ForumsArt, Music, and WritingWhodunit?

135 19815
Moabarmorgamer
Moabarmorgamer
8,570 posts
Nomad

Ok well I'm pretty sure a lot of us has read a mystery story at some point, whether it be because you enjoy such stories, were so bored out of your mind you would do anything, or because it was an English assignment. Either way, that's what this thread is about. Somewhat.
Here's the deal of the Whodunit thread, which is slightly a contest. I will write a mystery story. Within said story will be several subtle clues as to whom the perpetrator is, however never will the story state clearly the perpetrator, how they committed their crime, the motive, or anything likewise. That...will be your job.
You, the reader, will attempt to solve the crime. The first person to correctly guess the perpetrator, how they did it, their motive for doing it, when and where the crime took place, and solid evidence that your theory is correct, will win. Winner's prize will be to give me a plot line, characters, etc. for the next mystery, if they wish. That of course, is optional. If no one has guessed the right answer in five days, then I will pronounce the mystery as unsolved, and you will have to pace trying to figure it out. You can still guess what happened in a previous unsolved mystery and I will tell you if correct or incorrect, but you will gain nothing from it.
Understood?
Terrific. I will release the first story shortly.

• 135 Replies
PrivatePapi
PrivatePapi
1,107 posts
Nomad

Well, welcome to the club. Try to get along with the other billion people. =D

dragonball05
dragonball05
1,717 posts
Shepherd

Ha ha, so I was completely wrong. >_< Some of the points I made before my actual guess were good, but some of the points I made I disregarded, which made me fail. :-P

Good job moat. I like how hard the last mystery was, it shouldn't be too much easier, or it's not a challenge. I mean maybe it should be very slightly easier so someone gets it right, but some people were very close, so yeah, I don't like things like this when they're too easy. :-)

Moabarmorgamer
Moabarmorgamer
8,570 posts
Nomad

Thanks, dragon.
Yeah, when I read your guess I knew you'd be mega headesking when I told you what really happened.

Moabarmorgamer
Moabarmorgamer
8,570 posts
Nomad

I'm so sorry this story took so long. Personal issues. Now prepare...

Det. Jason Carlos sighed as his cell phone rang. He answered it wearily, having just spent all night trying to solve a new case he'd just gotten. Some punk had broken into a pharmacy and stolen Oxycontin, Ritalin, and a few medications used for patients at hospitals, like blood pressure medicine. He just couldn't figure it out, and workaholic that he was, he'd spent all night pacing.
"Hello?" he asked, rubbing the grit out of his eyes.
"Is this Jason Carlos?" asked a voice on the other end of the phone. He hadn't heard it before.
"Yeah, that's me," replied Det. Carlos. He had a faint glimmering of his mother and his middle school English teacher reprimanding him for using incorrect grammar on the phone, but was too tired to care.
"It's about your uncle." said the voice on the other end. Det. Carlos covered the mouthpiece and swore. His uncle had just been admitted to one of the best hospitals in the state for cancer.
"What is it?" he asked, dreading the answer.
"He's dead."

"Jay, you know this isn't a real case, right?" asked Nikki Saint-James, having to walk briskly to keep up with her friend.
"Yeah, I know," said Det. Carlos "But when I get some solid evidence that my uncle was murdered, I can take the case to the chief and she'll know it's legit."
"Even if you do get some solid evidence to prove that this non-case is a case, you know the chief won't let you in on it. You have personal involvement," Nikki replied.
"Yes. I know that. The chief doesn't know though," said Det. Carlos.
"Even so, you already have a case to work. The stolen medicines," Nikki reprimanded.
"I know. But I at least have to go down to that hospital and check it out."

"So, Detective, what is the problem again?" asked Doctor Ryan Heiser as he trotted next to Det. Carlos at the hospital.
"Nothing's the problem. I just would like to do a routine once-over," Det. Carlos replied.
"I see. So...you need access to the building?" Dr. Heiser said.
"That would be nice, yes," said Det. Carlos.
"That can be arranged. In the meantime-" Dr. Heiser began, but Det. Carlos couldn't hear him. A nurse was explaining something to a visitor, and it was too loud.
"-I'm afraid we don't accept walk-in admissions here unless it's an absolute emergency. There's a twenty-page application form and a very, very long waiting list," the nurse said.
"As I was saying, that can be arranged," continued Dr. Heiser. "But I don't see the problem. One death in a hospital is not uncommon."
"Maybe, maybe not," said Det. Carlos. He sighed. He knew he would need to get a look at the body. Unfortunately, both he and the coroner, Dan Grimes, despised each other. Grimes would tell the chief, Carlos would get a telling off.So he would have to figure out another way.

