ForumsSupport Forum[SUG'N] Splitting off Merits

23 3780
Gantic
Gantic
11,892 posts
King

This follows from this.

Suppose merited comments were split off from regular comments and shown on the front page of the game after they have been awarded a merit. They are the exemplary comments and shouldn't they be shown on the game page and not buried amongst pages of short comments?

It would be easier for users to formulate better ideas about a game from more informative comments as it is loading, in conjunction with the game rating.

• 23 Replies
ShintetsuWA
ShintetsuWA
3,176 posts
Nomad

Let's not forget the developers of the games that would like decent feedback as well =)

All they can do is look on that page and see how good their game is going.

Gantic
Gantic
11,892 posts
King

Carlie said that about having a merit box and a comment box, right?
This idea is about having the comments that have been rewarded with a merit moved to another place, so that other people can see them. It is not to help the mods, it is to help users who would like to read the reviews...
Right?

Yes, but half of everyone hardly understands what I'm trying to say. Not two boxes. One box for comments. Comment gets merited. It's shown in another box so it's easier to read them. And some people say I'm articulate and eloquent... -.-

This is not the same idea as the obne that is linked to.

1.Skaterkid has a very valid point. it can be copied and reused.
2.Its a lot of more work for the mods so they have even less time to enjoy this site.

1. People copy anyways, usually from the first page of comments. It's not hard to tell that a comment has been copied. After a while, people have distinct styles. Would it make it any easier? not really, for any given game realeased for about a day with about 7+ rating, there are 6 pages of comments. There are approximately 1.5 merits per page, giving a total of no more than 10 for the game. That's barely a page and merits and good comments don't come as often after the first 10 pages. With 100 comments per page, 5 pages of merits is up to 500 merits!!! I can say that that will never happen even with a billion users on this site. It's easier to see a copied merit since tey'll all be on the same page, I doubt even Sonny has 100 merited comments.
2. It can be the same way the merit notification system works. I'm not actually sure if that's automated or just assisted by some programmed function. Anything can be made easy for anyone. It's just getting there that's the trouble.
Zophia
Zophia
9,434 posts
Scribe

Yes, but half of everyone hardly understands what I'm trying to say. Not two boxes. One box for comments. Comment gets merited. It's shown in another box so it's easier to read them. And some people say I'm articulate and eloquent... -.-
You are, some people just don't always understand what they are reading. Happens to all of us.

I doubt even Sonny has 100 merited comments.
I'll go count. Since Estel should have cleared out most of the spam, it should be doable...
Later with the result~
firetail_madness
firetail_madness
20,591 posts
Blacksmith

Maybe a separate box for merited comments, or even lots of vote up comments.

That might help, it might also set an example for newbies on what a merit comment is, and it could link to the Moderators & Merits thread for more detailed info.

Septua
Septua
464 posts
Blacksmith

ok well i just listed the pro's and cons so far like i said you get my vote for this idea...

Sep

firetail_madness
firetail_madness
20,591 posts
Blacksmith

[quote=Septua]Pro's:
1. Easier to look up merits for the users of the site (not the mods)
2. Easier for users to get insperation on commenting.
3. It gives the good example. good exaples are followed by good followers. i.e. think of parenting mostly good parents raise good kids.

Con's:
1.Skaterkid has a very valid point. it can be copied and reused.
2.Its a lot of more work for the mods so they have even less time to enjoy this site.[/quote]

Well, yes it would be easier if all merit worthy comments were in the merit box, but how would the comment system know what box to put the comment in?

howlett
howlett
2,278 posts
Nomad

Thats a good idea Gantic because then also people wouldn't have to go scrolling through games to see what game they got their merit one.

Zophia
Zophia
9,434 posts
Scribe

*yawns and stretches*
Hey, remember I said I'd count the amount of merits earned on Sonny? I just finished. 37 merits scattered out over 222 pages. And I saw many copy/pasted attempts at getting a merit, and copious amounts of spam... I don't think Estel cleaned it up as much as Strop told him to...

You have to break Omen when he uses "Dark Omen".He won't hurt you and you will make him a good present!He will turn in to "Dark Omen" when "Break" is avalible!Trust me...It helped me a lot when i killed him...
That got a merit. I would like to know why...... But yeah. Even with that many pages, it's still less than 50 merits. So...
I like this idea very much. :3

Well, yes it would be easier if all merit worthy comments were in the merit box, but how would the comment system know what box to put the comment in?
The system wouldn't know. Once a comment got merited, it would automatically be transferred to the other box.
Showing 16-23 of 23