ForumsArt, Music, and WritingArt Skills Contest

6854 4366035
Carlie
Carlie
6,823 posts
Blacksmith

Hello and welcome!

This is a spin-off of the original GFX Art Battle, but with some updated rules and changes. Please make sure to read the rules before entering, since they have been modified. Good luck, we look forward to seeing some creative artistic entries!

Competition Rules
1. Must be hand drawn, either on paper or in a program. It can then be manipulated in an graphics program. But unoriginal artwork cannot be used as the main focus. Copyrighted images cannot be used. All pieces containing copyrighted images will be disqualified.
2. Submissions must follow the current theme that has been chosen by a moderator for that week. If you submit more than one piece, please clarify which one you would like to be judged.
3. If your image is larger than 600 pixels wide, please provide a link to the image instead of posting it in the forum. Otherwise, the image will be cut off.
4. Artists cannot win in subsequent weeks. You can still submit, but if you won the week before, you cannot get first place again the next week.
5. After the deadline, a moderator will pick the winner, and they will be awarded a 25 AP award.

• 6,854 Replies
Zophia
Zophia
9,434 posts
Scribe
Zophia
Zophia
9,434 posts
Scribe

DANG IT!
thoadthetoad: http://i466.photobucket.com/albums/rr28/thoadthetoad/ROBOBUNNY.jpg

kingryan: http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm193/kingryanv/bogansettlement.jpg

Rollie: http://img510.imageshack.us/my.php?image=testyf0.png

Admitted, I messed up on that one... *wants preview post button*
But Strop is gonna post all of the entries anyway, so... And you can access all of them via my posts...

crazynaitor
crazynaitor
2,611 posts
Jester

Okay thanks Zophia!

Strop
Strop
10,816 posts
Bard

Okay, the entries are in, and the competition is closed! I have been struggling with a headache most of today, and Kingryan has stumbled across a little home truth about strop...I will play with your minds :P

...and yes, you can't get DMs two weeks in a row.

So! I've also made a decision that I do not know how you will react to. Irrespective of this week's turnout, I have been turning over the idea that the previous week's winner's entry should not be at all placed (i.e. 1st, 2nd, 3rd), because if they can't win again I have to think of a way that, in the case that I happen to like the entry best, I can somehow like somebody else's entry more.

See the dilemma? It just doesn't feel like I'm upholding the integrity of the competition ("what integrity" I hear you say) if I have to do this. Therefore I will introduce a new section to the judging- the Champion's Exhibit!

From this week on, the previous week's winner will be invited, as part of the spoils of winning, to submit a piece to this prestigeous section (yes, it's coveted because I say so!) It shall be displayed before I display the winner of this week.

So without further ado, here is the piece from the winner of last week: Zophia

http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z121/Mazzelh/Wildlife.jpg

She tells us that it is not quite complete, so I do hope that there will be a time where we see the final version. Even before it was completed I do believe we had already been blown away.

I normally don't put constructive criticism in this section (my commentary here is generally...not very constructive at all...) but sometimes I don't get to post it before the round finishes. Either way, just a little note to Zophia- I do understand you forgot what the sun looks like, so given that it is so low in the sky, do you think the shadows should be longer?

Well, after this, you're back in the competition...until you win again

And now we move onto the winners. But naturally we must have the Strop digest: Once again we witness the trend of "make fun of the guy running the competition", but what else should I expect :P We also witness some more superb entries from the regulars as well as- HERE COMES A NEW CHALLLENGERRRRR!!!

...uhm yeah. You get the idea. There isn't a whole lot to say except that I'm not sure whether to be flattered or worried that I am so easily thought of as "wildlife"! Then again, I'm not sure exactly how strongly the entries as a whole 'articulated' the theme. I was kinda hoping for at least one reference to Where the Wild Things Are but I guess that's just me being too old :P

Without further ado, here is your judgment!

Grand Winner: Cenere

http://i428.photobucket.com/albums/qq1/Cerene_Cerine/agkudakitsune.jpg

I think it would be most fair if I say now that you will more fully understand why I judged the way I did once I have completed discussing all place-getters. But I am talking here about Cenere's entry. I was vastly impressed that with a simple sketching technique that one can lend so much light and shape to an image. Cenere may have said that there was no 'form' added but I'm going to politely disagree here. Furthermore, I felt that this image most strongly and subtly evoked the themes of "wildlife", with the references to the ever-alluring, mysterious moon.

Congratulations, Cenere, you are the winner of this week's merit! I humbly hope that you will accept it, for if you don't, I really don't know how I would respond, and the Champion's Exhibit looks so sad when empty...

Second Place: Rollie

Rollie only supplied a link, so I will do the same

I hope your nose was not put out of joint by the initial suspicions, for we have just come off the back of some scandals which I shan't detail here lest I sully the occasion. After a little deliberation (because it is my job here not to trust anybody), I decided that it would not be necessary to ask anybody here for their originals, which means that obviously since I've placed this entry second, I consider it to be perfectly legitimate

Either way, this is Rollie's first time at fi- I mean Art Competition. Give him a warm welcome, not least because he is obviously very skilled!

Since Rollie only just arrived on the scene, to enter for the first time and gain a place with an entry that was created incidentally is a very impressive feat. I'd very much like to see your continued involvement in the art contest, as I am sure that you would bring much to it. Also, if I understand right this is a background for a flash game, so I very much look forward to its development, production and release.

Third Place: Pedspog

Another link

Seriously, how did you do it? Just three or so weeks ago, you didn't know how to fix transparency settings and now this! The blending creates a very compelling effect which passively captivates the viewer. In other words it would make a great background, like Rollie's entry. My major criticism here would be that the composition is fairly segmented, hence the order of the placing.

