220 posts
Nomad

just saw it in the news!

• 27 Replies
Megamickel
Megamickel
902 posts
Peasant

You think that these people who invented amazing technologies were thinking about everyone else? Nope. I respect Rockefeller FAR more than anyone from the Salvation Army. Why? He made oil available to working-class families, allowing the day to not end when the sun went down, for families to have more time to spend together. Did he do it for the working class families? Hell no! He did it to get rich! But without his greed, oil never would have been made available to most people. Fact of the matter is that greedy people do things for themselves, but the end result is that it helps everyone else. Hording money may seem wrong to you, but if you earn the money, you can do whatever you want with it. That's the basis behind the American free market.

Armed_Blade
Armed_Blade
1,492 posts
Shepherd

I think your misguided. Not everyone is greedy. That man could have been just as ten times as smart and made it hella expensive. Yet, he didn't. The Basis behind the American Market is that you need everyone to buy. Not to have one man Monopolizing the worlds share of cash.

Megamickel
Megamickel
902 posts
Peasant

You know why he didn't make it 10x more expensive? Because he could afford to sell it cheaper, and therefore got a bigger share of the market. The REASON he got rich and got the monopoly is BECAUSE he made it available to the poor. Without that, someone else would have come in and undercut HIS prices so they could sell more and get rich. It all boils down to the ol' greenback. Love it or hate it, it's a truth. Anyone has the opportunity to get rich, but few have the will or the smarts. It's those few who control the market, as it rightly should be.

Armed_Blade
Armed_Blade
1,492 posts
Shepherd

True, now put it in a different perspective. This man is sharing the market thanks to prices, the way it should be. Now, a Company in England Producing whoever the heck knows what that is entitled and essentially needed to people to do this or that is madly ovverrun by price. Dun dun dun... and, sadly, No other buisness can do what this buisness can. Whatever it is they're making. [Such as some Companies that make medicine] And so, the price can be expensive, because someones willing to get it for way too much, which then puts people at a drawback for the economy. Thats happenening so much, the American market is declining.

Megamickel
Megamickel
902 posts
Peasant

That's not why the market is declining, but I'll let you keep your thoughts. Assume that one company DOES get a monopoly and take complete control of one market - people wouldn't like that. So if another company was created and started selling the product at a lower price, people would switch. A monopoly must still maintain low prices and efficiency, or else it will be overthrown by new people with new ideas.

Devoidless
Devoidless
3,678 posts
Jester

Hey, you know what? I am going to do a crazy feat of superhuman strength. Throw this derailed train wreck of a conversation back on track. With only my mind.

Even though a lot of people got all up in arms about it recently, guess what? That whole thing happened over a month ago.

Furthermore, I agree with some points of what he says. Granted he is just another on of those crazy southern preachers.
A lot of people are pissed about both sides of the democratic race playing the race card, although everyone knows it is going to be one of the most important cars to play in the game.
And although most of his ranting is just that, ranting, I too am sick of the way America is going and doing right now. Hell, forget right now. The past 50 years or so.
Bah, I lost my train of thought. But hey, I think I did my part.

Ryano123
Ryano123
12 posts
Nomad

He has somethin against rich white men

Megamickel
Megamickel
902 posts
Peasant

^Give it another 5 posts, it'll fall off track.

I go back to my original statement: I don't really care if he's black, white, pink, loves men or flies a plane. I won't vote for him because he's too liberal for me. I'd rather vote for Paul, but since that's not really a viable option, I'll vote for McCain. If he loses, I'll still stand behind whoever becomes president.

That being said, I don't think this pastor is going to really screw with Obama's chances of winning the democratic ticket. I'd still rather Hillary won, because McCain has a better chance of beating her.

Devoidless
Devoidless
3,678 posts
Jester

No. Listen to me. It will not fall off track if you kids stop posting all this senseless blather everywhere. We are talking about what Obama's former preacher said. Not goddam McCain, Ford or anything like that. Keep it on topic. Seriously. Normally I am level headed, but when someone just disregards my efforts to make intelligent, meaningful conversation I do not accept that. Straighten up and fly right please.

Some people are giving Obama a hard time for not denouncing his preacher 20 years ago. Which I find funny. I am sure that he does not always rant on that level. He did what anyone with that kind of power and status would when someone he has known for many years is trying to do something important but is faced with so much flack. He took a stand for what and who he supports, but it got blown out of proportion due to what he said, the currrent situation and the media's take on it.

Asherlee
Asherlee
5,014 posts
Shepherd

Ryano consistently writes worthless posts...

So, I am an Obama fan. Megamickel - attempt to convince me McCain is not going to be Bush part 2.

Megamickel
Megamickel
902 posts
Peasant

First off, conversations change topic sometimes. It happens. There's really not much to discuss about the article itself.

What was wrong with Bush? Please elaborate on your concerns and then I'll give you why I don't like him.

Devoidless
Devoidless
3,678 posts
Jester

Oh, look. A Texan that sees nothing wrong with Bush. Go figure.

Have you been living under a rock for the past 8 years? If so, you must of missed the whole unneeded war, horrible economy, attempts to make g.ays illegal, and the fact that he is a total moron. Other than all that, nothing really.

And I know you were not asking me. But I am sure she agrees with the reasons I list more or less.

Showing 16-27 of 27