Forums

ForumsArt, Music, and Writing

Periodic Poetry Contest - Theme: Touch of Truth (Page 390, due Jan. 28)

Thread Locked

Posted Aug 31, '08 at 12:47pm

DragonMistress

DragonMistress

1,113 posts

Knight

First, I will post the overall rules, and then I will post the specifics about this week.

Original rules, as stated by Ubertuna:

It must fit the week's theme.
It must be submitted by the deadline.
It cannot have inappropriate language in it.
It cannot be stolen (if you plagiarize, we will find you).

Also:

The poem must be created for this contest
A user cannot win two weeks in a row (though everyone is welcome to submit every week!)
Only one submission per user will be accepted

As we all know, the winner will recieve a merit, and their poem will be featured on the _Poetry_ page.

OK, on to this week's topic...Again, we are having a style instead of a theme. Also, this week we are having TWO WEEKS to do it, instead of the usual one. Why? Because this will be an EPIC poem. Or, rather, a parody of an epic poem. Generally, epic poetry is very long, and tells the serious story of a heroic figure. Well, this week, the epic figure is YOU! Write a long poem (I'll leave the definition of 'long' up to you, but give it a good go) about the heroic story of you! It can be silly, serious, whatever... just have fun with it. You have two weeks, so have a great time!

Posted Aug 31, '08 at 12:49pm

DragonMistress

DragonMistress

1,113 posts

Knight

EDIT: for anyone curious, the original topic is linked here.

Posted Aug 31, '08 at 12:51pm

infernacron

infernacron

945 posts

What do you mean by epic poem dragon?

Posted Aug 31, '08 at 1:03pm

DragonMistress

DragonMistress

1,113 posts

Knight

Exactly what I wrote in the last paragraph, a long poem that tells the heroic story of you! This one is really open, so be really creative. Examples of Epic poems are the Illiad and Beowulf. Basically, a long, narrative poem. Rhyming and meter are up to you, just make it draw the reader in, and interesting!

I'm going through last week's submissions as we speak (type?) and there are so many! The winner will be announced soon.

Posted Aug 31, '08 at 1:05pm

Toadlord

Toadlord

350 posts

Arg. I don't think I can pull one off the round. Epic poems aren't really my style...

Posted Aug 31, '08 at 1:06pm

Toadlord

Toadlord

350 posts

*this round.

Posted Aug 31, '08 at 1:20pm

Gantic

Gantic

7,506 posts

I saw this topic coming. :D After a short haiku of which everyone seems to like to write ten a minute, why not an epic poem to round things off.

I have a quick question though: What are the length constraints on a post?

Posted Aug 31, '08 at 1:23pm

DragonMistress

DragonMistress

1,113 posts

Knight

[bAnd the winners are:

First Place:Necromancer
I love your spin on the haiku, by putting three together as one. Very unique and creative!

Second Place:Shayneii
I chose The Forest Night as the best of your entries, and it won second place, great job!

Third Place: DarthSion
Great submission, I love it!

Another note for the next two weeks: Don't be overwhelmed by the word "Epic". This is really a parody on an epic poem, so "long" can be a paragraph or so... just make it an epic narrative of the greatest hero you know, yourself! ^.^

Posted Aug 31, '08 at 2:02pm

necromancer

necromancer

641 posts

I can't win because I won last week, but here is some help for everyone else.
Note that epics generally:
1) Begin by stating the theme
2) Begin with an invocation to the Muse (asks for divine assistance in writing the epic)
3) Opens in Media Res (in the middle of things; i.e. in the Odyssey, Homer has Odysseus telling a story of what already happened and when finished with the story he returns home)
4) Large setting
5) Hero who embodies virtues
6) Divine intervention with humans
7) Uses epithets, stock phrases often figurative language (Homer often used "Rosy-fingered dawn" or in referring to Odysseus "the old contender" or "son of Laertes")
8) Lengthy

May also include excessively long lists (Homer lists all of the 1000 ships that Helena's face launched) and long speeches

Therefore I shall endeavor to write a Haiku following the requirements of an epic.

Freedom! Gild' Muse! Gild' Muse! Help!
'Cross Un'verse I fight!
Zeus aids! Free! Smiles!

Theme: "Freedom!"
Invocation: "Gild' Muse! Gild' Muse! Help!"
In Media Res: Haikus are normally 5-7-5 syllables, however here the middle 7 syllables came first
Large Setting: "'Cross Un'verse"
Virtuous Hero: Fights for freedom
Divine Intervention: "Zeus aids!"
Epithets: "Gild' Muse!" used twice
Long: "Smiles!", one mile between each "s"

Posted Aug 31, '08 at 5:39pm

mvpguy22

mvpguy22

290 posts

This sounds like fun!

Now I have a question:

Are we allowed to exaggerate for the purpose of a good poem?