ForumsArt, Music, and WritingAnimation Contest - Theme: Halloween (page 68)

707 300805
Zophia
Zophia
9,434 posts
Scribe

Alrighty, this has been brewing in the artistic minds of a few AGers lately - an animation contest!

Similar to the Art Skills Competition we need a few rules in place (largely copy/pasted, so credits to Carlie for parts of this):
1. Must be hand drawn, either on paper or in a program. It can then be manipulated in an graphics program (GIMP is a nice free one with a build in animation filter - google it). Copyrighted images cannot be used. All pieces containing copyrighted images will be disqualified.
2. Submissions must follow the current theme. If you submit more than one piece, please clarify which one you would like to be judged.
3. If your animation is larger than 630 pixels wide, please provide a link to the animation instead of posting it in the forum. Otherwise, the animation will be cut off.
4. Artists cannot win in subsequent weeks. You can still submit, but if you won the week before, you cannot get first place again the next week. Unless only one person submits......let's hope that doesn't happen!

Alright, let's see if this kicks off.
First theme will be ~ Jumping.
It's a basic thing to learn in animation, and it can be anything from a pixelated blob performing up/down motions, to - anything jumping.
Like: http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z121/Mazzelh/Emote.gif
I don't know who will do the judging yet (will be me, if no one else (like Strop?) decides they'll do it).
Deadline for first round will be October 20th, since animation is a somewhat time consuming process. Go make those pixels jump!

• 707 Replies
Pazx
Pazx
5,845 posts
Peasant

ok, if I can't get a proper entry in (The score is GIMP=100000 Pazx=0) this will be my entry (I hope I can get one in though)

http://www.miniclip.com/games/sketchstar/images/animation_sources/2008/08/31/687714/final/animation_687714.gif

I really hope that works... anyways, to the eternal battle against GIMP!

99percentcomplete
99percentcomplete
390 posts
Nomad

So what, do you have to use gimp? Or can I make just a normal(as possible) animation using flash?

Cenere
Cenere
13,658 posts
Jester

Gimp is an alternative for those of us who cannot afford to get Flash or other animation programmes. I think you are welcome to do something in flash, as long it is an animation, and it contains jumping.

Strop
Strop
10,816 posts
Bard

lol Paz, was that partly inspired by the infamous Xiao Xiao animations?

Anyway, I promised I'd do something so here's mine- it has...jumping in it xD

Done entirely in GIMP because I realised that free version of PAP has NOTHING over GIMP.

http://i438.photobucket.com/albums/qq105/strawpony/strop.gif

Guess how large the file is. That's right. 37.7Kb. How? I drew it with hard-pixel tool, converted to grayscale instead of indexing and optimised it under combine-layer conditions.

Pazx
Pazx
5,845 posts
Peasant

Yes, it was inspired by Xiao Xiao... it would be faster paced except I did it on sketchstar (not recommended)... I'll try and speed it up... I know, I'll put it into GIMP~!

Great work strop, just awesome!

ArmorElk
ArmorElk
23 posts
Nomad

http://www.miniclip.com/games/sketchstar/images/animation_sources/2008/10/03/775689/final/animation_775689.gif

I have nothing to say...

Pazx
Pazx
5,845 posts
Peasant

this is not a duplicate forum... this is an animation contest... "ooh, aah"

very different by the way...

NOT A DUPLICATE...

Strop
Strop
10,816 posts
Bard

wooooah, juan, easy on the spam-policing. That's my job.

This is a contest, by the way, hence different from the regular animation thread which is casual and not themed.

More entries coming in, woot

Zophia
Zophia
9,434 posts
Scribe

@Pazx:
That's a bit... Weird? XD Nice job on animating it, would be cool if .gifs could have sound effects.

@Strop:
Ninjabounce!! Good job. I... Think I could find some constructive criticism, but I'm kinda tired so it flew out my head before I could type it. >.>

@ArmorElk:
Nice, kinde reminds me of the Portal logo~ I really like his arm movements when he is jumping up. Could be improved if the black sproing thing *vocabulary fail* didn't take such a sudden leap upwards, though. I think.

@juan:
You're the one who spammed here. If you must claim it to be a duplicate, provide the link to the original, and check your facts. As already pointed out (by both the title and other posters) this is a contest.
The fact that there are several posts by one of the most active moderators should also be a good hint...

Strop
Strop
10,816 posts
Bard

Yeah, it's hardly perfect. I think the second half of the double front flip was a bit shonky (I know one of my frames is blatantly off), and other things were also a bit...shonky, and dodgy and dicey but I think I'll just tweak my skills in the following works.

99percentcomplete
99percentcomplete
390 posts
Nomad

@strop
how do you get your animation so realistic, it's awesome. That ninja thing (although no-one could probably do that) is just amazing.

Cenere
Cenere
13,658 posts
Jester

Oh well, chance of winning is now -150%. Why, oh, why does GIMP hate me..

Armor-elk: that animation looks hilarious. I like the way the black circle pops up.

Zophia
Zophia
9,434 posts
Scribe

Again with the negativity, Cenere. Hmm, deadline is approaching, I wonder if more people wants to participate.

Strop
Strop
10,816 posts
Bard

Cenere, you don't have to win *this* time...it'd kinda be a bad thing if somebody won something the first time they tried it, right?

how do you get your animation so realistic, it's awesome. That ninja thing (although no-one could probably do that) is just amazing.

1) lots of flipbook drawing when I should have been listening in class.

2) I do some 'ninja stuff' in real life, so I'm intimately familiar with the motions.
Cenere
Cenere
13,658 posts
Jester

GIMP does hate me. My chances before anyone submitted: -100. Now, -150. I really cannot animate, last time I tried I was called a nOOb, so... Please forget about mine, look at all the good submissions, find the rightful winner and so on.

Showing 16-30 of 707