ForumsArt, Music, and WritingParagraph Writing Contest!

74 13726
mentorso123
mentorso123
368 posts
Jester

I know that there's a lot of writers here on AG and I wanted to make an original, but not too time consuming contest to help these people shine.
I will choose a theme and anyone can enter. The format will be
2 Paragraphs- as long as you want
They have to relate to the theme.
They can be like the middle of a story, or the beginning. Think of it as a short story, except shorter. Maybe you could think of it as an excerpt from another story.
I will find a moderator to give out a merit, but I will judge. The most interesting, expressive, or original (or maybe even funny) entry will win!

The first theme is:

[/b]Learning to drive!

• 74 Replies
adrecka_33
adrecka_33
304 posts
Peasant

Alright here goes nothing i hope its not to off subject, i seem to take things and twist it a bit.

10 days...

I sat in bed watching the clock, watching the time tick away. It's weird how time seems to go so slow when you have so little of it left, I thought⦠Its just the opposite for most people, at least that's what the doc. had said. It had been 3 days sense the Doctor said I had 10 days to live. People had come and gone, Friends or family I could not distinguish nor did I want to. All those who came only brought tears and tried to give me a false sense of hope. Both of which I had no need for, during this whole ordeal I never cried, not once. It just didn't seem worth it, if I only had ten days to live I didnât want to spend it feeling sorry for my self. The most resent couple had just left; I think they were my old neighbors.
I sat up and looked around. Here I was sick in bed at an old rundown hospitable. That paid little attention to there patients they knew could no long give them any money. I pulled the covers back and crawled out of bed; I let out a couple coughs then continued on to the dresser. I pulled out some of my old cloths, they seemed so foreign. After being in the hospitable for a month and wearing those ridicules gowns I began to feel almost part of the place. But now back in my own cloths I felt like my own person again. I hobbled over to the door. Before I left I pushed back the curtain that separated me and Jon.
"Jon see you in a few days." I said, Jon looked up from his bed with a frown and said:
"Aw is that you Jonathan, where could you possibly be going?" I smiled, Jon is blind and in the same situation that I am in.
"I see you around Jon." Jon just shook his head and went back to his restless sleep. I pushed open the door and walked around the hospitable until I found the exit.
Ten daysâ¦I thought. How much can I do in ten days?

Cenere
Cenere
13,658 posts
Jester

THIS NEED ATTENTION.... Because it is a nice competetion.

I were lying there, coughing, sweating... Dang fever, so... All too much. I coughed again, calling out silently as I knew noone would be there to help me. Why should I live alone at a time like this. I knew my parents weren't awake anymore, since it was way over 4 a.m. I knew I should be sleeping, but I couldn't. I removed the duvet, only to feel too cold seconds later. I got the duvet over me once again, instantly feeling the fever rising.
At such moments I feel alone. Living in a new time, more than three hours in train away from my family and everyone I know... it is lonely when I am not ill, but having a fever, coughing and dehydrating without anyone to comfort me... I wish I was a child once again.
I coughed violently, gasping for breath.

howlett
howlett
2,278 posts
Nomad

I was lying there, coughing, sweating... Dang fever, so... All too much. I coughed again, calling out silently as I knew noone would be there to help me. Why should I live alone at a time like this. I knew my parents weren't awake anymore, since it was way over 4 a.m. I knew I should be sleeping, but I couldn't. I removed the duvet, only to feel too cold seconds later. I got the duvet over me once again, instantly feeling the fever rising.
At such moments I feel alone. Living in a new time, more than three hours in train away from my family and everyone I know... it is lonely when I am not ill, but having a fever, coughing and dehydrating without anyone to comfort me... I wish I was a child once again.
I coughed violently, gasping for breath.

Sorry I just wanted to change I were to I was but its a really good paragraph Cenere.

@Adercka its a good paragraph but the �I kept making my eyes looking away why are they there if you don't mind me asking?
Cenere
Cenere
13,658 posts
Jester

Since the thing is based on last night (I have a fever at the moment), and since I wrote it here and now... I did not make a spell check, but hey, only one error?

howlett
howlett
2,278 posts
Nomad

@Ajal I didn't really get the last sentence I heard my Mom sneeze you could explain more from that point but still its alright.

howlett
howlett
2,278 posts
Nomad

Since the thing is based on last night (I have a fever at the moment), and since I wrote it here and now... I did not make a spell check, but hey, only one error?

Heh... yea thats quite good when we write a story in our class I at least get 5 errors but sometimes I get no erros when I am fully concentrated.
adrecka_33
adrecka_33
304 posts
Peasant

Howlett, the Symbols are from transfering it from word on to here. I tryed to fix it but i missed some so...I try again:

10 days...
I sat in bed watching the clock, watching the time tick away. It's weird how time seems to go so slow when you have so little of it left, I thought. Its just the opposite for most people, at least that's what the doc. had said. It had been 3 days sense the Doctor said I had 10 days to live. People had come and gone, Friends or family I could not distinguish nor did I want to. All those who came only brought tears and tried to give me a false sense of hope. Both of which I had no need for, during this whole ordeal I never cried, not once. It just didn't seem worth it, if I only had ten days to live I didn't want to spend it feeling sorry for my self. The most resent couple had just left; I think they were my old neighbors.
I sat up and looked around. Here I was sick in bed at an old rundown hospitable. That paid little attention to there patients they knew could no long give them any money. I pulled the covers back and crawled out of bed; I let out a couple coughs then continued on to the dresser. I pulled out some of my old cloths, they seemed so foreign. After being in the hospitable for a month and wearing those ridicules gowns I began to feel almost part of the place. But now back in my own cloths I felt like my own person again. I hobbled over to the door. Before I left I pushed back the curtain that separated me and Jon.
"Jon see you in a few days." I said, Jon looked up from his bed with a frown and said:
"Aw is that you Jonathan, where could you possibly be going?" I smiled, Jon is blind and in the same situation that I am in.
"I see you around Jon." Jon just shook his head and went back to his restless sleep. I pushed open the door and walked around the hospitable until I found the exit.
Ten day's. I thought. How much can I do in ten days?

