ForumsSupport ForumThe Rating System

24 3745
MyNameIsZain
MyNameIsZain
464 posts
Nomad

The system we have for rating games is not precise enough. Instead of rating overall how was the game. Their should be rating bars that say music, graphics, and playability. That makes the player more interested in the game. Right?

• 24 Replies
kevin44
kevin44
1,780 posts
Jester

A difficulty bar would actually be really cool. Like you said, difficulty does affect some people's ratings, so it would be nice to split the two apart. Great idea.

MyNameIsZain
MyNameIsZain
464 posts
Nomad

yes thats what i'm saying. If we could do this we could have more plays on games.

flappybob999
flappybob999
797 posts
Peasant

This is why most people give merits, not just for AP, but to state their opinion.

In most Merits, people have

~~~Gameplay~~~~
~~~~~Graphics~~~~
~~~~Music~~~~

And so on.

It would ruin the whole concept of getting a merit. Also, that mean you would have to get more AP, which means more spam, and anything that triggers spam is bad.

firetail_madness
firetail_madness
20,591 posts
Blacksmith

In my opinion, it would be okay if the extra rating bars gave no extra AP, and wasn't shown on game category pages to prevent overcrowding. The only downside of that is it wouldn't attract more plays, because you had to go to the game screen to the see the different ratings. So I think this system would be slightly useless.

Gantic
Gantic
11,892 posts
King

It would ruin the whole concept of getting a merit. Also, that mean you would have to get more AP, which means more spam, and anything that triggers spam is bad.

Why would that be more spam? There's more to good comments than just the graphics and music. Something along the lines of "The graphics and music are okay/good/bad/could be better," that is "I would like super excellent music and super excellent graphics." is just reiterating nothing but the obvious, neither unique nor original nor even insightful.

The concept of getting a good comment is not just your opinion of the gameplay and/or graphics and/or music, but your impressions of the gameplay and/or graphics and/or music. It's something that also, but not necessarily, contains "unique insight into the game that [the meritors] somehow deem to be valuable" and "constructive criticism of the game." A rating cannot convey that.

A rating of below 5 could mean that it can be improved, but where? Or maybe people just don't like that game and don't care if it's improved. It's obvious everyone would like blow-your-mind graphics and excellent beats that somehow meld with gameplay in a synergy of awesome.
thewilddingo
thewilddingo
49 posts
Nomad

i dont think it is needed but woyld be cool

Fyrefox
Fyrefox
2,126 posts
Blacksmith

I think the current system is good enough, but something like music, graphics, and other opinions sound just be expressed in words rather than numbers in comments. How does it help the author if you use numbers?...

Danstanta
Danstanta
1,702 posts
Blacksmith

Well, it's good how it is, it mostly stops spam because when you rush while rating games it takes you to the home. So it's not really much of a deal.

RaptorExx
RaptorExx
2,202 posts
Farmer

How does it help the author if you use numbers?...

I agree, I think they should be put in because if you have a hundred-thousand posts like this:
Player 1:-------Player 2:-------Player 3:------Player 4:-------Player 5:
Music 5/10------Music 3/5-------Music----------Music 3.3-------Music 1
Graphics 7/10---Graphics 2/5----Graphics 3/10--Graphics 2.5----Graphics 7
Gameplay 10/10--Gameplay 10/10--Gameplay 2/10--Gameplay 10-----Gameplay Good/Great

What good would that do? I mean not everyone who makes a game actually reads them but you never know, someone might be trying to get what they should improve, and not be able to decide what the majority wants! But with the various rate-bars everyone's vote would be the same and it'd be easier to read without having to shift through a billion-gamillion posts and pinpointing exactly where the little numbers are, hoping they have numbers, and trying to guess who wants what.
And this wouldn't affect merits because Merits would be specific thoughts about the various things from individuals, not overall who liked and who didn't like. There's also not too many of them and are usually written only by people who have suggestions or are really, really happy with the game, so it's not really the same anyway.
Also about AP distribution on these. I think they should be worth no AP, as I've said in my previous posts, because you shouldn't be rating for AP. This would lessen the amount of false-ratings because nobody who rates falsely would want to take the time for nothing! This may increase spam, though, a little, because they could say 'there's no AP so what the heck!', but that would probably be minimal since even as I typed that statement it sounded rather pointless and a big waste of precious game-playing/spamming seconds >_>
It'd be nice to be able to change your rating as well, that way if you happen to play it again and the creator updated it, you can give a new rating to the game so they don't think their game is still horrible in certain areas they've already tried to improve. Either that, or every time the game updates, the rate-bars are wiped(no AP so you can rate again as you please) and you start anew with ratings. The bars shouldn't add to the Games Rated count either, that would just cause confusion and delay.
My input =)
Showing 16-24 of 24