ForumsArt, Music, and WritingNaNoWriMo 2008

32 6338
Strop
Strop
10,816 posts
Bard

That's right, it's that time of the year, for National Novel Writing Month!

http://i438.photobucket.com/albums/qq105/strawpony/NaNoNovember120x238.png

NaNoWriMo is simple but epic. Your challenge is to write 50000 words of original novel in the month of November. All it has to be is your own work, whether you go over, whether you finish your story doesn't matter. It can be total crap that you write, but this is one activity where you really get out what you put in, so it doesn't matter!

This is for people who have thought "gee I want to write a novel" but never quite got the pluck to do it. Just join up, find your local writers or team up with your writing buddies and let the infectious spirit of peer pressure propel you to literary win!

I myself participated in 2007 (and succeeded), and, against my better judgment, have thrown in the gauntlet for 2008.

WHO'S WITH ME???

• 32 Replies
Gantic
Gantic
11,892 posts
King

Click the banner in the first post and sign up on that website. It's an interesting experience and tests your current writing ability. If you don't want to write, then it'll be a waste of time. If you have something you want to write, then it could be good exercise. It should improve your spontaneity by the end of it.

It's easier to flesh out a story before worrying about the mechanics. Even if not participating in NaNo, worrying about quality takes a lot of time from actually getting the story down. It's a difficult instinct to get over, but editing can always come later.

I'm starting on Monday, so I'll be behind two days, but I hope to go beyond the 50,000 by the 31st and get 300,000 by next year, so I won't mind much. I have a lot of plot saved for three months.

thepyro222
thepyro222
2,151 posts
Peasant

I'm actually working on one, which I haven't touched in a while. thanks for reminding me about it bro! lol

kingryan
kingryan
4,196 posts
Farmer

I started today...and am on 450 words...

This is going to be long...

KingRyan

Strop
Strop
10,816 posts
Bard

At a quota of 1667 words a day, 8WPM translates to approximately 208 minutes of constant writing...which is a fairly long time.

To be honest though last year, I attempted to write with quality a priority over quantity, which means I probably spent at least that much time, not more despite being able to type more than ten times that speed, hahahahaaaa...

...why is the temptation to participate still rampaging in the depths of my tortured soul!?

Strop
Strop
10,816 posts
Bard

...should have read: "if not more"

Xzeno
Xzeno
2,301 posts
Nomad

I know, Strop, I know. I wrote a lot this weekend, though below the quota, and decided I just didn't like it and started again. I won't make it, but I'll try.

Strop
Strop
10,816 posts
Bard

UOOOOOOHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

Okay that's it. I am burning up!!! I cannot sit by and not write anymore!

Well I'll give it a shot anyway, priorities still remaining unchanged.

Xzeno
Xzeno
2,301 posts
Nomad

Good for you. I wish you luck, both with your writing and your Neurology rotation. I know from second-hand experience that those can be rough.

Gantic
Gantic
11,892 posts
King

I'm starting tonight and up some hundred words already. But the amount I write throughout the month is never really steady. I start up fast and end up at a snail's crawl, with 30k by mid-month and only 40k in all. At least there's something to moving at a slower pace. I suppose there's truth to "Slow and steady wins the race."

But it's nigh impossible to even access the site. I hope to at least meet today's quota by the end of tonight.

Zootsuit_riot
Zootsuit_riot
1,523 posts
Nomad

I wanted to sign up...but I already have my College English course, which requires an 800 word paper (Unfortunately, not a novel) to be written every other night, plus a 5000 word paper written every few weeks.

I've always wanted to write a novel, and this is the type of thing that would give me the kick to start.

kingryan
kingryan
4,196 posts
Farmer

I just reached 1000 words...

Its gonna be long...

KingRyan

Gantic
Gantic
11,892 posts
King

A lot changed in two years. Took forever to get on the site and then another forever to figure out how it works. How the heck am I supposed to know if my word count is accurate without counting them all individually (or copying them into a spreadsheet)? It's supposedly 700 words a page 12 point Times New Roman, but I'm pretty sure I'm some amount per page.

My region is doing pretty much the same... even though it's always rainy and cold during November but I might be dragging the count down a little at the moment.

Zootsuit_riot
Zootsuit_riot
1,523 posts
Nomad

Ctrl+a to highlight your work.

Tools----> Word count, to help you Gantic.

Gantic
Gantic
11,892 posts
King

It doesn't look like I'll even make it to the halfway point since I've got several projects to do. Hope everyone else to doing just swimmingly with their little writing project.

kingryan
kingryan
4,196 posts
Farmer

I've failed already...I am only at 6000 words...

*sigh*

KingRyan

Showing 16-30 of 32