ForumsSupport ForumRate timer.

28 4396
Septua
Septua
464 posts
Blacksmith

As requested on the rate limiter topic.

A had this idea:

How about we implement a 5 minute rate timer, this works in the same way as the comment timer.

I think 5 minutes is the least ammount of time a player should spend on a game (pref a game he/she doesnt like) the give that game a honest rating.
This way the system cripples the people who just rate and go to the next game and rate without even playing the games.

At this moment im trying to rate all the games and this timer will would not harm newcomers like me that still want to rate all the games, its only a bit more time consuming for us but i dont mind.

I like to read your toughts about this.

Sep

• 28 Replies
juan999999
juan999999
3,012 posts
Jester

I think this could work but i don't need to say why.

kevin44
kevin44
1,780 posts
Jester

As I said in the other thread, I am really into this idea. It should definitely take you almost 5 minutes to play the game, and then you think of what to rate it. I like it.

theone99
theone99
3,041 posts
Shepherd

this will stop big BIG spammers,and the 5 minute limit is good,but wont be fair if you rate a game without knowing (accident) and you played a game for like 30 minutes then you try and rate it,yet you can't.see where im getting at?

kevin44
kevin44
1,780 posts
Jester

this will stop big BIG spammers,and the 5 minute limit is good,but wont be fair if you rate a game without knowing (accident) and you played a game for like 30 minutes then you try and rate it,yet you can't.see where im getting at?

Well you could just refresh the page and then since it's been 30 minutes, it should let you rate it.
A problem I haven't really thought about is how hard this would be to implement. It's a lot like the comment limit, so I don't think it should be too much of a problem, but I don't know much about this stuff.
Septua
Septua
464 posts
Blacksmith

After those 5 minutes you can rate your next game so in that time you can play a game, read forums or have a big discusion on the forum "wink to juan" its only 5 minutes of waiting wich isnt that bad.

Oh wait i think you think you can only rate a game within 5 minutes right theone99? i mean you can rate a game after 5 minutes you rated the last time.

sep

RaptorExx
RaptorExx
2,202 posts
Farmer

Are you talking about 1-time rating? That's something different, I really wish they would change that though, but you wouldn't get any points if you change it, of course(although I think the current system they have set up is what's making this a little slow to be put into effect).

But yeah, as I said in the other thread, it's good, you shouldn't be taking any less than 5 minutes to play the game(if you must, throw your comment-writing time in with game-playing time).
Although I thought we were talking a 5 minute waiting period AFTER you hit the rating button, not a 5 minute waiting period BEFORE you hit the rating button...that seems like it would be a little hard to make, as it would have to refresh your page...

theone99
theone99
3,041 posts
Shepherd

ok,these comment timers..30 secondss,post,leave the computer alone for 5 minutes,try and post again,but wont let you..see these timers go by when you comment,not actual time..and refresh the page,what if your really still playing it and it doesnt have a save option,andyou want to rate it but you dont want to leave?

juan999999
juan999999
3,012 posts
Jester

This is what i like about it.
This could of course make some cheaters/spammers form cheating in the leader board which would be in favor of honest gamers.This will then-i hope it would-make the cheaters learn the hard way not to cheat and then make then properly get in the leader board.

One thing that they might do to avoid this is to open up various tabs and let the game unplayed for 5 minutes then rate.But the frustration will win over their heads and make them lay the game no matter what!If they don't want to play the game they would just go and play another and wait for 5 minutes and so on.

kevin44
kevin44
1,780 posts
Jester

ok,these comment timers..30 secondss,post,leave the computer alone for 5 minutes,try and post again,but wont let you..see these timers go by when you comment,not actual time..and refresh the page,what if your really still playing it and it doesnt have a save option,andyou want to rate it but you dont want to leave?

You could wait until you are done playing and then rate. Or rate later. But if you are playing a game because you love it I doubt you will get all upset about a rating.
RaptorExx
RaptorExx
2,202 posts
Farmer

This could of course make some cheaters/spammers form cheating in the leader board which would be in favor of honest gamers.This will then-i hope it would-make the cheaters learn the hard way not to cheat and then make then properly get in the leader board.

What leaderboard for raters?

Also you could just wait a little bit if you've already made up your mind, like I said, I rate after I play the game, and after I make my comment, which should if your at least semi-honest, take longer than 5 minutes.
kevin44
kevin44
1,780 posts
Jester

What leaderboard for raters?

I think he means the current leaderboard.
ShintetsuWA
ShintetsuWA
3,176 posts
Nomad

If it were up to me I would just have ratings reduced to 0 AP. My #3 pet peeve on AG is users who rate random numbers just so they could get AP, while the games that the developers worked so hard for get ratings they shouldn't have gotten. And apparently rating alot of games is considered spamming; what if you're an old codger like me and have been here for almost half a year on AG and have a high number of rated games, would you call me a spammer?

As for timing, I'm highly up for it, gamers should PLAY the game first, then rate afterwards anyways! Giving the rating a timing rule like the comments rule might actually help in getting ratings more "fair". Good games have been given an average of 5 or 6. It's crazy how users have no love for the developers' hard efforts they put into making their games.

kevin44
kevin44
1,780 posts
Jester

If it were up to me I would just have ratings reduced to 0 AP. My #3 pet peeve on AG is users who rate random numbers just so they could get AP, while the games that the developers worked so hard for get ratings they shouldn't have gotten. And apparently rating alot of games is considered spamming; what if you're an old codger like me and have been here for almost half a year on AG and have a high number of rated games, would you call me a spammer?

That's why I think the rate timer would be such a great idea. It would really cut down on the number of people who do that and it would also cut down on how much they do that. Meanwhile, we can keep game rating at 2AP because it is still a very important thing.
Owen135731
Owen135731
2,128 posts
Peasant

yes, but then all the spammers would just wait the 30 seconds, and go and COMMENT the games and go on to the next etc...

Septua
Septua
464 posts
Blacksmith

Arent they doing that already owen?

Anyways i see that most of you are in favour for this idea, now lets see what the mods think about it.

Sep

Showing 1-15 of 28