ForumsWEPRReligion: Root of all evil?

126 21877
theslide
theslide
6 posts
Nomad

Personally, I think the world would have been better off without it. But some, sadly, need religion. They need "truth" fabricated, instead of thinking for themself. I take the evidence presented to me, and come to a conclusion based on facts. "Faith" is a word to keep the illution of truth at place. I KNOW most disagree, since many are religious. Religion has done some good, but in my opinion, it has done far more evil.

• 126 Replies
Devoidless
Devoidless
3,675 posts
Jester

Eh, business-casual. No one wants to get egg yolk on their Armani. Unless you are crazy..Like those godless Pastafarians.

Asherlee
Asherlee
5,001 posts
Shepherd

Freakin heathens... I mean everyone knows that God ate us with his breakfast and not some cheap pasta around dinner time...

Asherlee
Asherlee
5,001 posts
Shepherd

I would think so!

Moegreche
Moegreche
3,827 posts
Duke

Can we use maple syrup for holy water and sprinkle it on people and then make them wear it all day?

Devoidless
Devoidless
3,675 posts
Jester

"In nomen of ientaculum , vestri injustus acts ero edo."

I know the latin is not perfect, but who cares? No one knows the difference.

Moegreche
Moegreche
3,827 posts
Duke

We need to figure out how to say "Grand Slam, eggs sunny side up" in Latin.

chiliad_nodi
chiliad_nodi
637 posts
Peasant

Your kind of off topic.
Besides, everybody knows god injected us directly into his blood stream.

Asherlee
Asherlee
5,001 posts
Shepherd

I think my mother might be the root of all evil.

steevo15
steevo15
1,562 posts
Peasant

i don't understand how people can doubt religion, take miracles for example...how would you explain those without there being some higher power

Asherlee
Asherlee
5,001 posts
Shepherd

Steevo, what miracles?

steevo15
steevo15
1,562 posts
Peasant

Well here is an example, that happened within the last 5 year or so, a man had some complications with his eyes and had to have double catarax surgery, and eventually he had more problems and became blind, after he became blind, he prayed everyday to a saint by the name of Theodore Guerin
that she would give him the gift of sight, weeks or so later he was able to see, he went to the eye doctor and they told him that there was no way that he would ever be able to get his sight back and that he did not understand how he got it back...so to make a long story short, man prayes to higher power and great things happen

Devoidless
Devoidless
3,675 posts
Jester

If you get some hard proof to back that up, then it would be interesting. Otherwise, it is just like another one of the "Miracle Happens!" e-mails your grandmother would send you.

Moegreche
Moegreche
3,827 posts
Duke

Even with proof, this does not imply divine intervention. You hear these types of stories all the time about people being miraculously cured of their ailments. There are 2 problems with this idea:
1) Miracles can in no way be reproduced. The typical response to this is an ad-hoc hypothesis, something like "Well, god didn't want to answer that prayer for some reason." But this makes this theory unverifiable.
2) It is far more likely that we just don't understand everything that we need to about the functioning of the human body. Doctors make inaccurate predictions ALL THE TIME.

If you want to call a miracle the occurrence of an event that by our current standards is not very probably, then fine. But this in no way implies divine intervention.

steevo15
steevo15
1,562 posts
Peasant

well i actually do have some proof just read about Philip McCord under the miracles section at near the bottom, go to this site http://www.americancatholic.org/Messenger/Nov2006/Feature2.asp
i dont't think i told the story right but i was told it a long time ago and didn't remember it well

Asherlee
Asherlee
5,001 posts
Shepherd

Page could not be found.

Showing 61-75 of 126