ForumsProgramming Forumhow to create a platform shooter? Like Bubble Tanks.

6 5542
z0mg
z0mg
4 posts
Nomad

Hi, im new to flash gaming but Ive spent a full day reading about flash (especially about actionscripts) so i hope i could understand what you guys might tell me in actionscript language or something like that.

so im trying to create a platform shooter with a "top-down" view similar to that of Bubble Tanks. I got the character movement down, the crosshair, and the character rotating to wherever the crosshair is but I cant seem to find a way to make the character shoot to where the crosshair is... yah pretty nooby ><
yes, basically im trying to imitate Bubble Tank's engine for this game im trying to make.

please help!

• 6 Replies
Pazx
Pazx
5,845 posts
Peasant

Start smaller. Either that, or use the same game engine as bubble tanks...

Yeah... I can't really help...

Also, I like your name XD

z0mg
z0mg
4 posts
Nomad

haha thanks :]

waiit so this kind of programming is way out of my league?

dank
dank
986 posts
Peasant

just move the x coordinate by the sine of the angle of the player and multiply by speed. Just use cosine for y.

BTW, bubble tanks isn't a platformer

BTW2, bubble tanks doesn't use an open source game engine

z0mg
z0mg
4 posts
Nomad

oh that makes sense.

just move the x coordinate by the sine of the angle of the player and multiply by speed. Just use cosine for y.

umm ><

anyone can give me a source file to a game that im trying to describe or perhaps a tut? ive searched all over the net and i cant find a good one.
Darkroot
Darkroot
2,763 posts
Peasant

Try the asteroid one at http://flashgameu.com it follows the same movement principles as BT and the code is neatly put so you could easily learn from it.

z0mg
z0mg
4 posts
Nomad

thanks Darkroot

yah I was able to get the whole movement and shooting system together.
then I made some enemies that move around.

my new problem...
how can I use the hitTest system to kill them?

PS: i prefer that my bullets hitting them kills them if that's possible.

Showing 1-6 of 6