Hope i didnt miss anything this time.

howlett
howlett
2,278 posts
Nomad

No you didn't and that was a great paragraph really good job adrecka.

adrecka_33
adrecka_33
304 posts
Peasant

Thanks howlett nice to know you liked it.

Aaroniscool
Aaroniscool
254 posts
Nomad

The pressure I feel inside of my head is more than mind-numbing. I feel that with every thump of my heart that the veins in my head will burst. The faintest light coming from the dimmest candle burns like staring at the sun for even a moment. The chill I feel even though I try to remain warm under thick down blanket is far greater than the chill that goes down your spine. It makes my shiver uncontrollably.

My dreams are filled with agony. In my consciousness I am dreary. Not matter what I do, I feel pain far greater than that which I have never experienced in my life. Oh! That Agony! When will the pain subside? When will my forehead lose it's burning sensation while the rest of me suffers hypothermia? Why me? Why now? I have so much I have yet to do! yet, here I am in bed.

I look at the walls in my room in this God-forsaken Hospus. My eyes grow blurry, the light grows dim. Everything disappears. Darkness floods my vision, but suddenly, my pain is gone...

Zophia
Zophia
9,434 posts
Scribe

2 Paragraphs- as long as you want

'I feel so empowered... Like the others. Like the creatures I now walk with. Before, I was nothing but a simple human, just another one of the cattle... But now. Now I have power, strengths. I am awakened.'
He coughed, bending slightly from the force with which little pieces of his lungs loosened and left through his windpipe. Then he straightened up, again assuring himself in his newly found strengths.
He was indeed stronger now than he had ever been before. He could jump from the streets to the rooftops with little effort, run faster than any of the cattle, the humans... He grinned at the thought. Those pathetic beings he was once one of. Then he started coughing again, more blood and little chunks of tissue falling out his gaping mouth. After a few minutes he straightened himself again, wiping some of the blood from his chin. He looked at the substance on his hand.
"I will need to feed now..."

As fast as the wind and as unnoticed as a shadow, he hurried along the silent streets of the night. He would need to break into one of the stables...houses! 'Houses, that's what the cattle calls them... Yes...'
He punched through the hard wood blocking the entrance to one of the houses. It broke easily under the force of his blow, and he failed to notice the destruction it caused on his hand. A few bones shattered, the skin torn apart... His other hand was already like that. It was not like he needed his fingers much anyway.
Well inside, he looked around. Soon he located the bedroom, and quickly slid up there, concealed by the darkness. Then he murdered the cow he found there, and fed upon the blood spilling out onto the covers... It was a silent, messy kill... No one would know he had been there...
Steps behind him. Gurgling a bloody chunk of meat down his throat, he turned around. A young girl stood in front of him, staring at the remnants of her mother.
"What are... What..." Her voice trembled. She was unable to cope with what she saw, was in shock. He smiled, the sick smile of the race he now belonged to. Then he moved towards her, swiftly, like the shadow of a slicing blade.
"You, my little calf, shall be granted a better destiny..." he whispered as she backed away from him, the horrible look of his figure rendering her unable to scream. He grasped her wrists, the splintered and bloody remnants of his fingers digging into them.
"You shall soon be as I, little calf;" She started screaming...
"One of the true rulers of this world. Your people... You call it a disease, an illness. I shall show you it isn't."
He pulled her closer to his decaying body, smells of her fear and young life force filling his broken nose. She could be his bride... He laughed at the obscenity, as she broke into tears and tried to pull away from him. Her struggles were futile, and no one would dare to come out in the darkness to help her.
'Maybe not a bride, merely a servant... Yes, young ones must serve the older and stronger of our race...'
No one would come looking for her. The mess in the bed behind him would let the cattle know what force was behind this. They would not search.
"Come, little calf..." He picked her up, and her screams seemed suddenly stifled. He smiled as he knew it was empowering her blood as it had his...
Zophia
Zophia
9,434 posts
Scribe

Oh right...
I should come up with a title... Meh... It's been a freakishly long time since I've actually finished writing something, and this kind of threatened to go on and on... I made the world it takes place in up on the spot, but I kind of like it... There's a disease, like a mixture of vampirism and zombiehood that haunts the humans... Or the cattle as the infected ones call them...
Let that be the title.
Infection

Also, I feel I should comment on some of the other entries... But I'm a bit tired, so I'll just say that my favorite so far has been adrecka's.

Cenere
Cenere
13,658 posts
Jester

Since I lack the ability to make a better comment: It is really good.

Zophia
Zophia
9,434 posts
Scribe

Since I lack the ability to make a better comment: It is really good.
Thank you.
Wow, I just realized how close I was to the deadline. It's tomorrow... Well yay, that means judging soon?
slliM
slliM
1,463 posts
Nomad

I don't know what to do for this thing...

I might do something about zombies if that counts as sickness.

If not, I have a back up plan.

Showing 46-60 of 74