Forums

ForumsWorld Events, Politics, Religion, Etc.

Black holes

Thread Locked

Posted Apr 9, '08 at 2:00am

Necrotic

Necrotic

199 posts

A Black Hole occurs when a dying star's (of about 5-8 times the mass of the Sun)
core becomes unstable and colapses on itself which will create a supernova and eventually leave behind a Black Hole, a point in Space-Time which has become a singularity or a point in which the gravitational pull is so strong, the escape velocity of the mass generating the gravitational pull exeeds the speed of light, nothing can escape... for a while, Black Holes eventually release the matter they "caught" in the form of Hawking Radiation until the Black Hole itself will evaporate into nothing. If something or someone will enter a Black Hole, the only thing that can stop them from getting Spaghettified is another object of immense density to counter the awesome gravitational pull of the Black Hole; and perhaps discover if there is something on the other side.

Posted Apr 9, '08 at 2:18am

Strop

Strop

10,823 posts

Hm, where did that come from? That source seems to be a little less recent.

Also, I completely missed Ricador's post from a coupla days back:

If that is so then couldn't we create them at will and possibly learn more about them since at this point we are virtually clueless?

I believe this is already happening- though not quite in the same manner as one might thing. More like I think a few years ago I read an article about scientists playing with this plasma-liquid that created a light vortex, behaving like a black hole of sorts...

...if anybody knows anything on this topic I'd be grateful.

Posted Apr 9, '08 at 12:22pm

garifu

garifu

172 posts

We may experience a black hole yet, when the Large Hadron Collider is finished in Europe. Eep!

Posted Apr 9, '08 at 1:43pm

Moegreche

Moegreche

2,755 posts

Nah, that's just a particle accelerator.  But man, 12 miles of particle accelerator!  I think the estimates are that they will be able to accelerate particles at 97% light speed, which if that's correct would be really sweet.

Posted Apr 9, '08 at 3:41pm

garifu

garifu

172 posts

I thought I heard that the particle accelerator could create mini black hole, due to the possibility of matter and antimatter coalescing, or the energy of collision condensing or something... and duh, I know its an accelerator, sheesh :)