ForumsWEPRBlack holes

34 9836
XCoheedX
XCoheedX
924 posts
Scribe

I'm not totally sure, but I think I have the right spot to post this.

I want to see what you all think of what actually happens in a black hole, or just what you know about them. I read one book that explained a black hole as a stretching of space as it gets bigger and it's gravity pulls everything in. It also said that in the black hole, you can actually get to other dimensions! That last part I don't believe, but i want to see what you guys have to say.

• 34 Replies
Ricador
Ricador
3,722 posts
Shepherd

Moegreche, that is an interesting thought that there might be little black holes floating around.

If that is so then couldn't we create them at will and possibly learn more about them since at this point we are virtually clueless?

Strop
Strop
10,817 posts
Bard

Yep, good point. I'm not entirely sure what the point of gravitons is- originally I thought scientists were trying to do some broadly reductive move to unify the various forces (strong, weak, gravity, electromagnetic, if I remember right). More recently it seems apparent that a more appropriate move would be to redesign our paradigm, or be clarify the differences between various physics paradigms themselves.

Moegreche
Moegreche
3,829 posts
Duke

Yeah, now they're just slamming Hydrogen particles into each other to see where the electrons go. It's totally chaotic but I guess they think they can figure something out.
So they go an build a 12 mile particle accelerator in Switzerland (I think) to slam together Cesium or who knows what. Crazy physicists.

Ricador
Ricador
3,722 posts
Shepherd

yes but if it helps in understanding the universe i guess it's fine

Bratt02
Bratt02
403 posts
Shepherd

As I remember through our Science class, Black Holes are made of stars that are dying or fading away. No one can really see them, but there is a device used to detect X-ray light or whatsoever it is called. Yes, it is true that Black Holes expand because more stars in a group fades or dies. And the gravitational pull is strong. But there is no such thing as another dimension coming inside of a Black Hole, I think. But there are other galaxies that can send you to another dimension! Hope this could help.

Strop
Strop
10,817 posts
Bard

...other galaxies that send you to another dimansion? Are you talking multiverse or wormholes or what?

Either way, the former is speculative cosmology and the latter is theoretical physics a la Hawking.

Devoidless
Devoidless
3,678 posts
Jester

If people create a black hole on earth, that could potentially be very bad.

There is a chance that if one is made, that it would consume our whole planet. Where the hell are you supposed to keep something that can swallow light and defies a lot of what we as humans know? A shoe box?

Eshploded
Eshploded
469 posts
Nomad

Wrong. A paper bag would do the trick! You know... its what they were designed for in the first place! That special shape and flexibility is what makes it perfect.

Jk.

Black holes are what used to scare me enough to drop astronaut out of my career list when I was in 4th grade. I'm pretty sure black holes would suck matter into a certain point in that black hole and super compress it. Aren't worm holes (different than black holes) the ones that supposedly transport things across time-space?

XCoheedX
XCoheedX
924 posts
Scribe

That would be true. I'm pretty sure that it tears open time, so that would be the way to time travel. I don't exactly want to be an astronaut, but i do want to be an astronomer.

florglee2
florglee2
1,778 posts
Peasant

yea, ull get way stretched out till u can roll yerself into a circle that a drunk elephant could run thru, ull be so stretched.

theone
theone
394 posts
Nomad

black holes are very possible NASA is get good info on those thing saying that they are real

Skipper8656568
Skipper8656568
325 posts
Peasant

In a black hole you feel every thing and nothing i once heard on the history channel

Devoidless
Devoidless
3,678 posts
Jester

..because, you know, people would really know that.

That is just another theory that they made to sound awesome. No one knows, and will ever know I reckon. If someday, a human does venture into a blackhole, I doubt that they will be able to relay back how they felt.

Ok, I might be wrong. I bet they will say one thing:
"Grmphlkcs!"

DaMasta333
DaMasta333
361 posts
Nomad

A black hole happens when an unstable star collapses in on itself and eventually becomes a single point of almost infinite density - and with so much gravity that even light cannot escape it. The way that scientists found black holes is when they couldn't see a star where it was supposed to be - and stars around it were closer together, an effect of the immense gravity involved.

Necrotic
Necrotic
195 posts
Nomad

A Black Hole occurs when a dying star's (of about 5-8 times the mass of the Sun)
core becomes unstable and colapses on itself which will create a supernova and eventually leave behind a Black Hole, a point in Space-Time which has become a singularity or a point in which the gravitational pull is so strong, the escape velocity of the mass generating the gravitational pull exeeds the speed of light, nothing can escape... for a while, Black Holes eventually release the matter they "caught" in the form of Hawking Radiation until the Black Hole itself will evaporate into nothing. If something or someone will enter a Black Hole, the only thing that can stop them from getting Spaghettified is another object of immense density to counter the awesome gravitational pull of the Black Hole; and perhaps discover if there is something on the other side.

Showing 16-30 of 34