"So, doctor...Carlos, is it?" said the med student doubtfully. The name tag on his chest read "Josh Rant"
"Yeah." said Det. Carlos. He hated lying, but he hated losing a lot more. "Now impress me."
"Alright. The patient here was admitted two months ago, with lung cancer. Symptoms included a chronic cough, breathlessness, extreme fatigue, weight loss, pain in the ribs, and coughing up blood," said the med student, standing in front of Carlos' uncle's corpse. "He also had a history of blood pressure problems, and was taking medication for that."
"Uh-huh. And what strange was there about his death?" asked Carlos.
"Well, his blood pressure didn't go up when we administered meds," said the student.
"And what does that tell us?"
"He probably took too much blood pressure medication by accident. You know, the elderly have to take a lot of medicine. They might confuse one pill with another and take it at the wrong time, or take it, forget, and take it again. But that's happened before, it's nothing too odd." said the student.
"And what would happen if, say, he took too much BP medicine?" asked Det. Carlos.
"Well, it could kill him if he took far too many. But he probably just fainted and knocked his head on something," said the student.
"And why do you think that?" asked Carlos.
"You see the side of his head? There's a bloody lump, and his outfit is torn," said the student.
"So he fell on something." said Carlos.
"Yeah," said the student.
"But he wasn't supposed to be out of bed," Carlos added.
"That's right," said the student.
"So it wasn't the cancer that killed him?" asked Carlos.
"That's right. He had low hypotension, and that was probably what made him get up in the first place, because one of the symptoms of that is dizziness. Then he fell, most likely," answered the student.
"But he's at a hospital. How could he accidentally get too many drugs?" demanded Carlos
"Well, sometimes the doctors or nurses do make mistakes," said the student doubtfully.
"Alright. Well done," said Carlos, and he bolted out of there.

"Jay, the chief is onto you," said Nikki Saint-James.
"Just hold her off for a while longer," said Det. Carlos, wishing he hadn't answered his cell phone.
"She's going to bite your head off if she catches you, let alone if this affects your other case," warned Nikki.
"Yeah, yeah I know," said Det. Carlos dully. He'd faced the chief's wrath before. It definitely wasn't something you wanted to be up against, but it wasn't too awful.
"Look, you should probably handle your other case now," his friend said, stung by his tone of voice.
"Fine, fine," said Det. Carlos. And without further ado, he hung up. He sighed. Now for the pharmacy case.

Det. Carlos examined the site of the break-in. The pharmacy had been left untouched, the crime scene tape still holding an invisible barrier. The deadbolt on the door helped too, of course. But the detective had a key. Det. Carlos opened the door and took in the sight. The window was smashed, presumably with a rock, but there was no item Carlos could see that could be used to break the window or anything at the scene. Either that meant the perp used something else or they took the projectile. Examining the rest of the room, Carlos noted a small gold chip. He put his plastic gloves on and picked up the earring, noticing that it wasn't real gold. He was willing to bet that the faux gold chip was from the perp, probably scraped off when the robber broke in. Now he had the smallest inkling of a clue.

"So...you're the nurse that took care of Mr. Carlos?" asked Det. Carlos of a nurse. He was back on the the hopsital case.
"Yes, Detective," she said. She was preoccupied, reading a list. It was just thin enough for Det. Carlos to read it. It was a waiting list for patients who wanted in the hospital. Franklin Hope, Oswald Carter, Leanne Morigan, Cara Race, and Thomas Lynn.
"Right. So what-" started Det. Carlos, but was interrupted. Josh Rant, the med student who'd given him the info on the body, had spotted him.
"Hey! Doctor Carlos!" exclaimed Rant, waving. A gold ring on his hand glinted in the harsh hospital light.
"Crap," muttered Det. Carlos. He ran.

"So...let's try this interview again," said Det. Carlos. This time he was in the police station. Couldn't take any chances.
"Right," said nurse Jackie Lynn, fingering her gold earring.
"So did you-" Carlos started, but was interrupted by the chief.
"CARLOS!" she bellowed. Carlos gulped.
"Yes, ma'am?" he stuttered.
"What's this I hear about you working a second case?" she asked.
"Nothing," Carlos denied.
"Right," chief said sarcastically. "Listen up, Carlos! Solve both cases or you're a goner!"

Now it's your turn. I'm really sorry about the length, again. I personally liked the first one better.

the_manta
the_manta
4,536 posts
Peasant

I meant to say this before, but I never quite got to it...

So he did kill him while he was having an episode!

Anyway, about to read this new one. You're coming out with your stories way faster than me. I just have an extreme case of writer's block. =/

Maybe watching some Monk will give me some ideas.

