ForumsArt, Music, and WritingPeriodic Poetry Contest - Theme: Touch of Truth (Page 390, due Jan. 28)

3868 3230708
DragonMistress
DragonMistress
1,058 posts
Blacksmith

First, I will post the overall rules, and then I will post the specifics about this week.

Original rules, as stated by Ubertuna:

It must fit the week's theme.
It must be submitted by the deadline.
It cannot have inappropriate language in it.
It cannot be stolen (if you plagiarize, we will find you).

Also:

The poem must be created for this contest
A user cannot win two weeks in a row (though everyone is welcome to submit every week!)
Only one submission per user will be accepted

As we all know, the winner will recieve a merit, and their poem will be featured on the _Poetry_ page.

OK, on to this week's topic...Again, we are having a style instead of a theme. Also, this week we are having TWO WEEKS to do it, instead of the usual one. Why? Because this will be an EPIC poem. Or, rather, a parody of an epic poem. Generally, epic poetry is very long, and tells the serious story of a heroic figure. Well, this week, the epic figure is YOU! Write a long poem (I'll leave the definition of 'long' up to you, but give it a good go) about the heroic story of you! It can be silly, serious, whatever... just have fun with it. You have two weeks, so have a great time!
  • 3,868 Replies
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,988 posts
Grand Duke

What? Splutter? I won? Wow, I want to thank myself firstly, the judge, the line of supporters *coughegocough*, my brilliant mind *ego-nut* and......*continues*

But, I'll like to thank Jess for the inspiration.

Gosh. It is a merit prize right?

Maverick4
Maverick4
6,804 posts
Peasant

Ach, well, at least I still ranked...

wistress
wistress
262 posts
Peasant

I have to post my Inter-net victory photo.

LOL ... I like your victory photo goumas!

Gosh. It is a merit prize right?

nichodemus, yes, it IS a merit prize, and I have forwarded your win to the appropriate person. Once again, Congrats!
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,988 posts
Grand Duke

nichodemus, yes, it IS a merit prize, and I have forwarded your win to the appropriate person. Once again, Congrats!

Oops, I IMed Zoph already! Sorry. I got it already. 5Min after I saw I won XD
wistress
wistress
262 posts
Peasant

Oops, I IMed Zoph already! Sorry. I got it already. 5Min after I saw I won XD

LOL ..no problem, I am glad you received your merit already.
goumas13
goumas13
4,752 posts
Grand Duke

LOL ... I like your victory photo goumas!

I hope that some day (when i will win something [that means n-ever]) I will post it even bigger.
Maverick4
Maverick4
6,804 posts
Peasant

I'm trying to stay away from a military theme, but its the only thing I can think of...

thisisnotanalt
thisisnotanalt
9,824 posts
Shepherd

Wistress, you're supposed to provide a brief summary of your thoughts, not just placement. . . .

I'd like to know why I was placed at 4th. I find it interesting, because it's the lowest place I ever got in this contest, but I put more effort into it than any of my other poems for the contest, winning or otherwise. I'm a bit puzzled, to be honest.

zlith
zlith
1,252 posts
Nomad

I'd like to know why I was placed at 4th. I find it interesting, because it's the lowest place I ever got in this contest

I am curios about that too, because you are such a great writer. Though I am more curios about how I placed second...ahead of so many great writers.
TheWarTank33
TheWarTank33
1,081 posts
Nomad

I find it interesting, because it's the lowest place I ever got in this contest, but I put more effort into it than any of my other poems for the contest, winning or otherwise. I'm a bit puzzled, to be honest.

haha! you try too hard Alt.
thisisnotanalt
thisisnotanalt
9,824 posts
Shepherd

I am curios about that too, because you are such a great writer. Though I am more curios about how I placed second...ahead of so many great writers.

All I'm frustrated about is that Wistress left no comments whatsoever as to why I was placed as low as I was. Quite frankly, it angers me a bit. The only time I put effort and actually try to win, I get placed the lowest I've ever been, and the judge gives no reason whatsoever as to why I got 4th.
TheWarTank33
TheWarTank33
1,081 posts
Nomad

and the judge gives no reason whatsoever as to why I got 4th.

OH! I bet i can tell yah!
...because there were three that they thought were better.
dude, don't get so offended! :P
it's a forum contest that'll be forgotten in a week or so.
thisisnotanalt
thisisnotanalt
9,824 posts
Shepherd

it's a forum contest that'll be forgotten in a week or so.

'. . .that's 133 pages and has lasted months. yeah, it's totally gonna be forgotten. It's a sticky. And the winner gets their poem recorded - I'm not objecting my placement, I'm objecting to Wistress not giving any feedback on the poem or reason why I was placed fourth.

-----------

...because there were three that they thought were better.

That's not good enough reasoning >.>
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,988 posts
Grand Duke

I'd like to know why I was placed at 4th. I find it interesting, because it's the lowest place I ever got in this contest, but I put more effort into it than any of my other poems for the contest, winning or otherwise. I'm a bit puzzled, to be honest.

Chill. Wistress judged overtime, and she probably rushed it. Something cropped up abruptly for her, so perhaps she doesn't have the time atm.
wistress
wistress
262 posts
Peasant

Wistress, you're supposed to provide a brief summary of your thoughts, not just placement. . . .

There is no rule that states that I have to give my thoughts on placement. Actually, I really only have to post 1st place. Originally, the judges would place the first 3 places, with no 4th or 5th place and no honorable mentions either. However ... since you asked ...

Personally, I didn't feel as much emotion or passion in this poem as I did the first 3 places, or as I have in your previous poems. Perhaps you felt it while writing the poem, it just didn't come across on the page. Long poems don't necessarily make better poems. I find that sometimes when I am writing and taking longer then usual that I over-think what is on the page and realize the passion is not as prevalent. It was a well written poem, otherwise it wouldn't have placed.
Showing 1291-1305 of 3868