Forums

ForumsPopular Media

[NECRO] Rock or Rap?

Thread Locked

Posted Apr 14, '12 at 4:34pm

wolfboystev693

wolfboystev693

32 posts

But yes. Music isn't a competition, it's expression. There aren't right or wrong, better or worse genres of expression. The only thing that matters is how effectively artists use those genres.

Yes u are definitely right.

and rap is a sub genre of rock anyways, as is alternative.

Alternative is a sub genre but not rap.
But even if that is that is the fact, rap is more inspirational than heavy metal.
Seriously what's inspiring in Heavy metal?

Posted Apr 14, '12 at 7:04pm

KhaoticSniper

KhaoticSniper

215 posts

Its very weird having Rock Vs Rap cause they are so diff, Rap is a small Genre but Rock is very big u have, Alt Rock, Pop Rock, Punk Rock, Heavy Metal, Classical rock and Etc, so its not really i can chose upon since i like both, but if they were levelled to each other i would chose ROCK.

Posted Apr 14, '12 at 8:13pm

murasaki9

murasaki9

1,396 posts

I say neither. Also, you can't really compare the two.
I for one don't go for rock or rap.

Posted Apr 14, '12 at 9:03pm

redfan45

redfan45

202 posts

Rock as in Rock and Roll and rockabilly from the 1950's
Otherwise Rap

Posted Apr 15, '12 at 2:28am

ihsahn

ihsahn

431 posts

But even if that is that is the fact, rap is more inspirational than heavy metal.

You agree with me that there's no point in judging entire genres of music, then turn around and say this.

What.

Posted Apr 15, '12 at 1:04pm

Schmiddy1234

Schmiddy1234

1,113 posts

i can like both genres at times. I love rock, any type, and i like some types of rap. Like the rap that plays on the radio a lot is good i only like the curent rap hits for rap.. But for rock, it is dapro

Posted Apr 15, '12 at 2:43pm

redfan45

redfan45

202 posts

Chicago House beats them both.

Posted Apr 15, '12 at 3:15pm

HahiHa

HahiHa

5,305 posts

Knight

For example, Metallicas ballads are very inspirational. And Amon Amarth, which is a sort of heavy metal-ish Folk metal, has many good inspirational songs too (not ballads). However there are some heavy metal bands that aren't inspirational at all.
Not all rap artists or songs are inspirational either (some really suck), it depends. As well as it depends on the heavy metal band or song. So this doesn't really tell you anything.

Posted Apr 15, '12 at 3:16pm

Schmiddy1234

Schmiddy1234

1,113 posts

I just remembered but my favorite rap artist is Eminem of course ;D

Posted Apr 15, '12 at 3:36pm

delossantosj

delossantosj

6,794 posts

I also think arguing which type of artistic expression is "best" just as pointless, but saying rap (by which you likely mean hip-hop music) is a subgenre of rock is factually incorrect.

funk and disco are also subgenres of rock. all three hip-hop, funk, disco, they all have no outside influences other than rock. thus they are subgenres of rock.