ForumsSupport Forum[SUG'N] Splitting off Merits

23 3775
Gantic
Gantic
11,892 posts
King

This follows from this.

Suppose merited comments were split off from regular comments and shown on the front page of the game after they have been awarded a merit. They are the exemplary comments and shouldn't they be shown on the game page and not buried amongst pages of short comments?

It would be easier for users to formulate better ideas about a game from more informative comments as it is loading, in conjunction with the game rating.

• 23 Replies
ShintetsuWA
ShintetsuWA
3,176 posts
Nomad

Oh, you brought back my master plan... Thanks for finding that, but after all that hard work, Carlie believed that the idea wasn't going to help the moderators find merits in any way easier than it already is, and that the plan would be like the other merit recognition ideas too. I thought it was pretty good, and it reached a good number of views, but I don't think the moderators would need it.

Gantic
Gantic
11,892 posts
King

Moving off merits, not comments exactly, after they have been merited so other people can see them. They aren't helpful much packed in the back of several pages. If a mod's been through them already why not bring it to the surface so other people won't have to dig deep? That would save people some time digging through the comments as well to look for comments that they would find a worth to read. It's not exactly a second box to write good comments but more a second box to put good comments after they have been found.

RaptorExx
RaptorExx
2,202 posts
Farmer

A box for merited comments is a good idea. I don't think if they're 'voted up' enough they should be moved in there, for spamming reasons, but merited yes. It'd give newer users examples on what mods are looking for and it'd also be easier for on-site game creators to find out what's going on with their game.

Ricador
Ricador
3,722 posts
Shepherd

We pretty much shut down this idea a while back, i think you should just forget about it

Agent_86
Agent_86
2,132 posts
Nomad

For once I disagree with you, Ricador...

I actually think this is a great idea; a "hidden gem" that never should have been allowed to die.

A separate box with merited comments would really help on the game page.

Danstanta
Danstanta
1,702 posts
Blacksmith

Yes I would actually get credit for most of my Merits;
We work hard for them and it's all surrounded with spam; it's sad :[
Their scared! :O

Flippin3500
Flippin3500
2,581 posts
Shepherd

I think this is a good idea because what is the point for someone to write a long review and nobody get to see it. Users could just look at the reviews and see if they had the same opinion about the game as the one who wrote the review.

Gametesta
Gametesta
1,707 posts
Nomad

well it should a users option whether they should take the time to write a thought out comment.

skater_kid_who_pwns
skater_kid_who_pwns
4,376 posts
Blacksmith

Um......NO! Ok, my only beef with this is, if there are lets say.......5 pages of merits, someone can just go in and copy on from the 5th page. If it is an old game, chances are nether you or them will notice.

Septua
Septua
464 posts
Blacksmith

I personaly like this idea.

With that said there are a few pro's and con's on this idea tho.

Pro's:
1. Easier to look up merits for the users of the site (not the mods)
2. Easier for users to get insperation on commenting.
3. It gives the good example. good exaples are followed by good followers. i.e. think of parenting mostly good parents raise good kids.

Con's:
1.Skaterkid has a very valid point. it can be copied and reused.
2.Its a lot of more work for the mods so they have even less time to enjoy this site.

All and all. i like this idea however with the current mods to users ratio this idea is undoable and therefor declined.

you get my vote but like i said dont get your hopes up.

Sep

juan999999
juan999999
3,012 posts
Jester

Yes guys we all like it but Carlie already said no to this. She said its not hard to look for them etc etc.

Zophia
Zophia
9,434 posts
Scribe

Um......NO! Ok, my only beef with this is, if there are lets say.......5 pages of merits, someone can just go in and copy on from the 5th page. If it is an old game, chances are nether you or them will notice.
Have any game ever gotten, say, 50 merits?
If they were all placed right after each other, it would be easier to identify duplications, because there would be less to search through. Unlike with games were there may have been a merit on page 106 which is then copied to the front. Who'll remember? Who'll check back that far?
Sure it makes it easier to find merits to duplicate. But it makes it even more easy to find the original merit.

Its a lot of more work for the mods so they have even less time to enjoy this site.
It would be no more work for them than actually finding the merits. Of course it should be automated so every merit got moved to it without having to be so manually.

I love shooting cons...

This could really work. Instead of always only seeing spam, we'd be able to see the actual reviews, which would give them even more reason to be there. If one reads a good review of something, they would be more inclined to try it.

Just a thought, maybe make it as a link in the game description, 'reviews of this game', and then linking to a page with the merits?

If this is ever implemented, I hope they can make the merit letters a bit smaller. I dislike reading through those huge fonts when all other text is much smaller and my eyes are adjusted to that...
juan999999
juan999999
3,012 posts
Jester

Hey can't be at least give this s a shot? I mean what bad would it do? Let's beta test it right?

Zophia
Zophia
9,434 posts
Scribe

juan, do you like this idea or not? Your two posts seem to disagree with each other.

Yes guys we all like it but Carlie already said no to this. She said its not hard to look for them etc etc.
Actually it is ridiculously hard to find the good comments... Because of page after page of spam.
Okay, not hard, just annoying. Most often I don't bother looking for the reviews of a game, and I bet most others don't either. Because there is so much spam in the way, the merits are burried and forgotten...
Zophia
Zophia
9,434 posts
Scribe

Carlie said that about having a merit box and a comment box, right?
This idea is about having the comments that have been rewarded with a merit moved to another place, so that other people can see them. It is not to help the mods, it is to help users who would like to read the reviews...
Right?

Showing 1-15 of 23