ForumsWEPR[necro]Ethics: Your choice

340 104726
DDX
DDX
3,562 posts
Nomad

This will be an ethical question thread, that will relate mainly to religious beliefs and ethics. Hopefully it will be a good idea and people will want to play.

Each week I will present a topic, and you may discuss it, and bring your morality into the question.

This week:
soldiers have come to search your house! They will kill you and eat you if they find you. You are hiding in the closet farther away from the door than your friend who is hiding underneath a sofa. The people eating soldiers stop in front of the sofa, and start bending over slowly to see if there is anyone underneath it. You see this through the crack in the door. You have 2 choices to jump out, scream and run out the door to save your bestest friend in the whole world, or you can watch them drag him away.

basically would you save yourself? or would you save your friend.

• 340 Replies
HiddenDistance
HiddenDistance
1,310 posts
Peasant

Why would people be reluctant to donate with the government involved?

DDX
DDX
3,562 posts
Nomad

I don't know, I made the assumption that because the orphanage ratted the corporation out to the government for more monetary gain, that they appear greedy. That would dissuade me from donating any more. It is like the tattle tale who rats out his friends who were cheating, sure he is celebrated as a hero in the school newspaper, but people will subconsciously avoid him because he did so.

HiddenDistance
HiddenDistance
1,310 posts
Peasant

So you don't think the perspective of the moral high ground will come out; in that, the greedy dealership that's trying to bribe an orphanage for poor children in return for tax breaks is getting what's coming to them for exploiting the children?

That would be my take on it - and very much so, the kind of message I would be getting to the press. Undeniably, the dealership would be.. reluctant to talk to the press because of the embarassing situation they're in. With their reluctance to appear on camera & make a rebuttal, I can paint the canvass however I choose; and I'm certainly going to do it in a way that makes me look altruistic & good.

DDX
DDX
3,562 posts
Nomad

I can paint the canvass however I choose; and I'm certainly going to do it in a way that makes me look altruistic & good.

good point.
Kyouzou
Kyouzou
5,062 posts
Jester

Chances are that the dealership is into something shady other than trying to scam the govt. out of its money, while I would love to make the kids happy and accept the van, i would report the dealership to the IRS and have them audited because there are greater risks then benefits in the situation. Plus people are all doing fundraisers to help orphanges and charity organizations, I would reach out the community to help.

Off topic:

Check out this site guys(and girls) It's one of the most fun online rpgs that i've played. Its free so don't worry about that.

Prison Struggle

DDX
DDX
3,562 posts
Nomad

Uhh... hey, lets not advertise on my thread kthxbai. Do it again and I will have to report you, this time I'm letting you off since you have given me a good response. I appreciate it if you can give some kind of insight into your own life, or having up coming detrimental exams or such. But please do not advertise websites here.

anyway I think I've milked the topic for all its worth

here is a new one

You are on a country road and see two neighboring farm houses on fire. One is yours and the other belongs to a new couple who just moved in. Your wife and child are at home as are your neighbors. You can only save one house. Which one do you save? But get this your child is over at the new couples house playing with their dog. What is your choice now?

Ah the family ethical dilemmas.

please give reasons for choices.

will update sometime

keep up the good work

Pixie214
Pixie214
5,838 posts
Peasant

so it is a choice between my wife or the new neighbours (who I most likely know little about so don;t have a relationship with yet) and my child. I think I can exclude the neighbours from this because they are less important than my family. So wife or child. I think I would go with my wife plus it is my house so it would have all my stuff in as well. We could have another child (not meaning to sound harsh) but its my wife she's everything (you can tell I'm not a parent can't you)

That was a tough one DDX I had to think for ages.

DDX
DDX
3,562 posts
Nomad

That was a tough one DDX I had to think for ages.

no problemo, that is the point of the thread.

Though I think people who are parents would answer differently
(you can tell I'm not a parent can't you)

yea lol.

Parents would most likely think that the children are the future so they are willing to give up the one they love for their future. I am still mulling this one over... since I have a girl that I love a lot too.
nonconformist
nonconformist
1,101 posts
Nomad

Hmm well... Its a hard one... Cuz it will end up the kid getting pissed at u for saving him/her instead of there mom, and vice versa. I would have to say thow, that atm I would save my wife. It is also my house, and has lots of my stuff in it. So saving your wife and trying to save your house would have to be my decision.

DDX
DDX
3,562 posts
Nomad

interesting thought about brining up the material objects in your house, but have you thought about the fire? I mean you'll end up dragging wife out, and watch both houses burn down. Still you're idea is very nice.

Kyouzou
Kyouzou
5,062 posts
Jester

Hmmm, I would save the children, because the ration of 3:1 dying and also my wife has a better chance of getting out or surviving the fire than the children. Plus the kids are the future are they not?

DDX
DDX
3,562 posts
Nomad

Plus the kids are the future are they not?

This is what I was thinking about in all the other threads (similar to mine, but are dead nao lolol) And I believe that the "right" thing to do is to save the neighbors and my child which is the future. But it would be really hard to do because there is the woman I love in the other house.
Tubey
Tubey
18 posts
Nomad

This is one of those things that you really can't answer for sure without being in the situation. I'd like to say that I'd save the kid and neighbors, but without being there who knows? I may sit there and decide that I can always have another kid with my wife rather than save my current one and the "strangers" next door, as bad as that sounds.

Kyouzou
Kyouzou
5,062 posts
Jester

Yeah, but something tells me it wouldn't be a happy marriage if my wife knew that i could've saved or child and didn't.

DDX
DDX
3,562 posts
Nomad

This is one of those things that you really can't answer for sure without being in the situation. I'd like to say that I'd save the kid and neighbors, but without being there who knows? I may sit there and decide that I can always have another kid with my wife rather than save my current one and the "strangers" next door, as bad as that sounds.

uhh... thats why it is to test your ethics... >_>
Showing 136-150 of 340