Forums

ForumsArt, Music, and Writing

Strop's sporadic scrapbook

Posted Oct 6, '08 at 4:34am

Strop

Strop

11,085 posts

Wow, a whole week since I posted. I did get sidetracked!

Page 6:

http://i438.photobucket.com/albums/qq105/strawpony/strugglerspilot06small.jpg

Notes: Click on image for fullsize. I will be going with the fullsize from now on.

Frame 2 indicates that I've read waaaaayyyy too much Naruto.

Doing decent lettering is a pain but doing it typed looks like a copout.

I use a lot of manga references but don't want to be too strongly influenced by manga. I need to work towards a more integrated treatment of frame for one. I'm also developing my own way of using the expression and mood markings and since this is colored I think I can work something relatively unique out. Also, I refuse to use english sound effects if they're too corny, but don't want to use Japanese characters either, so I decided to use symbols, haha.

What awaits our protagonist at the top of the stairs!? *gasp*

Posted Oct 6, '08 at 4:37am

thoadthetoad

thoadthetoad

5,814 posts

you know, it's kind of ironic, the DOG is calling his bud DAWG. That's kinda funny. And I suspect that there is some weird rap concert at the top, or several "bitches" get it? GO DICTIONARY.COM!

Posted Oct 6, '08 at 10:09am

Zophia

Zophia

9,535 posts

Last frame confuses me, but otherwise it's well done as usual.
I'll question the shading on the dog's muzzle in that second to last frame, though. Stripy?

Story has caught me, I'll probably continue reading. Don't get too busy with other things. :P

Posted Oct 7, '08 at 1:48am

Strop

Strop

11,085 posts

lol thoad, just... *shoots you in the face* straight up, you're no G :P But yeah, you're getting pretty warm.

Zophia: Being a segue, the last frame does look confusing without the context of the next page: it's actually supposed to! You will (hopefully) understand by the next page, not just what the frame is but why it's there.

As for the shading, my light glare effect was off-alighnment, oops :P It was also supposed to extend a bit further. You do know that I'm going to cut this short halfway and leave you all hanging, while I go right back to the start, right :P And believe me, I've got the framework of the story written...it's a loooong story!

Posted Oct 7, '08 at 2:04am

Zophia

Zophia

9,535 posts

Hehe, of course you'll leave us all hanging the moment it gets really interesting~
But I will at least look forward to the next page and the sense of the last frame so far.

Posted Oct 15, '08 at 12:01am

Strop

Strop

11,085 posts

Ha, it's been like a week since I posted here, because I've been doing...like, other stuff. Yeah. Haha.

Only got a few minutes, so I'll update. I still wasn't entirely happy with the stylings thus far re: Strugglers and so I decided to do a character sheet with a new approach. Something a little more street-art, that emulates pen, texta and acrylics.

This is just part of the page that actually fits in here, so it will look slightly strange but it's an extract so there you go:

http://i438.photobucket.com/albums/qq105/strawpony/crimsonfireextract.jpg

Yes, a little on the racy side. This character belongs to a friend of mine and I was given quite specific instruction on what she'd like, so, yeah, there you go :P

Posted Oct 15, '08 at 12:09am

Zootsuit_riot

Zootsuit_riot

1,547 posts

I like the eyes. They really contrast with the red of the fur. The glowing effect that you seemed to add to them helps with that too.

Posted Oct 15, '08 at 12:13am

thoadthetoad

thoadthetoad

5,814 posts

OMG prosto-pony! My little <bleep>ey! My little <bleep>ey! Anyways, how many name changes are you gonna give your thread?

Posted Oct 15, '08 at 8:55am

Strop

Strop

11,085 posts

My friend (girlfriend if you must know) would be just a little horrified to see you say that thoad xD

She's just dressed...with attitude!

*headdesk repeatedly*

Posted Oct 15, '08 at 9:56am

thoadthetoad

thoadthetoad

5,814 posts

My friend (girlfriend if you must know) would be just a little horrified to see you say that thoad

ROFL ROFL AND ROFL!!!! OMg! I couldn't even stop my lawls for a couple of seconds there!
Ya know strop, that made me so happy that I'm gonna draw that I-pwn now! and a bad-but nergyl to back it up!
P.S. I will still be using my cruddy camera though, so sorry if it's low quality like the last one, I'll try to make it as bold as possible for better pics.

Reply to Strop's sporadic scrapbook

You must be logged in to post a reply!