ForumsSupport ForumHarmless way to create more effective forumming

40 4726
plokkey
plokkey
4,571 posts
Jester

I think that there should be a function to up-vote forum posts. Some times a good point is brought up in a topic, but some people just ignore it. Because the post is good, the comment would be up-voted, and would be more noticed.

Also a good substitution to quote someone and just say "I agree".

Questions, Comments, problems..?

• 40 Replies
Carlie
Carlie
6,823 posts
Blacksmith

but we will have way too many stickied threads.

Yea, we really try to cut back on those. When it gets to too many, it just looks messy, and you can't see any of the more active threads. I think that if it were up to up-voting, many more would be sticked. Leaving up to moderators to choose what is sticked helps keep it impartial and limited.
PsychoIncarnate
PsychoIncarnate
1,037 posts
Nomad

I was at a forum where they had 2 different types of stickies. The rules and etc. that always stay at the top and other info and good threads under it, like a different sticky section.

plokkey
plokkey
4,571 posts
Jester

Sorry for the confusion, I meant posts, not threads.

Graham
Graham
8,052 posts
Nomad

always a chance someone would create a buncha ghost accounts and up vote their own comment 10 times

course that can happen with merits on comments...

Graham
Graham
8,052 posts
Nomad

agh i mean 10 ghosts up vote their own post

ShintetsuWA
ShintetsuWA
3,176 posts
Nomad

You know that can't happen without punishment Graham... same IP addresses. But the real matter is, what would be the other half of the bargain when we do vote up a post? Just to show that someone's got a point in a conversation? If it's going to be something like how merits are found, we could easily camouflage it by bolding our text. It could just be the simple matter that a person proved a good point in a debate... Or the person could get votes for giving good advice or helping someone out when they needed it. And when they get the votes, a number shows up next to the vote-up button. When you already voted up that comment, like how a review is voted in game comments, a happy face is replaced, with the total number of votes next to it. It doesn't necessarily need to have incentives for voting, it can just be to show someone how good of a post someone has typed out.

plokkey
plokkey
4,571 posts
Jester

You know that can't happen without punishment Graham... same IP addresses.

The think is mods and admins don't really keep track of the IP adresses.

@graham

What's great about this suggestion is that it can be compared to something that is already happening, no one wastes their time up-voting their own comments for merits, so no-one would even think to waste their time on forum posting, which doesn't even give you 25 points! Sorry for long run-on sentences.
NoNameC68
NoNameC68
5,043 posts
Shepherd

I kind of like the idea of "numbers" being posted. Sort of like the youtube comments. Of course, I do see a lot of people voting everythign down or up just because they want to. So I think there should be a little load time before it counts as a vote up/down.

plokkey
plokkey
4,571 posts
Jester

Voting down should not be an option at all. There's no reason to down vote, if it's offensive, just flag it.

NoNameC68
NoNameC68
5,043 posts
Shepherd

Some comments are plain stupid and would deserve being voted down. Not all stupid comments are flaggable. = /

ShintetsuWA
ShintetsuWA
3,176 posts
Nomad

I thought we took out the "vote down" thingy... If the guys don't like it, they can just leave it alone; no need hassling a comment that others might like instead. That way, it shows only the people that like the comments, instead of + votes and - votes struggling in a tug-of-war fight. Besides, we won't know the total number of people voted, only the overall score of the comment. Best if we leave the "vote down" option alone.

plokkey
plokkey
4,571 posts
Jester

Some comments are plain stupid and would deserve being voted down. Not all stupid comments are flaggable. = /

Then they simply don't get up-voted. If you down0vote it would be kind of harsh especially when they have no idea why their post was down-voted because they didn't think it was stupid.
Graham
Graham
8,052 posts
Nomad

same IP addresses
haha ever heard of a proxy? but i seriously doubt anyone would go through that much trouble to vote something up

instead of vote-ups there could be like a 1-5 rating system so people can vote if they dislike it too
plokkey
plokkey
4,571 posts
Jester

@graham

But then people would give unfair voting. I would rather stick to just plain up-voting. Is there a problem with that? Because I don't see one.

Graham
Graham
8,052 posts
Nomad

Is there a problem with that?

if you don't point out a stupid post they're bound to make more

1-5 might be high was thinking of 1-3 could be better
Showing 16-30 of 40