Moabarmorgamer
Moabarmorgamer
8,570 posts
Nomad

Maybe watching some Monk will give me some ideas.

A fellow fan!
Obsessive
Compulsive
Detective
High fives!
Anyways, at least I can count on one new person trying to solve this one. TSL is out for the moment, don't think he'll be able to try.
the_manta
the_manta
4,536 posts
Peasant

High fives!

N-Natalie, wipe. Wipe!

Too bad TSL3 can't try. D:
Moabarmorgamer
Moabarmorgamer
8,570 posts
Nomad

Lol.
Yeah, it's too bad TSL can't try =(. But we still have the awesomeness that is Mantaz! And you will actually submit a real guess this time, right?

the_manta
the_manta
4,536 posts
Peasant

And you will actually submit a real guess this time, right?

I was low on time. >3>

Besides, I was onto something when I made that guess. :P

Anyway, yes, I'll get to it. Let me gather the facts & such, then I'll give it a shot.
Moabarmorgamer
Moabarmorgamer
8,570 posts
Nomad

Yeah, you were actually on to something. But you completely missed the Thomas Hack part.
But I didn't mean that as an insult or anything, just a little ribbing.
Yup. I'll kick back, watch some Psych(I have to catch up on Season 3) and then I'll come back in, oh, say an hour. See ya!

the_manta
the_manta
4,536 posts
Peasant

Ah! A Psych fan too! Excellent!

Anyway, I'm convinced I know who the real murderer is, and the motive, but I'm not entirely sure I know the murder weapon...

But I'll give it a shot.

I'm going to accuse nurse Jackie Lynn. She had the motive, the time, and the alibi. There was only a little substantial evidence against her, that being the gold chip found in the pharmacy. Now, that may have been a different case, but it was committed by the same person: Jackie Lynn. It ties into this case in that she got her murder weapon from the pharmacy; the drugs she stole.

Now for the motive. I looked back at the waiting list for admitted patients and noticed something peculiar about one of their names...
Thomas Lynn.

He must have been related to Jackie, but he was at the bottom of the waiting list, perhaps putting his life at stake or something. We may not know anytime soon, but that's beside the point. Now, Jackie must have loved her (I'm going to refer to Thomas Lynn as her father from now on, mmkay?) father and wanted the premium care. But the problem, simply put, was there were no spots left. And the solution? Open one or more up.

She was a nurse at the hospital, which gave her the liberty to come in and "take care" of them whenever possible. But that wouldn't matter, because no one would notice what was going on. It was a simple matter of switching all of the patients' medication. If someone died from a medical condition, or simply taking too much medicine, nobody could point fingers, because it was an accident. His uncle's normal blood pressure from when his meds were administered show that he just happened to have been given the stolen blood pressure medication.

But I think you get the point.
Murderer, Jackie Lynn.
Thief, Jackie Lynn.
Weapon, stolen drugs.
Motive, to get her sickly father into the best hospital in the area.

*Bows*

the_manta
the_manta
4,536 posts
Peasant

Ah, just out of my fear of being nitpicked, let me clarify that the gold chip came from Jackie's earring. She had to resort to killing because it would have taken a very long time for her father to be admitted, due to the hospital being of such premium quality. The fact that no other patients have died yet make me doubt she did this to multiple patients, so let's make it just towards uncle Carlos.

*Bows again*

Jessikar
Jessikar
67 posts
Nomad

Alright. I am going to have to say I think that Nurse Jackie Lynn is responsible. She used the medicine stolen from the pharmacy, most likely, to poison her patient.And motive is that Thomas Lynn is on the waiting list. Perhaps she wanted to get him in, since he was a relative.
However, I also noticed that medical student Josh Rant also displayed a gold ring, and it's a possibility he's the perp. Note how it is stated several times that this is a premiere hospital. Must take some supreme skills to get in. My theory: Rant doesn't have the skills, so it's possible he poisoned Uncle Carlos, planning to miraculously save him and prove he is worthy of the school. And that he stole the drugs from the pharmacy to use.
Those are my two guesses(Jon(I'm being nice so he doesn't choose to disqualify me) said that you can have two guesses). Whichever one is righto!
Now...dinner!

Tonyo012
Tonyo012
111 posts
Nomad

it was in fact dorathy winchesterchenfield, yes i know everything im kind of good looking.

Moabarmorgamer
Moabarmorgamer
8,570 posts
Nomad

Tony, if you're going to post, at least make it an actual guess, don't spam. Or at the very least, don't do it in my thread. Next time it will be flagged.
Manta and Jessica were both right. Just look at their posts for the answer, I'm too lazy to explain right now, they both did it pretty well. Next story will be released whenever I feel like it.

Showing 121-135 of 135