ForumsWEPRRight to search Lockers?

273 60232
thepyro222
thepyro222
2,151 posts
Peasant

Here's one that will get the AG forum going...

As a precautionary system, many schools across the nation have been searching lockers to eliminate the school of weapons and drugs that the students had. The schools had probable cause, meaning that they did have some piece of evidence that says that particular person had illegal objects. This caused an outrage with students and parents alike, saying that this was an invasion of the student's privacy. This case was taken to the supreme court, who ruled that the schools did have the right to search.

Now, what does AG think?

• 273 Replies
FutureUSMC
FutureUSMC
270 posts
Nomad

I'm for this personally. This really doesn't apply to me they can check my locker I don't care. We had a situation at one of my schools were the kid had a gun. They just randomly happened to do locker check that day. Caught the kid, confascated the gun. All was well =)

donosld
donosld
70 posts
Nomad

Although this sort of crap doesn't really effect me anymore, I'll throw my two cents in anyways. Most people effected by these school policy's are minors... which basically means they have about half the rights of you or me. Plus they sacrifice even more of these rights when they step onto school property. My high school had random drug searches and quite frankly the situations nonconformist is making up, just don't happen in real life. I'm sorry if somebody &quotlanted" the drugs in your locker, what do you expect the school to do? Let you off the hook just because you claim that it was planted? They have no reason to believe you, plead no contest, your a minor, it will get wiped off your record, and if anything the 60 or so hours of community service that you get assigned will just build some character.

MarkedTarget6
MarkedTarget6
1,699 posts
Peasant

my school dont search lockers which is good cause most kids have gum in their ...the school dont allow gum... i dont chew it in class mainly cause im not addicted to it like other kids are but searching lockers is only a good idea cause it stops kids from bringing guns or drugs to school... u never know...

Heros4Eva
Heros4Eva
28 posts
Nomad

Lockers aren't owned by the student, therefore schools have EVERY right to check or search any lockers without question or permission. I think this problem is solved!

Carlie
Carlie
6,843 posts
Blacksmith

Lockers aren't owned by the student, therefore schools have EVERY right to check or search any lockers without question or permission.

I agree and disagree. It is school property, and I think that of they have probable cause, the school should be able to search them. If it is a question of keeping students safe, there should be no doubt what the right decision is. If a kid has a gun in his locker, I want the school to have the authority to search that locker and prevent something potentially horrible happening.

If someone doesn't agree with it and doesn't want their locker searched, then don't use one! I never had a locker in middle or high school. They just made us carry around our heavy books, whether it was breaking our backs or not. But if you don't agree with it, then don't use one.
Heros4Eva
Heros4Eva
28 posts
Nomad

SO pretty much agreeing there carls...sorry Carly. But yea again nice fight!

Zootsuit_riot
Zootsuit_riot
1,523 posts
Nomad

If someone doesn't agree with it and doesn't want their locker searched, then don't use one!

I had one my sophomore year for the sake of having one. Now I just keep stuff in my car and walk out to it in between classes or during lunch if I need anything.
nonconformist
nonconformist
1,101 posts
Nomad

its funny don... I guess you supposdly had friends in the drug business too right? I suppose you know what its like when the cops are on the trail of someone you know? hmm i'm in grade 12 guy. If i was to get caught with drugs they would put me in jail. As well most of the people in my school that are in my grade are 18. They would get put into custody and put into jail.
And im guessing you guys don't realize how easy it is for people to break into your lockers. They watch for ppl who are lazy and unprotective of keeping there lock combo hidden. So they wait watch their combo then write it down. Now they have a locker to hide their stuff in, in case cops are after them. Im sry man but most of its true, just ppl dont wish it was. Maybe your schools were "clean" back in the day, but now its drug infested. And like i said the story about the kid suing is true. He was 18 and was gonna be put into jail, but again he told them it was invasion of privacy and he got off scot free.
I beleive there should be checks, if there is reasonable evidence. Not just checks all the time. I mean I've noticed mine constantly getting checked and its getting kinda old. Id never do drugs, and never will (hopefully). So if you have reasonable cause do it. If you don't dont do it. Cuz it is getting to the point of invasion of privacy..

Stormchaser
Stormchaser
278 posts
Nomad

Yes, schools have all the right to search lockers. Your on their property. Lockers are really meant only to keep books, school supplies and your coat in it nothing else.

LikeAStoneOr
LikeAStoneOr
6 posts
Nomad

As a precautionary system, many schools across the nation have been searching lockers to eliminate the school of weapons and drugs that the students had. The schools had probable cause, meaning that they did have some piece of evidence that says that particular person had illegal objects. This caused an outrage with students and parents alike, saying that this was an invasion of the student's privacy. This case was taken to the supreme court, who ruled that the schools did have the right to search.

While they can search lockers, they cant search backpacks IN the locker, so you could hide your weed in there, or be smart and not bring it to school.
FutureUSMC
FutureUSMC
270 posts
Nomad

While they can search lockers, they cant search backpacks IN the locker, so you could hide your weed in there, or be smart and not bring it to school.

Yeah I think the second suggestion is fine lol. I really don't care. I have nothing to hide in my locker lol.
TROJANS
TROJANS
372 posts
Nomad

hehe weed.
well i dont do any of that stuff but they have found stuff
in other people lockers like weed.
so yeai tihnk they should..

FutureUSMC
FutureUSMC
270 posts
Nomad

yeah hahahahha ok I have a story

Last week my friend's girlfriend put her thong in his locker. She was going over his house at the time and she didn't have a place to put it before her cheerleading practice. So during second period class there was a locker search. Sure enough when deputy thompson and the principal opened up his locker there was a pink and black laced thong. So they confiscated it and got him a counselor that works with homosexual children.

lol poor guy

Zega
Zega
6,921 posts
Peasant

I don't think they should.
Well, in my country they don't. But if they would, I would be in biiig trouble. o_o

TROJANS
TROJANS
372 posts
Nomad

jaja futureusmc
that sucks man poor guy
and zega what type of stuff do you have0_o

Showing 91-105 of 273