ForumsProgramming ForumFlash Tutorial Videos - Any interest?

26 6868
IQAndreas
IQAndreas
299 posts
Peasant

I have been wanting to create a series of FREE videos to help people learning Flash and Action Script.

I already have set up how to do it in my mind. Here are a few of the things that will be included:
* Users can try a piece of code, and be able to change around some variables to see how the final result changes. (Without having to copy and paste the code into Flash)
* The video will alternate between viewing code, a talking character, previews of how SWF files will result, and various animations to demonstrate points.
* The user will also be able to download anything they need, either individually, like each individual jpg or as file, or the entire project.

Since there are so many videos and tutorials already out there for beginners, I'm wanting to create videos also aimed at Intermediate and Advanced programmers, however, the beginners will not be forgotten.

Things I will be needing are:
* A voice for the main character(s) - This will probably be my voice to save time and hassle.
* Sound effects - This I believe I already have all I need.
* Artist - My artwork is terrible, no question about it. I need someone who will be able to draw the main character, any images needed in the project, and any other animations I may need. I am able to take images, and photoshop individual items around to create an animation, so the animator would not have the daunting task of drawing each and every needed frame.
* Sponsors - Would any company be willing to sponsor something like this? That way, everyone who contributes can get paid

If anyone knows where to get ahold of any of these things, please contact me.

Would there be much interest out there for something like this?

• 26 Replies
jpx111
jpx111
264 posts
Nomad

:O
A virtual flash screen?...
Ingenious

Never seen something like that before...hope it works out well

Zophia
Zophia
9,434 posts
Scribe

I guess I might as well show off the initial sketches for a design idea for the character(s) that will be in this here - feedback on what seems more appealing is most welcome!

http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z121/Mazzelh/Brainstormingdesignideas-1.jpg

Just sketches, off the top of my head.

Unathorizdwatermelon
Unathorizdwatermelon
16 posts
Nomad

good luck with the videos!

Samurai7x
Samurai7x
64 posts
Nomad

i could maybe help with the artwork so message my profile if you need me !!

jesse03
jesse03
4 posts
Nomad

This is a great idea. I think physics is a big topic that people would like to learn about if they haven't yet already.

crimsonblade55
crimsonblade55
5,420 posts
Shepherd

this hs to be one of the largest projects I have ever seen.At first I didn't know you wanted to make it interactive or whatever so I was "oh thats nice except there is already stuff like that" but now that you have explained it a bit more I really like the idea.I did find an e-book on Adobe.com that is 800 pages long and is free,but it doesn't give you any visuals or examples that are interactive.So I will be impressed if this is pulled off and wouldn't mind trying it out as a beta tester.I never have gotten to do any beta testing before so that would be a first,and I would suggest you make it an interactive version of CS4 since it has all of the stuff from CS3,but also more stuff that people may need to know about which would make their experience easier,such as the bone tool, and the new type of motion tweening along with some other things I can't think the name of,but yeah.If you want to talk about this further then keep in mind it is rare that I go on this forum section so I would suggest that you contact me on my profile page if you want to get in contact concerning possibly testing it or whatever else.I really like this idea though,so I would suggest you stick to it.I know Kongregate is working on something to help people program,so it would help if we have something of our own.

IQAndreas
IQAndreas
299 posts
Peasant

Sorry I haven't been on AG lately, or replied to any replies to my private page or emails. I have been swamped at work we are currently in the process of manufacturing a major order for England. (Ugh... So much work... Don't want to think about it...)

The good news is that I found a fantastic book which covers what I have been needing. The second good news is that I finally was able to negotiate with my ISP, so with in a few weeks I will have my own private servers up and running, and now for the first time, open to the public. (Yeay!)

The Flash Tutorial Videos are definitely on their way, but I have a few things which I believe take more priority currently. But not to worry, they will be done.

I'll keep in touch,
Andreas

PyroFactor
PyroFactor
50 posts
Nomad

This is exactly what i need. I am attempting to get into Flash myself. (I have the trial Downloaded.) Please consider the people that don't know ANYTHING about Flash. (Show how to make files, and what layers do, and Newbie stuff etc.) Post the link to my Profile whenever you make it, because im getting excited about this already.

sidheman
sidheman
3 posts
Peasant

I'd love to see (though it might be more useful near the end in most cases) how to put all the data in, but keep it compressed to a small file size for faster loading and the like. I've only made slideshow/movies with Flash and would love to expand out to games, and that has been my biggest problem on all accounts.

Also, I'd love to see different styles of movement control (ie instead of moving the player, the background and interact-able items move around while the player stays and such). I like the ones that the stage moves around the player but the player has free reign of everything, like Fancy Pants and stuff.

This is gonna be awesome either way. Can't wait!

17dman
17dman
786 posts
Peasant

Ill watch embut I dont know much about flash

crimsonblade55
crimsonblade55
5,420 posts
Shepherd

Ill watch embut I don't know much about flash

I think that is the point of people watching these videos is so if they don't know how to use Flash they can learn to use them in a hands on environment...that is the basic idea right?
Showing 16-26 of 26