
20,591 posts
Blacksmith

This should be stickied! But it's too messy.

I fall into one of the "un-good" categories.

firetail_madness
firetail_madness
20,591 posts
Blacksmith

Ah! That came out wrong! I meant the stickied topics were messy so we aren't putting anymore on.

shayneii
shayneii
2,492 posts
Peasant

Why should people stop coming up with suggestions, I mean this is the Suggestions Forum!!

firetail_madness
firetail_madness
20,591 posts
Blacksmith

I am now officially confused!

NoNameC68
NoNameC68
5,043 posts
Shepherd

I am not telling people that they should stop comming up with suggestions. They just need to stop trying so hard.

Anyways this was more of a heads up than anything. No intentions of this being stickied.

firetail_madness
firetail_madness
20,591 posts
Blacksmith

That settles things.

NoNameC68
NoNameC68
5,043 posts
Shepherd

Uhh when you said that stuff about the suggestions I think you were talking about topics like this one right?

This is not a suggestion. This is more so a guide (or a heads up) to better people's posting. Thus this would be the "Support" part of the Support and Suggestions. If you want to make a point, it must be posted somewhere!
shayneii
shayneii
2,492 posts
Peasant

Okay, sorry I reread your post I thought you meant it in a different way.

Carlie
Carlie
6,823 posts
Blacksmith

Good thread NoName, and I tend to agree with most of it. It is the backseat modding that is the worst. Everyone saying 'This is spam, loooooock' is spamming just as badly as the topic. What makes me sad, is when people write that on my wall with no please =(

I get many messages just like this:
'Lock please - link'

People do not often give the courtesy to even explain why something should be locked, let alone even say 'lease' about it. Mods and admins are not machines. A little please when you ask us to do something would be very nice.

[/admin rant]

d0m1nated14
d0m1nated14
718 posts
Farmer

Thank you Noname for putting up such a great thread and I think this does deserve to be stickied...

drakokirby
drakokirby
1,651 posts
Shepherd

I get many messages just like this:
'Lock please - link'

That just means they want to help out the site but don't know how to.

People do not often give the courtesy to even explain why something should be locked, let alone even say 'lease' about it. Mods and admins are not machines. A little please when you ask us to do something would be very nice.

Actually, since we don't know if Dev is a Girl or boy, can we consider that robot?

NoName is making good topics everywhere on the spot... It's like he knows...
Carlie
Carlie
6,823 posts
Blacksmith

That just means they want to help out the site but don't know how to.

And I appreciate it that people are helping out with the site. I am just saying that they should practice common courtesies.
drakokirby
drakokirby
1,651 posts
Shepherd

That is so not true! I totally am nice when I am saying to lock it off. I say that this has been made and we appreciate you have thought of this to improve the site but unfortunately, it cannot be done because INSERT MESSAGE HERE.

firetail_madness
firetail_madness
20,591 posts
Blacksmith

NoName is making good topics everywhere on the spot... It's like he knows...

Maybe he does know.
crimsonblade55
crimsonblade55
5,420 posts
Shepherd

[/admin rant]

nothing like a BB code reference.Anyways some of the things in this remind me of some of the things said in this stickied thread.

Rules, Guides, Spam, Common Suggestions *PLEASE READ*
Showing 1-15 of 23