Which is what I've been working towards: both the above entries were 'background' type entries, in which "wildlife" was interpreted as an incidental thing, and either there was no foreground elements because they weren't supposed to be there or nothing in particular leapt out and caught my notice. Nonetheless all these images are well done and impressed me vastly.

And here comes the giggles! The Honorable (and Not-So-Honorable) Mentions!

The Make Fun of Strop corner:

Cholokid:

http://i534.photobucket.com/albums/ee348/Cholokid34/wildlifecopy-1.jpg

It occured to me that my black ninja suit is only good for the city...I would have a better time passing off in disguise if I didn't wear anything in the country...oops did I just say that aloud?

Kingryan:

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm193/kingryanv/bogansettlement.jpg

Had the gall to ask me for permission to use one of my images and then turn it against me. I found it very giggle-worthy.

Honorable Mention for being...Disturbing

Thoadthetoad:

http://i466.photobucket.com/albums/rr28/thoadthetoad/ROBOBUNNY.jpg

But since when has toad not been disturbing? I am still to this day scratching my head over the use of the dreaded "robobunny"...

The Character I Want to See in a Series

Crimsonblade55, with the character Sasquatch

http://i530.photobucket.com/albums/dd349/crimsonblade55/Revenge-1.jpg

Previous winners of this type of award include Fst6, but this time, Crimson has already entered Sasquatch, and his sidekick Overgrowth into the Tournament!!! I must prepare now for I may eventually face them in mortal combat...

Also: flaming bell-pepper bomb. Epic.

Honorable Mention for Actual Wildness

Esuna2400

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3194/3006981807_f9bf97d4d5.jpg?v=0

That's right, I do happen to think that this entry very nicely fit the theme, given its features. Leaving the furry aside for a moment, I am reminded of an animal philosophy seminar that I attended, which was attached to an art exhibition. Much of the art itself explored, through anthropomorphism, some kind of relationship between man and animal, and man as animal. But I digress.

Esuna is also a newcomer to Art Contest, so please, a warm welcome!

And true to my word, the eponymous Kingryan Bogan Award for Extreme Minimalism, which goes to Fst6

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb19/fst6/lose.jpg

Furthermore fst6 managed to fulfil the requirements for last week's DM. Your honour is redeemed! Now...next time do you think you could have done that with one line? :P

AND LAST BUT CERTAINLY NOT LEAST, ACCORDING TO THIS OFFENDER:

Dishonorable Mention, naturally, goes to Klaushouse, for blatantly lying about the size of his...little man.

http://img82.imageshack.us/img82/5337/lolagwildlifetl5.png

Klaus, I don't even know what kind of Dishonorable Mention to give you, because all the ideas I've got are the kind that would get me fired.

So. I decided to inform you in a place that is not on the site. Everybody else, I do not recommend you do not follow this link because...well yeah, you'll be scarred for life or something.

And with that, the competition this week draws to a close! Thank you all for participating...but don't go anywhere because we're starting anew right away!

Carly13
Carly13
66 posts
Nomad

I must say Cenere did a great job on his piece of art I probably would have voted him to win aswell.

Strop
Strop
10,816 posts
Bard

Oh good, thanks for agreeing Carly :P

And now for the NEW ROUND!!!!!!

Theme: Food (brought to you by thoadthetoad)
Deadline: Friday 14th November

HAVE AT IT!

Zophia
Zophia
9,434 posts
Scribe

I do understand you forgot what the sun looks like, so given that it is so low in the sky, do you think the shadows should be longer?
Oops. Seriously, I've been nocturnal way too long. :P
But yes~ Thanks for the constructive criticism, I shall keep that in mind for when I continue~

Any chance I'll get an actual comment on the piece once I finish it for good?

Nice work, everyone~ And congratulations to Cenere~

Since Rollie only just arrived on the scene, to enter for the first time and gain a place with an entry that was created incidentally is a very impressive feat.
*smirks*

*looks at link to youtube* Dare I click it... *sniffs to check for rickrollage and similar nasty things*
Zophia
Zophia
9,434 posts
Scribe

ZOMG, FOOD!
I can totally get inspire by this. ... Wait, gore is prohibited... Aww.

Sorry for double post, the ninja ninja'ed me...

Zophia
Zophia
9,434 posts
Scribe

Click the link, fst6. :P

I right clicked it and opened it in a new tap. I never looked at the page! I will not let you say you got me!

Strop
Strop
10,816 posts
Bard

Any chance I'll get an actual comment on the piece once I finish it for good?

Of course

But like you when I get busy I often don't comment unless I have some crit to give...

But since there's been gore in the art and it passes muster, I think the real rule is no excessive gore...and of course it makes it harder for one to win unless there's some wit involved.
Zophia
Zophia
9,434 posts
Scribe

@fst6:
Wow that banana doesn't look like it was worth plucking.

@Strop:
Fully understandable~ I don't crave it, I just really enjoy the comments you give the entries.

And of course~~~

Esuna2400
Esuna2400
625 posts
Nomad

do photographs count?

Strop
Strop
10,816 posts
Bard

Fst, you just gave me an awesome idea.

Esuna2400...hm. I'd have to say...oh darn...uhm...that's a hard one. I'll get back to you.

Carly13
Carly13
66 posts
Nomad

Food cool I cant wait to see some pictures.

Zophia
Zophia
9,434 posts
Scribe

Competition Rules
1. Must be hand drawn, either on paper or in a program. It can then be manipulated in an graphics program. But unoriginal artwork cannot be used as the main focus. Copyrighted images cannot be used. All pieces containing copyrighted images will be disqualified.
So no, photography don't go here. Unless you draw on it as well.
Showing 1081-1095 of 6854