ForumsSupport Forumdelete/edit

16 2737
seven_11
seven_11
304 posts
Nomad

When you post something on the Forums and after reading through it you notice a typo or you posted it on the wrong topic instead of making another post apologizing or correcting you typo you could click on the edit button and fix it or you could click on the delete button and delete it
Yes i know you can delete things on your own profile thing
this could also help in some cases where if someone hacked or figured out you accounts password you could delete the posts you made before the mods or admins notice it

• 16 Replies
firetail_madness
firetail_madness
20,591 posts
Blacksmith

We haven't implemented this option because people can delete their spam posts or something before they can be discovered by mods, so there is no proof. Also, people could edit their posts to easily change the tide of the current discussion. I however, even with such things, am with this idea. I so want the edit option.

seven_11
seven_11
304 posts
Nomad

as you said about mods not seeing it the person could not won't to spam anymore and delete it or apologizing for what he/she said and if there where enough complaints for a particular user they could take action

firetail_madness
firetail_madness
20,591 posts
Blacksmith

I guess, but that would make it more complicated, no? And what if no one saw it? And what if they saw it, but didn't do anything?

seven_11
seven_11
304 posts
Nomad

If no one saw it and the poster decided to delete it, I don't see what's wrong with it. Also if someone saw but doesn't do anything about it then the person deletes it why should it matter

Zophia
Zophia
9,434 posts
Scribe

If you made a post you want to have deleted, just give a link to a mod asking them to delete a particular post and mention why.

Suggestion has been made before. I'd prefer the preview option, but who knows what we'll end up with~

Someone post a link to an old thread about this and I will lock this one... Till then~

miguelin11
miguelin11
2,905 posts
Nomad

If you made a post you want to have deleted, just give a link to a mod asking them to delete a particular post and mention why.

Yeah and we'll have to wait for a week before the posts gets deleted >_<
ledmonds
ledmonds
382 posts
Nomad

I do think being able to edit your posts would be a good idea it would save the mods a job of having to delete them all the time.

Destor
Destor
706 posts
Nomad

What if it only let you add on to your comment, and ir all appeared at the bottom with a very clear separation. Like this;

AN EDIT WAS MADE ON HTIS POST BY DESTOR AT XX:XX, JANUARY 4TH 2009

EDIT: whoops I meant to say it when I said ir. Sorry

And it gave you no AP, and if you edited again it had another clear separation. Just an idea I had.

imthebest
imthebest
1,690 posts
Nomad

thats a good idea but i don't think anybody is going to use that method

Zophia
Zophia
9,434 posts
Scribe

Yeah and we'll have to wait for a week before the posts gets deleted >_<
I'm on every day. Maybe a bit less in the next week because I'm starting school, but NoName and Estel are on a whole lot to these days. So... No, not a whole week, unless you're messaging one who doesn't have time...

Destor's version of the idea would at least prevent the double posts made only to correct typos... But I dunno...
seven_11
seven_11
304 posts
Nomad

May I make a point.
All the other forums that i have been on or have seen all have an edit and delete button and they don't have a problem with it

Zophia
Zophia
9,434 posts
Scribe

Have you noticed that AG's forums isn't like a lot of other places?
For one, it's a lot simpler and was coded from scratch, not build via some sort of template...
And I have actually never seen a forum where you could delete your own posts. But I haven't gone to many, so... Eh.

TheSid
TheSid
332 posts
Nomad

Actually, Destor has a very good idea, because if you are making a contest or something, it's very hard too browse thousands of pages to add new rules, update memberlists, and such.

Erasmus_Darwin
Erasmus_Darwin
59 posts
Nomad

Another way to provide for editing without allowing people to cover up misbehavior is to keep a separately viewable history of edits. That way a user could edit posts and fix up problems, but the hopefully rare cases of edit abuse could still be handled by the moderators. I would envision it working like a quick-and-dirty version of Wikipedia's history -- by default, you only see the last version of the post, but you can go digging through the past if the need arises.

seven_11
seven_11
304 posts
Nomad

Or, when you edit one of your posts under you post in a small lettering thing it says this post was edited on............................................

Showing 1-15 of 16