ForumsArt, Music, and WritingNicho's Writing Thread [Archives on Pg 47]

512 271982
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

Since thisnotalt( pretty sure I got the spelling wrong) suggested it, I think I will create a thread just to post my stories. Ok now to find them... *Digs deep into the AMW Section to find his stories*

• 512 Replies
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

Differentiated alt? As in?

*Confused, stressed-out, depressed*

Maverick4
Maverick4
6,804 posts
Peasant

The cake is really a pie! oooOOOoooh!

I think your ryming is loads better then mine
In fact Its really quite fine...

...Dang, still can get it...

Parsat
Parsat
2,180 posts
Blacksmith

Good command of rhyme, but a shame the lack of consistent meter weakens a verbal reading of it. If Alt is stubborn about meter...Lord knows I'm ten times more stubborn than him about it.

thisisnotanalt
thisisnotanalt
9,824 posts
Shepherd

You use a lot of perfect rhyme, near rhyme, elided rhyme, etc.

But really Nich, your lack of caring about meter is putting your poetic potential under a tempered glass ceiling. It's about a hundred times more important then you think it is - it's the heartbeat of poetry. A poem without a consistent heartbeat is like a human without a consistent heartbeat - something's wrong that needs attention. It's important to have at least a very basic meter, maybe supplemented with different foots every now and then.

In my poems, I usually switch off between trochaic and iambic, or dactylic and anapestic - with a Pyrrhic or Spondaic foot thrown in every now and then.

I've gotten worse about meter lately though. . . .

You've mastered rhyming. You need to try experimenting with meter though - all elements of poetry are important.

*feel like an english teacher*

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

Well I'll see what I can do...it's hard to do meter for me -_-'

You do sound like my English teacher!

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

New story is in the process of being written and perfected. Should be released next Monday or Tuesday hopefully.

Apart from being about war, I won't say much else.

As for speculation that it is GAIII, I'll just say in advance that it sadly is not.

Maverick4
Maverick4
6,804 posts
Peasant

But really Nich, your lack of caring about meter is putting your poetic potential under a tempered glass ceiling. It's about a hundred times more important then you think it is - it's the heartbeat of poetry. A poem without a consistent heartbeat is like a human without a consistent heartbeat - something's wrong that needs attention. It's important to have at least a very basic meter, maybe supplemented with different foots every now and then.

Or the person realizes whats wrong, gos to the hospital, but dies on the way there due to the fact blood is coming in irreular quantities to differnt parts of his/her body, causing them to turn grey, then die.

Heck, I like the poem. But then again, Alt's not on me for the meter problem. We have opposite problems.

I need to rhyme
So I need more time

You need meter
Before your poems...eh...
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

I'll complete that for you Mav.

You need meter,
Or your poems will splinter.

Maverick4
Maverick4
6,804 posts
Peasant

hmmmm doesnt seem to exactle rhyme...

You need meter
Before your poems peeter

as in peeter out

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

Ah huh. But meter terms confuses me. To be honest, I'm merely an amateur who happens to have inspiration in abundance, and a knack for rhyming.

goumas13
goumas13
4,752 posts
Grand Duke

I think that if you read this you might find some meter which fits you.

Maverick4
Maverick4
6,804 posts
Peasant

And I'm merely an amateur who writes something, edits it, revises it, and then wishes he had never wrote it because it takes up too much time. AND an amateur who doesnt have a knack for rhyming. I can write stories, but there ussualy not that good. And the good ones are drowned out by the bad ones. *lays face down on the ground*

thisisnotanalt
thisisnotanalt
9,824 posts
Shepherd

Ah huh. But meter terms confuses me. To be honest, I'm merely an amateur who happens to have inspiration in abundance, and a knack for rhyming.

Iambic meter is one unstressed syllable followed by a stressed syllable.
da-DUM da-DUM da-DUM da-DUM

Trochaic is the opposite of iambic. It has a stressed syllable followed by an unstressed syllable.
DA-dum-DA-dum-DA-dum-DA-dum

Anapestic is where there are two unstressed syllables followed by a stresse syllable.
da-da-DUM-da-da-DUM-da-da-DUM-da-da-DUM

Dactylic meter is when there's a stressed syllable followed by two unstressed syllables:
DA-da-dum-DA-da-dum-DA-da-dum-DA-da-dum

There are also types of special foots (a foot is one part of the meter in a line: in iambic, it would be one da-DUM, for example) called Spondaic and Pyrrhic.

A Spondaic foot is two stressed syllables. It's usually added to depict extra stress on something.
da-DUM-da-DUM-DA-DUM-da-DUM-da-DUM

A Pyrrhic foot is, inversely, two unstressed syllables. It usually depicts less stress on something.

da-DUM-da-dum-da-DUM-da-DUM-da-DUM

Did that help some? That's basic meter. I would go into pentameter, tetrameter and such, but it would be impolite to post a WoT in someone else's writing thread
Maverick4
Maverick4
6,804 posts
Peasant

Anapestic reminds me of a waltz. I tried to write a poem following that and I couldn't do it. I'll just write, and say I know when your like

Alt: 'Wow, you wrote in Pyrrhic foot!'
Me: 'Yea...'
Alt: 'Show me how you did it'
Me; 'Oh shi-'

thisisnotanalt
thisisnotanalt
9,824 posts
Shepherd

Pyrrhic isn't a whole meter. . just a variation. . . .

:P

Showing 166-180 of 512