ForumsSupport ForumRate timer.

28 4401
Septua
Septua
464 posts
Blacksmith

As requested on the rate limiter topic.

A had this idea:

How about we implement a 5 minute rate timer, this works in the same way as the comment timer.

I think 5 minutes is the least ammount of time a player should spend on a game (pref a game he/she doesnt like) the give that game a honest rating.
This way the system cripples the people who just rate and go to the next game and rate without even playing the games.

At this moment im trying to rate all the games and this timer will would not harm newcomers like me that still want to rate all the games, its only a bit more time consuming for us but i dont mind.

I like to read your toughts about this.

Sep

• 28 Replies
ShintetsuWA
ShintetsuWA
3,176 posts
Nomad

That's why I think the rate timer would be such a great idea. It would really cut down on the number of people who do that and it would also cut down on how much they do that. Meanwhile, we can keep game rating at 2AP because it is still a very important thing.

The rate timer would be a good idea, given that it has the correct time limit. What would be the perfect time limit where a user could play the game, get a feel for it, come up with some pros/cons, and finish up, then comment? I would say 5 minutes. Call me a nazi all you want, but isn't the purpose of rating a game all from playing the game first and THEN rating it? Also, like the commenting time limit, the time can still carry over to any other game.

Another thing I might have in mind: the game commenting should only be reserved for reviews. There are reasons for this. Spam, Flaming, Spam, Off-Topic Blabbering, and Spam. Seems nowadays, users would not comment at all, save for a maximum of 3 words, and just continue doing so. Saving the comments for reviews would make reviews by users easier to spot, and those playing the games would spot those reviews and vote for it. Those who don't write reviews would just get flagged.

This would leave the forums. If you shift importance to the forums, there will be more users that will get increasingly active to the community, and we will get things accomplished significantly faster than how it is right now. This is how Armor Games congregates; by discussing matters in the community boards, we do everything here, aside from playing the flash games the developers created. Shifting importance to the forums would do Armor Games better.
Septua
Septua
464 posts
Blacksmith

I got to agree with shintetsu here couse i think it should be atleast 5 minutes. Also a rate-timer in combination with only 1 comment per game with an edit comment function would be a great spam reducing system.

Sep

juan999999
juan999999
3,012 posts
Jester

I comment per game is not really a great idea.
f you mean editing a spam comment then hiding the real one then i don't agree.

Septua
Septua
464 posts
Blacksmith

If a spam comment is edited into a decent comment it would not be a spam comment isnt it.
I see what you mean tho if you have flagged a spam comment and the creator sees that its flagged and changes it before the comment gets deleted by an admin it would make the person who flagged the comment look silly.
Also with the edit function i mean that you can only edit your own comment.

All and all the editfunction needs to be tought over to improve it.

with the editfuction i mean that you can post 1 comment and if you want to make additions like bugreports/tips/suggestions you can edit your post (unable to delete what you wrote before but only add) to add more to your comment. i.e. if a spammer writes: Baaaaaaah and later after he sees his comment is flagged then he cannot delete what he previous typed only add more text to his comment.

Hence thats what i just tought of.

Sep

RaptorExx
RaptorExx
2,202 posts
Farmer

All and all the editfunction needs to be tought over to improve it.

I still think(no matter how many times I say this nobody notices, I'm starting to think it's a bad idea!) that it shouldn't be an Edit Button, but an Add-On button.
It wouldn't be an Edit button, it would be like this:
Look at [url]http://brokenlink.com]this[//url]. <=the post
----- <=to divide the Edit from the Post
Oops! here's the link! <=this being that Add-On

But anyways, I still think it should be 5 minutes, it's the perfect length and it shouldn't be hard to wait that long if you're doing what you should be doing.
Septua
Septua
464 posts
Blacksmith

Raptor as i descibed above its kinda more like an add button then edit button thanks for pointing that out to me.

So let me rephrase:

Ag needs 1 rate-timer and only 1 comment per game with and add to your comment function.

Olala i see i made a few typos in my previous reply...

/goes hiding in shame in a corner.

RaptorExx
RaptorExx
2,202 posts
Farmer

^I know, I was just throwing my thing in there =)

1 rate-timer and only 1 comment per game

My Opinion: 5 Minute Time, 3 Comments Per Game(Static Merit)
5 Minute Timer-
It's not too long, not too short, long enough to play and/or write a comment, but it won't leave you with half an hour left after you do so.
3 Comments Per Game-
It's acceptable that everyone makes mistakes. Therefore, instead of just 1 Comment Per Game, it should be 3, since 2 just seems like too little. After your 3rd Comment the box would disappear/close or whatever, and you can't post anymore, ever, unless they 'reset' the 'comment counter' or whatever would be keeping track of our comments.
Static Merit-
I think it's a good idea, but not everyone else might. I think it would be best that whatever limit to the comments they put that's higher than 1, this would be added. What my idea is, is, that the whole point of submitting comments is to help the creator, and possibly get a merit, so, after you submit your comment(this only works if they wait though), you'll get a +1 on your Comment Counter. However, if that or and succeeding comments are merited, no matter how many comments you have left, you cannot post anymore. That way after you get your merit you don't have the opportunity to spam the place =O

Am I just crazy or do I have some small significant, point-making pixel in this pixel-y game of, Game Comment Rating Timers! =P
Fyrefox
Fyrefox
2,126 posts
Blacksmith

I agree with TheOne...this would pose some problems to everyone.

seize_the_element
seize_the_element
757 posts
Shepherd

It's a good idea so people will actually play the games instead of the rating them for points.

juan999999
juan999999
3,012 posts
Jester

I like thi idea but i think spammer would still wait 5 minutes to get in the leader board.
But i think they would get tired of waiting and then play the game then rate it.

Septua
Septua
464 posts
Blacksmith

Bah this is sad to see, no more replies for 1 week, that makes me a sad panda.

To bad this threath died out, i still think it was a good idea.

Sep

crazynaitor
crazynaitor
2,611 posts
Jester

This would really be helpful it would reduce spam big time waiting 5 minutes is a good idea I must say.

Carly13
Carly13
66 posts
Nomad

Yea it would reduce spam big time.

Showing 16-28 of 28